The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SE Quadnic question
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear

SE Quadnic question

I want to get this and run each out through different modules for treatment. But my question is do I need to give it anything other than CV ins to get it to trigger sounds? I noticed it doesn't have gate or other trigger input.
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
I want to get this and run each out through different modules for treatment. But my question is do I need to give it anything other than CV ins to get it to trigger sounds? I noticed it doesn't have gate or other trigger input.
Oscillators oscillate all the time, you don't need to trigger them. Usually you run an oscillator into a VCA to control its volume. The VCA volume can be controlled by several things, but an envelope generator is commonly used. Its the envelope generator that gets triggered to send a control voltage to the vca...

In short, this module will just continuously drone as soon as you give it power, you don't even actually have to give it CV - CV is just there to vary the pitch of the drone (and you can also change the pitch with the knobs, no cv required for ouput)
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

I think I can by without a vca (or use one from a semi mod) but how necessary is an EG? Otherwise it just sounds like some sort of morse code? Could be kind of cool. Thing is my ordered 6U mod is already full so interested to know about EG.
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sds1fs1r View Post
I think I can by without a vca (or use one from a semi mod) but how necessary is an EG? Otherwise it just sounds like some sort of morse code? Could be kind of cool. Thing is my ordered 6U mod is already full so interested to know about EG.
There's a modular cliché that "you can never have enough VCAs"... so maybe not quite that easy! VCAs have other uses too - they are a way to automate control of the amount of "something", so without them you are basically stuck using everything at maximum amount. (be it volume in this case, or often amount of cv or modulation)

To put it bluntly, not sure how far you are going to get in a 6U with neither VCAs nor envelope generators....

You seem to have misunderstood what I meant by a drone. Not like morse code - just a continuous unbroken tone. A VCA is needed to break up the tone into separate notes (and perhaps even more importantly to give it some dynamics like being quickly loud at the onset and then slowly fading out). Unlike a piano where the note is generated when you hit a key, in synths the tone is there all the time, pressing a key turns up the volume while you hold down the key and sets volume back to zero when you release. The issue is that the "volume" setting is not part of the oscillator, its the job of the vca.

Now in a pinch, there are a few substitutes you can use in place of a VCA (at least for the "volume" problem) but they have their own issues. For example you could use a filter instead with the cutoff maxed out to get you the zero volume, but then you won't be able to use the filter "normally" as setting the cutoff to anything else won't give you the zero volume, so the oscillator will bleed through between notes (in fact there are quite a few filters that won't even reach the zero volume point at their most extreme settings). Here though you will need an EG to open the filter to get sound to pass through...

...which leads to your EG question. They don't really do much on their own own other than generate a changing voltage.You have to apply this voltage to something else, like the filter cutoff as above, or the changing pitch of an oscillator, or the volume via a VCA. In fixed architecture synths there's usually an envelope generator hard-wired to the VCA that creates the illusion that EGs control the volume, but in modular you have to make those connections... and also have the required modules to connect!
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks Butter. I changed my configuration some after ur post. It is now more in line with my original vision of having mostly sound processors for my non-modular world. I did get a mixer inside the modular and Strymon modules for safely bringing audio out of the modular. In the end I dropped the Quantic even though it seems cool.
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Guru

In response to the original question, all the Quadnic itself needs is CV to control the pitch and cables to the individual outputs. Check out as many demos as you can, though. I personally like the Quadnic, but others complain that they don't like its tone. YMMV.
📝 Reply