The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building a Eurorack equivalent to the Arp 2600
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear
Building a Eurorack equivalent to the Arp 2600

Since Korg has done a horrendous job with the marketing and availability of their 2600 reissue, I'm saying fvck it and would like to build a modular synth with equivalent capabilities. I already have some nice oscillators, filters, and VCA, but I'm looking for modules similar to the 2600's voltage processors, preamp input, and S+H. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, no Behringer products are desired.
Old 16th August 2020
Old 16th August 2020
Lives for gear

Maths - for env following slew attenuation and inversion
Any S&H - there are literally dozens
Preamp will be difficult to match exactly

Move this to modular forum?
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Move this to modular forum?
I probably should.
Old 18th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequadix View Post
Everything has been sold out. I suspect this maybe due to him working on projects at Behringer or possibly COVID-19 issues.
Old 11th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Everything has been sold out. I suspect this maybe due to him working on projects at Behringer or possibly COVID-19 issues.
That might change though. In one of his social media posts, he referred to himself as a former employee of Behringer.
Old 12th September 2020
Already?
Old 12th September 2020
Lives for gear

https://www.studioelectronics.com/pr...tonestar/2600/

I always felt this was a good start. I used to have one, thought it sounded great, but sold it when I got a TTSH kit. The TTSH is still incomplete. I would imagine you could get damn close with the SE modules.

The amsynths guy is almost always out of stock. He has small runs of a module or 2 but his stuff is so in demand; they sell out quickly. Like the whole Rabid Elephant thing.

If you would have gone for the 2600, you could always get the TTSH from synthcube. I think they are still offering built versions.
Old 15th September 2020
There Arp Odyssey was almost identical, especially sound wise.
You could buy a rack mount Karp and add a rack spring reverb?
Kind of expensive I guess, but you could get someone to add mini-jack break out points on the Karp.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

I guess there are also two issues here : one is the sound & practical functionality of the 2600 ...all achievable I guess with carefully picked modules.

But the other thing about the 2600 is the layout, the size, the way it 'plays' as an instrument. This to me is equally as important - really the 2600 isn't a particularly featured or 'clever' synth - it's more about how it all comes together as an overall experience - a true instrument - that's what makes it special.

And I say this as someone who was lucky enough to get hold of a KARP 2600 earlier this year... that's been my experience.
Old 15th September 2020
M32
Lives for gear

Certainly get the Instruo Io47 filter, it is based upon/inspired by the Arp, and was cause for me selling my Korg Oyssey.

AH oscillators are pretty ballsy and a good recomend.

I can also highly defend the Livewire AFG. big and fat, and so many options. There's all your standard outputs, saw, sine, triangle, square, pwm, a sub that can be square or saw (my faovourite), a special pwm with four different modulation points, and a circuit that does the same with a saw. And then there's a little switch called matter-antimatter, which gives you two distinctly different flavours of each!

In a way the arp was a pretty basic standard east-coast synth layout, although being one that sounds pretty good. I wouldn't limit myself to that palette. Wavefolders and lowpass gates sound too good.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

There's this option as well.

Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

The G-Storm stuff looks really good imho...
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Old 21st September 2020
The problem with clone filters is that an iconic synth is more about all of it's ingredients.
You won't get the sound of an Arp 2600 by buying a G-Storm filter, which is a great sounding filter by the way

All aspects of a hardwired synth have an impact on it's overall sound.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Personally I just think it would be fun to have the VCO/VCF pair as a voice in my modular rig.
Like this Deckard's Voice module I just got, it's far from a CS-80, but you can definitely hear
the blade runner sounds in it, and they are uncanny imho. Certainly I have little hope of recreating
too much with it, but it's great fun trying.

Sooner or later, a reasonably satisfying ARP 2600 facsimile with appear that
I can pick up for the more comprehensive experience. Or maybe I'll wind up
with the TTSH at some point.
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Isn't Behringer releasing an ARP 2600? I read that Korg was going to release a mini-2600 too but that might've been speculation.
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Isn't Behringer releasing an ARP 2600? I read that Korg was going to release a mini-2600 too but that might've been speculation.
Yes and maybe. I think many are waiting for the Barp 2600 due to cost
expectations. It's weird that not much more has been said about the Barp
since it's announcement AFAIK. Maybe Korg is giving them some trouble behind the scenes (somehow).
Old 4 weeks ago
Didn't B announce a UBXa many moons ago?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I think it was one of the very first synths they announced.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
heh, I only have paid attention to them recently due to the Korg re-issue thing, having missed the boat on that one.

tbh, I would like to get the TTSH.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron 99 View Post
Here we go again... Did you not read the beginning of this thread? I said I had no interest in any Behringer products and I think it's safe to say anyone who looked into Korg's reissue is well aware of Behringer's sad version. I miss the days when you could talk about gear on GS without some idiot bringing up Behringer every fvcking time. Think outside the box, dude. There are many mom and pop companies in the modular world who deserve the money more than one giant corporation making planned obsolescent garbage products.
My first post in this thread was clearly in response to your OP. My second response in this thread was also clearly a response to the comment "Sooner or later, a reasonably satisfying ARP 2600 facsimile with appear that
I can pick up for the more comprehensive experience." which is in the post right before mine.

Are you aware that it's quite common for other people to communicate within a thread? You're like a spoiled little butthurt child that's throwing a temper tantrum because nobody is paying attention to you.
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes, to mention there are other 2600 clones and variants is not against the rules.
📝 Reply