The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modular Synth voice ¿what size?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Modular Synth voice ¿what size?

Hi!

I'm currently designing a semimodular monofonic synth voice module for eurorack. Still in the drawing desk. I'm a bit worried about the maximum width for such module, because most users, as i see, want to take the maximum space profit out of their racks. I'm thinking about 40HP (203,2mm) width, for about 28 control pots, and some cv jacks.

My idea is for a synth voice to build around a more complex system.

¿What do you think?, ¿is it too much space?

Thank you for your advise!!

Jay x
Old 3 weeks ago
M32
Lives for gear

40 seems fine, a cramped interface is never a good thing. However, statistically, given the most common module sizes, I think 38 or 42 will be better since it will fill the available space in more cases better. A lot of established manufacturers seem to go for 42.

No experience, just trying to use common sense

Personally I've realised that letting module size decide which modules to get will make you miss out on a lot of good stuff. The best things in my rack are modules I wasn't going to get mostly due to size, but found a deal on that was too good to pass up.

The use of an expander module is also something to consider. Not a bad move commercially, either.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi M32!

I see, most eurorack systems have 84HP width rails. So 42HP, is half width, and I saw some synth voiced modules at Modulargrid of this size. Time to draw and experiment!!

Jay x
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY X View Post
Hi M32!

I see, most eurorack systems have 84HP width rails. So 42HP, is half width, and I saw some synth voiced modules at Modulargrid of this size. Time to draw and experiment!!

Jay x
I would say the smaller the better, but some of these guys went too small with their ideas. The Pico voice is 3HP and practically unusable for it. I think for your average modular user, clever divisions of available rack space are more visually appealing (i.e. 42hp because it's half of your usual 84hp). Like, I enjoy the Behringer stuff because it sounds really freaking good, but 80hp in a rack environment is a whole lot of space to occupy. If you want an expanded voice, there really isn't much you can do with that 4hp that's left over.

But like M32 said, make it comfortable to use, and that'll be the best thing you can do.

So, you mind sharing with the class what you're working on?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So, you mind sharing with the class what you're working on?
Hi!

Well, initially, it will be quite typical: 1 or 2 oscillators +filter +lfo + envelopes..etc.. I expect that at prototyping stage, some ideas will appear...

Jay x
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

42hp is a common and decent size for a Voice.

Keep us posted.

Best of luck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search