The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Processing Eurorack signal for generative visuals - Arduino?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Processing Eurorack signal for generative visuals - Arduino?

Hi,

I hope this post is OK - I’m looking for some advice for my Master’s thesis project.

I am planning to build a system that uses Eurorack signal to control reactive computer-generated visuals. Specifically, I am looking to use 4-8 control voltage sources from a Eurorack modular system.

My current plan is to use an Arduino but I am in the process of considering the right kind of microcontroller to use for these signals.

Regarding the system interaction inside the computer, I will most likely be using Serial or OSC to communicate with a programme generating the visuals (likely Processing or Jitter).

Does anybody have any experience with similar projects? I am pretty new to all of this tech, so any advice is welcome.

Can anybody advise any particular Arduino models? Any Arduino externals? Is Arduino the best option for this?

TIA
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Don't forget to look at Muff Wiggler also. Lots of geeks over there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Arduinos will do this easily, which one to choose depends on the details of the rest of your project, but even the most basic UNO would get some form of it done.

Some of the pertinent details would be things like how precise you would need things to be - the onboard ADCs are 10bit (some models can do 12) so you'd need to see if that was sufficient for your purposes, or otherwise get an external ADC if not. You might also be able to work out some kind of software interpolation to get around that anyway.

The only thing you'd really have to add is some kind of limiting circuit on your input to constrain it to the 3.3 or 5V for the particular arduino model, and off course not to feed it negative voltage.

I'd probably get a few different arduinos anyway if you are learning and as you iron out all the details, you could figure out which is the most appropriate - you may find that you eventually want fewer or more inputs to get your desired results or have some kind of feature creep that requires more on board memory or something. Anyway a mega is a good place to start, likely overkill for this project, but you are unlikely to hit any ceilings and is easy for development with I/O and memory to spare, even if the final project ends up on one of the smaller ones.

The good news and bad news is that this is very a simple project. Good in the sense that even starting with no knowledge, its unlikely it would even take a weekend to get this working, but maybe bad in that I'm not sure its really complex enough for a Masters, unless this is just peripheral to the core of the thesis.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search