The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
First semi modular(s)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

First semi modular(s)

Suppose I have some space to fill in my rack mount...

My whole studio is digital, I use VSTs, an electronic drum kit and several midi controllers (except for my bass and guitars or when I sing in the mic). I would be interested to experiment with physical synths. I am looking for some idea filling the following criteria:
  • semi modular
  • Rackable
  • Analogue (this is probably superstition, but having lots of excellent digital synth on my computer, I fell that if I try something else, it has to be really different)
  • With lots of knobs (the more the better - one of the interests of having real gear vs VST is to have lots of physical knobs under the fingers!)
  • Interesting variations offered by plenty of patch points
  • A good sound !!!!
  • If possible, at least paraphonic to play chords (but maybe a combination of one bass module and one lead or two voices may be interesting nevertheless?) - I love Prophet-like sounds!

Of course, lots of ideas come from Google and Youtube (Neutron, Mother 32, DeepMind 12D, PRO-1, K2, SE02, Model D, 0-Coast, Crave, even Minotaure which is mono...), but I could use a word of advice, or even a list of synth to buy in a chronological order from fundamental and accessible to more dispensable and advanced but adding some fun to previously bought gear...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

No one can tell you which synth to buy: you just have to look at YouTube videos until you find one that calls to you. But I'll add the Pittsburgh Modular SV-1 to your watch list.

On second thoughts, just buy one and then buy an 0-Coast, and be prepared to be sucked into the bottomless pit of modular synthesis.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Offcourse the Neutron is a great starter, so much bang for your buck.
Another synths with lots of patchpoints; Minibrute 2S with an awesome sequencer and Dreadbox Erebus V3
O Coast is great too but not as a starter I think, but these 3 aren't rackable.
Crave as a first start is a little simple one but good to start with for the money it costs but the Neutron is a far better choice.

If you've plans for eurorack in the near future; Doepfer has some polyphonic modules; http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
1010 music Synthbox as a module is polyphonic too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you very much @ Clumsy and @ willem1958 for those advices!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

It's a shame that Kraftzwergs aren't readily available. That was my first semi-modular and my first eye-opener.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's a shame that Kraftzwergs aren't readily available. That was my first semi-modular and my first eye-opener.
Cheers. I've looked for it, it indeed doesn't exist any more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search