The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your patching and unpatching strategies for your modular synth?
Old 7th September 2020
What are your patching and unpatching strategies for your modular synth?

I mostly use Doepfer cables and all of them have a color/length relationship, so I know exactly what cables are longer and what are shorter. For me, this is the quickest way to manage the cables. Talking about unpatching, I tend to place them in order, by colors, in my cable holder (a gift from Ladik) so I have it all well organized. What's your strategy for cable management of your modular synth?

Patch notes:
-Mutable Instruments Plaits in particle noise model
-Doepfer Noise and Mutable Instruments Ears for the random triggers
-ALM Pamela New Workout and Xaoc Devices Zadar for modulation
-Happy Nerding FXAid for reverb FX
-Xaoc Devices Praga and Befaco STMix for mixing

My modular synth: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1270259
Old 7th September 2020
Lives for gear

I'm color blind. I use all black cables.
The super shorties go on the shelf in front of the modular, the other lengths on the keyboard to my right.
It's only 50 cables.

Now cable management in my studio, ugh! Hide it all away. :-)
Old 8th September 2020
DSC
Gear Addict

I started with one color back in the day, but that got to be a big mess of wtf
So I moved to 'color by length' and I first thought all is good with the world, but then I added more ambient light and now I find it really does not matter as much.

In this pic I don't think you can tell what the color of cables really are.
(Pair of CV synced Eventide Space pedals anyone?)

And I use very vibrant colors and all custom made.

On the video side of things I like to cable strap my RGB color signals together, but don't like to use straps with my audio gear.

Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

Ooooo! I like the cable tie idea. I just have a little box so far. Lol!

Your multicolor cables reminds me of the piles of TV salvage resistors I had my little sister reading the colors off for me when I was a kid. I can reliably see about one color, not counting black and white, and that's blue. So four colors: black, white, blue, and some other 4th color.

So... no color works much better for me over the long run. :-)

I like the RGB bundles!
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Guru

Mostly color/length here, though at some point, I ended up with a ton of short white ones that I keep picking up thinking they're the medium length ones. Purple and pink are the longest colors.
Old 13th September 2020
Thanks for the detailed answers. In other forums some people have talked about:
-using different colors for each voice.
-using different colors for Audio, CV control and Gates/clock
-using the same color for the "core" of the patch
-using the same color for the "always patched the same everytime I use the modular" and other colors for the test.

Is always good to know other people thinking.
Old 13th September 2020
Lives for gear

Yeah, colors great - if you can see it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Yeah, colors great - if you can see it.
I assume you can discern light vs dark, so you could use a light for CV and dark for audio approach. Or whatever distinction makes sense for you.

OTOH, you that stuff for years now I believe and do fine with cables all in black.

Masi

PS: It's only until I read your post about colour blindness that I realized how many devices rely on colour to convey information.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitito View Post
I assume you can discern light vs dark, so you could use a light for CV and dark for audio approach. Or whatever distinction makes sense for you.

OTOH, you that stuff for years now I believe and do fine with cables all in black.

Masi

PS: It's only until I read your post about colour blindness that I realized how many devices rely on colour to convey information.
Black is really no problem for me. I never color code anything for myself, so it's not like I use grey scales or anything, when I do it's for other folks to use. I just pick stuff that doesn't like to same for me - I have no idea what color they are.

I just sort the cables by length, clearly we all do, but color plays no positive role in my life. That's the way I see them.

For me the world is black, white, blue, yellow, and lots, and lots, and lots of mud.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
For me the world is black, white, blue, yellow, and lots, and lots, and lots of mud.
Four colours are enough for me when it comes to colour coding. More of them and it gets confusing. A kind of mental mud

Masi
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitito View Post
Four colours are enough for me when it comes to colour coding. More of them and it gets confusing. A kind of mental mud

Masi
I hear you.

I have six lengths. I pull the four long ones off in one stretch, and sort them in two groups into my lap. Then go back for the two short ones. I can do it all on my lap or the keyboard in front of me, or in my hands.
📝 Reply