The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Instruo Arbhar
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Instruo Arbhar

So i played around some more with the Arbhar today,
and i'm really loving it!

At first i was a bit underwhelmed, i was testing it with some vocals (the 50-page whopper of a manual via a text-to speech addon, lol)
it has a very different way of handling grains than clouds, it doesn't seem to stretch and smear them as much, and doesn't go as short.
So all i was getting were short scatters of vowels. The transition to the wavetable is a bit odd, it really feels like a crossfade, and for some cases i wish it was a separate mode, although it will likely turn out to be great when modulating or sequencing grain length.

Then i played a bit of the Spitfire LABS soft Piano through it, and the results were stunning! beautifull flourishes of note rolls when using the random s&h pitch modulation, reversed notes, beautiful pads. going between layers with the grains polyphonically sustaining creates all kinds of unexpected interactions.

The internal microphone is of an impressively good quality (pretty dangerous for feedback though, since it engages when nothing is connected to the inputs.)

It's not the easiest of workflow with all the button combinations, and it'll take me a while to truly understand it.

But very interesting how i went from thinking the thing was kind of a wrong purchase to the stunning results i got in a musical context.

Will try running it into clouds next time, should be interesting.

Anyone else care to share their experiences and tips?

I am running it in the high quality mode, is the reverb mode worth it when you have other reverbs availeable?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Is this something you would recommend to somebody that has other granular processors like Clouds and Nebulae?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's very different, both in workflow and sound. I have clouds, and i don't feel like i have redundancy.

The Clouds has a very interesting algorythm for smeared super short micro-grains, and the feedback effect.

The Arbhar's strength is the polyphonic character. Every grain can overlap and build, turning a series of notes into complex interweaving chords.

Also, you can pick grains from any layer, so if you had 6 different soundsources recorded, you can stack, pick and mix as you please. Just this single module is capable of some seriously complex tapestries. Plus, you can even import and store wav files via a usb stick.

One downside i found is that there seems a bit of latency when externally triggering grains, making it hard for tight rythmic stuff. But i may find a workaround.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Ooh, that sounds fun. I'd love to try it one day.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Your description of what it did to the piano seems quite nice.

Fvck. As though I needed another thing to want.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search