The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
behringer system 100 worth it?
Old 24th June 2020
Lives for gear

behringer system 100 worth it?

I was quite impressed by the roland system 500 lately. I love the classic late 70's Roland sound! I think it's rather pricey though. The Behringer system 100 claims to be an "exact" replica of the Roland system 100. Did anyone have a chance to check it out? How does the sound hold up against the real thing or roland sys 500?
Old 25th June 2020
Gear Addict

Following this thread. I wanted to get into the Behringer modules but they are so HP hungry, it didn't make sense to me to incorporate them in my current rack. Once reviews start coming, I think it will be interesting to get a cheap skiff/dedicated rack just for them.
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

ranzee has 4 videos on the boland system 100

Old 25th June 2020
Gear Guru

System-500 owner here. I'm not too familiar with the OG 100 sound, but I like the sound of the 500. Only thing is that, as mentioned, they're really expensive for what they are. I'm not in a rush for them, but I wouldn't mind a Behry 100 voice later down the line. I've been really impressed with Behringer's entries into analog (as a former Pro One owner, the Pro 1 nails it!), so I'm expecting that the System 100 and Moog Modular clones are going to sound great. The Behry modules are rather large, but I think it'd be worth buying a small case to dedicate to them. They're not power-hungry, so even a cheapie should work.
Old 25th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
The Behry modules are rather large, but I think it'd be worth buying a small case to dedicate to them. They're not power-hungry, so even a cheapie should work.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. In the beginning I was disappointed and completely discounted them due to the function to HP ratio being quite bad, but then I realised that with the module's low prices and the low prices of the Behringer cases, it evens out.

I do hope they venture into more complex/function dense modules. Otherwise they will be competing with Doepfer, which is not really interesting or beneficial to anyone.
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
That's exactly what I'm thinking. In the beginning I was disappointed and completely discounted them due to the function to HP ratio being quite bad, but then I realised that with the module's low prices and the low prices of the Behringer cases, it evens out.

I do hope they venture into more complex/function dense modules. Otherwise they will be competing with Doepfer, which is not really interesting or beneficial to anyone.
im not an expert on modular synths but couldn't you just plug those sys 100 units in a doepfer a100? Or will that introduce problems with voltage etc?

https://www.thomann.de/nl/doepfer_a_...CABEgL6QfD_BwE
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
im not an expert on modular synths but couldn't you just plug those sys 100 units in a doepfer a100? Or will that introduce problems with voltage etc?

https://www.thomann.de/nl/doepfer_a_...CABEgL6QfD_BwE
no it should work fine
Old 26th June 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
Following this thread. I wanted to get into the Behringer modules but they are so HP hungry, it didn't make sense to me to incorporate them in my current rack. Once reviews start coming, I think it will be interesting to get a cheap skiff/dedicated rack just for them.
I wouldn't say that the core Boland 100 VCO, VCF, Env and VCAs - or the 3-in-one VCO/VCF/VCA that they've just released the video for - are HP heavy. Or, rather, although they're relatively wide they have a lot of functionality-per-HP: they're all "dual" modules with individual controls for each half, multiple mod inputs, all with their own attenuators, 3-way mixers on the VCF and VCA, 2 ADSRs and a LFO on the Env... The extra HP you use on the modules you;; get back by not needing nearly as many mults, mixers and attenuverters.

Yes, there are smaller "dual" modules but (even ignoring the price) they tend to share controls, with 'mode' buttons and faders that don't always reflect the setting...

Some of the B100 effects and EQs look a bit bulky - but they're not compulsory unless you're building a replica.

C.f. the Boog System 55 modules where everything seems to need some sort of controller or converter module plus a shedload of attenuators and multiples and seems to be exclusively aimed at people who want a warts-and-all replica.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutschool View Post
C.f. the Boog System 55 modules where everything seems to need some sort of controller or converter module plus a shedload of attenuators and multiples and seems to be exclusively aimed at people who want a warts-and-all replica.
"It's like a butter churn on steroids."
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Head

VCF just arrived in the post. Nice and sturdy build.
Old 17th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Just received the VCO, VCF and VCA. They appear to be well built and once I get the 140 module it will make a nice little starter kit. Not that it's going to stay like that mind you. In terms of price they can't really be touched. Equivalent S100M based envelope/LFO modules appear to be anywhere from 60% to 120% more expensive. Of course price isn't everything, but I do think that the manufacturing scale that Behringer enjoys certainly gives it the ability to be a lot more cost effective.

This is my first venture into modular and I'm afraid it could be the start of a healthy obsession.
Old 11th August 2020
Here for the gear

i have an original Roland system-100m cab in the classic combination and I looove the sound. So I bought the same behringer modules ( 112, 121, 130, 140 & 150) and they sound fantastic! I set up a patch on the original and then copied it to the behringer modules and it was sooo similar it’s amazing - I ended up using them panned left and right in a track and it’s a great combination. If you want that sound then this is the cheapest way to do it.
However, being in eurorack format, it’s more fiddly than the original so it’s more difficult to “play” the behringer modules - on the original Roland, I move the pitch cv sliders of say the 112 vco whilst recording to get a performance which you can’t really do on the behringer 112 as it has small pots. That said, I’ve ordered all the rest of the modules they’re threatening to release
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypete View Post
i have an original Roland system-100m cab in the classic combination and I looove the sound. So I bought the same behringer modules ( 112, 121, 130, 140 & 150) and they sound fantastic! I set up a patch on the original and then copied it to the behringer modules and it was sooo similar it’s amazing - I ended up using them panned left and right in a track and it’s a great combination. If you want that sound then this is the cheapest way to do it.
However, being in eurorack format, it’s more fiddly than the original so it’s more difficult to “play” the behringer modules - on the original Roland, I move the pitch cv sliders of say the 112 vco whilst recording to get a performance which you can’t really do on the behringer 112 as it has small pots. That said, I’ve ordered all the rest of the modules they’re threatening to release
How is the tuning/pitch tracking working with 112 vco for you? Many have reported the clone tracks pitch poorly compared to original 112 vco.

Btw, a demo comparing original and Behri would be cool!
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I had to calibrate the oscillators as the tracking was off. Didn't take long and now, after warming up, they track well. I run them alongside a MI Plaits which tracks perfectly so would be able to tell pretty quickly if the Behringer were out.
I do find the attenuator knobs too small for me so I use larger mixers to control the audio and CV levels to the various inputs. The Behringer System 55 passive attenuator works well for mod and audio signals, is cheap enough and has, by Eurorack standards,large controls. Otherwise the Doepfer A138 mixers are well priced.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeUK View Post
I had to calibrate the oscillators as the tracking was off. Didn't take long and now, after warming up, they track well. I run them alongside a MI Plaits which tracks perfectly so would be able to tell pretty quickly if the Behringer were out.
I do find the attenuator knobs too small for me so I use larger mixers to control the audio and CV levels to the various inputs. The Behringer System 55 passive attenuator works well for mod and audio signals, is cheap enough and has, by Eurorack standards,large controls. Otherwise the Doepfer A138 mixers are well priced.
Are they stable after warming up? I read somewhere that the scaling starts to go off again after they have been on for some time?
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

I ordered all the modules from Thomann but then saw gear4music had the vco (before Thomann) so I bought that as well, you can’t have too many vco’s right?. It arrived and the tracking was unusable so I sent it back. The replacement was the same. Then, the 112 from Thomann’s arrived and it’s tracking is fine. It’s about the same as the original tbh, a little out after 5 octaves. I’ll see if I can upload a comparison
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

They take a while to stabilise, longer than the original, but after about an hour I don’t have to retune them
Old 12th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi LeeUK- how did you calibrate the vco’s tracking, interested to know. I saw trimmers for “width” and “frequency” on the back
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypete View Post
Hi LeeUK- how did you calibrate the vco’s tracking, interested to know. I saw trimmers for “width” and “frequency” on the back
It was posted on the previous page by a couple of people. The width is the scaling and the frequency is the tuning. Following advice from a couple of people on this thread I set the scaling over a three octave range from A1 through A4.

Tuned the low note so it read A1 on a tuner (I use an old Korg tuner) plugged into the second output of the 112. This ensures that the signal is not affected by envelopes/filters etc.

Then using the width control for the relevant oscillator, adjust it until it scales correctly. After adjusting you will need to retune the low note. It's a case of since and repeat over the three octave range. You will never get it 100%, but mine track to within +-3 cents which is not bad.

After all of that you may want to adjust the frequency trimmer so it matches with the main Tune knob. I found that even after adjusting the scaling a few times mine pretty much still sits in the centre.

If you don't want to do this, then get hold of Expert Sleepers Silent Way which will calibrate the output to get the scaling correct. However, if your two oscillators are not tracking the same then you will still have issues.

I've got the Klavis CalTrans on the way which will calibrate up to 4 oscillators individually from the one module.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quick update - installed the Klavis CalTrans and it's the best £130 I've spent. Great piece of kit, easy to set up and the 112 oscillators are tracking great along with the Plaits. The latter was a bit trickier to calibrate - probably all of 5 minutes to find the right sound on the Plaits. Happy days....
📝 Reply