The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Minimoog Eurorack replica but leaving options open?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Minimoog Eurorack replica but leaving options open?

I'm looking at getting a Boog, but thought about dipping my toes into Eurorack so that I've got more options down the road... In particular, I want to start off with a Minimoog clone, but then slowly add different filters to replicate SEM, MS20, and Pro-1.

What options do I have here (preferably cheap), or am I completely off? I know that the mixer on the Minimoog has a bit of burn while the others don't, so what other mistakes could I make going down this route (i.e trying to share as many modules between the Eurorack clones so not to duplicate functionality)

(I'm also assuming than an ADSR is an ADSR, and there's really no difference between classic synths).
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

If you're trying to nail the exact sound of those synths, it isn't easy. MiniMoog (and therefore Boog) have kind of a limited design, like the ADSR's in the Boog are actually ASR's. Also, the oscillators can't play with each other the way they can on a Pro One. But if you just want the general gist of those synths, Doepfer makes a ton of cheap filters you can bounce between.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
If you're trying to nail the exact sound of those synths, it isn't easy. MiniMoog (and therefore Boog) have kind of a limited design, like the ADSR's in the Boog are actually ASR's. Also, the oscillators can't play with each other the way they can on a Pro One. But if you just want the general gist of those synths, Doepfer makes a ton of cheap filters you can bounce between.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I've seen a few manufacturers who make Moogish modules, but Doepfer seem to be the cheaps I've come across so far. Nice.

Another reason for me wanting to build is exactly because the Model D doesn't have Release. I considered the Sub Phatty, but the sound isn't the same... there's something sweet in that D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiedotwtf View Post
Another reason for me wanting to build is exactly because the Model D doesn't have Release. I considered the Sub Phatty, but the sound isn't the same... there's something sweet in that D.
No release? I haven't played one, but no release? I don't understand.

However, I want to build a Boog too! So any excuse is good with me! :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking at getting a Boog, but thought about dipping my toes into Eurorack so that I've got more options down the road... In particular, I want to start off with a Minimoog clone, but then slowly add different filters to replicate SEM, MS20, and Pro-1.

What options do I have here (preferably cheap), or am I completely off? I know that the mixer on the Minimoog has a bit of burn while the others don't, so what other mistakes could I make going down this route (i.e trying to share as many modules between the Eurorack clones so not to duplicate functionality)

(I'm also assuming than an ADSR is an ADSR, and there's really no difference between classic synths).
Allow me to repeat what I know and what I have learned along a similar-ish journey.

* Just get the Boog. It does "that thing", well and inexpensively, and you can't get anywhere near that in pure euro modules without spending much more. Much, much more, and then some more.

* All Envelopes are not the same. They don't have the same features, same UI/UX, or their ultimate effect on the sound because of the differences. Same with VCAs, Mixers, and the rest, really.

* just adding an SEM VCF to a Minimoog won't make it sound like TVPro, nor will a Polivoks filter make it sound it a Russian synth, and so on, because it's more than just the VCF differences...

* That said, you can still use external VCFs with a Boog, SEM or otherwise, and it will still sound cool and different than the Boog by itself, just not a convincing equivalent to some other classic.

* If a Minimoog and Pro-1 and an MS-20 are important to you, and Behringer is fine with you (it is w me), just get the Boog and Bro-1 and K2. There is no better, inexpensive, path, to those.

...and if you want to add more to those via euro, you still can.

I have an MS20mini, myself, and a Boog and a Bro-1, and eurorack, and I can quit anytime I want.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Allow me to repeat what I know and what I have learned along a similar-ish journey.

* Just get the Boog. It does "that thing", well and inexpensively, and you can't get anywhere near that in pure euro modules without spending much more. Much, much more, and then some more.

* If a Minimoog and Pro-1 and an MS-20 are important to you, and Behringer is fine with you (it is w me), just get the Boog and Bro-1 and K2. There is no better, inexpensive, path, to those.
Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, I think this is the path I'm heading down with my current thinking. They're cheap enough, and full voice synths, so at the same price I've got multiple synths already built.

... maybe I'll look at Eurorack down the road.

PS: Why hasn't Behringer make a single-voice SEM yet :/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Yeah, I think this is the path I'm heading down with my current thinking. They're cheap enough, and full voice synths, so at the same price I've got multiple synths already built.

... maybe I'll look at Eurorack down the road.

PS: Why hasn't Behringer make a single-voice SEM yet :/
I love eurorack and modular to bits. Never been happier, as far as synthesis goes, but yeah - as far as classic monos go, those clones are hard to pass up, unless one just prefers spending a ton.

I mean, sure, if you really wanted a fully modular Mininoog equivalent, witb CV control over every little bit (and it's awesome, no doubt), then a kit like all the AJH Mininoog modules is the answer.

But it will cost about the same as a real Moog.

So, $300 for a semi-modular clone.

Or, $3000/etc for a fully-modular clone, that takes up 2+x the space as the Boog.

Both are great, for what they are.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search