The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eurorack module that disappointed you.
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Addict

Yes, I struggled too to understand how to work with clouds. And like it's been already mentioned you do have to work for it. However once I got it, I pretty much dedicated a WMD Monolith system for it. I had to get the knock off version, since it saved me some HP. I partnered it with the TRISPECTRUM and a super modified Turing machine. With this setup I can either 'play along' in tempo, or switch the clock signal to random and let it fill the background all by itself. I have not changed this box for over a year, so I must like something about it

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You always have the most remarkable stuff @ DSC :-)

I love the TM.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, Clouds is kind of boring until you start feeding it a ton of modulation. When nearly every parameter is automated, that's where it shines. Also, don't forget to try the other modes. (She made it such a pain to switch between operating modes, so the obvious thing isn't always so obvious in this case.) I forget the name of it, but the fourth mode on there is fun for creating pure chaos.
Yeah, I remember the modes being cryptic and annoying to switch. Wasn't there some hidden or extra modes as well?

I have to revisit it but I clearly remember either getting barely anything out of it or demented robot orgy in the 7th layer of hell stuff. Nothing in between. I've thrown every modulation I have at it.

I think the problem is that I don't really understand what it does in each mode/parameter so I'm not in control. It's more like throw **** at the wall and see what sticks. Not very satisfying.

I'm also seeing how everybody is raving over the morphagene and I'm cautious cause I know if I get it I'll have another clouds situation in my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar View Post
Clouds is a fantastic module. Problem is most user don't know how to make it shine. That is why it can sound boring.

In my research I discovered a unique way of using it which produce sounds I did not hear in any of the demos I checked in the last few years.

As Derp said modulation is essential (but not everything)

A hint, it is not only how you modulate the CV inputs but also matters what audio you feed into the module.
No doubt it's my fault, I'm not the smartest when it comes to non-standard synthesis. What's your unique way of using it? What audio do you suggest to feed it? I don't have voice samples but I tried both complex/rich sounds (output was too muddy) and simple plucked sounds (better output but nothing ground breaking, more like a gentle stutter/delay/reverb effect).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
You don't need Rings. It sounds great with LPG "ping" like sounds. Get an LPG or a short envelope decay to put into it.

Also, don't forget to do a Freeze on your input source and play with position.
I actually don't have an LPG in my rack, I should get one in my next round of purchases.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
What audio do you suggest to feed it? I don't have voice samples but I tried both complex/rich sounds (output was too muddy) and simple plucked sounds (better output but nothing ground breaking, more like a gentle stutter/delay/reverb effect).
I would avoid any typical analog synth source like saquare/saw etc. I would use timbral rich acoustic sounds. For example I prepare my samples in advance in wavelab and the content (timbral evolution) is designed with a clear idea how I will modulate each parameter in Clouds.

Just throwing some random audio with some random modulation and knob twisting the chances to produce something spectacular are small.
Of course happy accidents can happen but I think Clouds is a module where you should have a clear idea what you want to achieve and how to do it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just got clouds - heh, me and my 6 modules now - haven't tried it out yet though.

I've played a lot with the Plaits port to Prologue, digging into the code tweaking this and that, and found that there is a generous depth of detail in these models that have to be discovered. There are universes of sound to explore in just a fraction of a knob turn here. As @ chrissugar suggests, plan it out a bit. You'll be surprised.

Last edited by SkyWriter; 1 week ago at 06:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Yes, I struggled too to understand how to work with clouds.
I would add... Clouds was not intended to be just an effects processor, but a Granular Synthesizer voice (and it's rarely used as such). The idea was that you would Freeze a sound in Clouds, and then treat it like a granular VCO. Input 1v/oct and modulate the grains or parameters... but then send it out to a VCA and Filter or something to make a voice out of it.

Emilie was often disappointed that so many people just used it as an effects processor, and that it's intended purpose was missed. (from what I've read on the subject)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Emilie was a BeOS and PalmOS head too :-) I love her stuff, it's structured, easy to read, sounds fantastic. I get the biggest kick out of just the additive model. On Plait's, each model is like an enormous 3D space of sound; cruising around in my little Prologue space ship (of all things!), slolaming over frequency bumps, and swirling around high Q peaks, writing custom modulation schemes to hear it dance all night.

I had to get a eurorack hardware rig to explore it faster :-) so I could further the port work. Modular was always a hotbed of new ideas.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I want one of those giant super-Clouds (whatever its name is) in a black grayscale panel. I've held out this long, go big!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I want one of those giant super-Clouds (whatever its name is) in a black grayscale panel. I've held out this long, go big!!
Cumulus clouds? Wazzat?? I want it now too! :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Cumulus clouds? Wazzat?? I want it now too! :-)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah! Ok YES I do want one too!

Especially like the bit after 7:30 to the end. Yeeeeeeesssssss........

Ok, now I want the Nebulae too. *eye roll* I knew this was gonna be a mistake getting into eurorack.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamac View Post
Marbles is probably the only module I’ve ever really jumped on without proper investigation before purchase. Don’t get me wrong it is a handy device to have but no reset input makes it a real struggle to record or tie up with other modules. I foolishly thought I was getting grids and branches with its other features but in actual fact its just parts of them implemented into the design with key ingredients missing. I still keep it and use it regularly but disappointed is definitely my overall view. Live and learn
No reset. That is the reason I sold mine. Noise Engineering Mimetic Sequent does more with less hp if you have the expander.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I just got clouds and it initaly clicked with me the very first hour I have got it. So different things can be.

I was never missapointed by a module. But I have to tune my OSC sources (m32, STO) which is a kind of downer. I literaly though about getting a guitar tuner. One day I recorded an amazing bassline jam only to find out its totaly out of tune. And you know there is no save button for patches and performance.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
That's one I've been toying with in my head for a while. I've got an OG Clouds, but I've loaded Parasites on it. Parasites is a great OS for that massive reverb mode, but I don't like the 'tweaks' they did to the original modes. The changes make it sound like a Clouds, but not feel like one. I think it'd be neat to get Supercell to load it with Parasites, and then revert Clouds back to the original firmware so I can have Clouds in all of its original glory and have Oliverb to work with as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
That's one I've been toying with in my head for a while. I've got an OG Clouds, but I've loaded Parasites on it. Parasites is a great OS for that massive reverb mode, but I don't like the 'tweaks' they did to the original modes. The changes make it sound like a Clouds, but not feel like one. I think it'd be neat to get Supercell to load it with Parasites, and then revert Clouds back to the original firmware so I can have Clouds in all of its original glory and have Oliverb to work with as well.
You could always go back to a version with just the pre / post reverb switch for the normal modes.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Yes, I struggled too to understand how to work with clouds. And like it's been already mentioned you do have to work for it. However once I got it, I pretty much dedicated a WMD Monolith system for it. I had to get the knock off version, since it saved me some HP. I partnered it with the TRISPECTRUM and a super modified Turing machine. With this setup I can either 'play along' in tempo, or switch the clock signal to random and let it fill the background all by itself. I have not changed this box for over a year, so I must like something about it

Wait, when was the Trispectrum released?? I remember seeing prototypes back in 2016 but didn’t realize it was out.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

It was definitely Elements for me. I listened to demos and thought, That's great. Then I got it and just couldn't get anything musical out of it. Every once in a while I could produce a mildly interesting sound, but it was nothing I couldn't already get with noise + LPG + contour generator. I never really got into the alternate modes, either. For some reason, I'm a huge fan of the design and concept of the Mutable modules, but I never really get on with them once I get them. I am going to try Stages at some point though. I sold Elements, but I kept the awesome bag it came in.
Old 1 day ago
I’ve only sold a few modules: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/855602

I guess they didn’t live up to my expectations. Random melody generators isn’t my thing, I guess.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear