The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
choosing a quanrtiser
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear
choosing a quanrtiser

Hello,
I’m new here.

I bought my first system a bit more than a year ago (got a Make Noise Shared System) to overcome some creative block I was going through.
It worked (I managed to release an album 9 months later) but also fried my brain and changed my life.
I’m still a novice and still exploring, pretty much everything good I do is still a happy accident and impossible to remake. But I like that!
Anyway I have since slightly modified the shared system, as I’m interested in random sequencing and interaction with that.
So I jam / play a polyphonic synth (Prophet 6) while setting up the system to do its bit.
I recently added a Turing machine and the Telharmonic (to have a different flavour of oscillator and intervals).
Now I use René 2 as a quantiser but I tend to get messy stuff out even if quantised.
Sometimes it’s incredible, most of the time a bit **** / too wacky.
So I’m looking at perhaps getting a dedicated quantiser module.
What do you guys think?
Could that make a big difference?
Is there a quantiser you would recommend?
I’m looking at O_C but I’m very hands on and not a fan of menus and small digital screens, but it means I could have the Turing machine and quantiser in one module. Is the turing machine in OC exactly the same as the Music Thing one? I mean in term of behaviour?
The Intellijel Scales looks really good too and easy. I like the two channels and intervals options.
Also looking at the tip top audio quantizer
Any help / advice / thoughts welcome!
Thanks!

Last edited by FranzKirmann; 15th February 2020 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: typos!
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Nut

Keeping this short; Ornament & Crime is one of the most genius modules or electronic music device ever made.

Not much menu diving needed at all to get a interconnected musical relation for your whole system.

its 10/10
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Intelligel scales is on my shortlist.

There’s also a 2HP one called tune or something that looks fun. I don’t think it’s be the best for specific settings, but more as a tiny way to inject musicality from untamed voltages.
Old 18th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranzKirmann View Post
I’m looking at O_C but I’m very hands on and not a fan of menus and small digital screens, but it means I could have the Turing machine and quantiser in one module. Is the turing machine in OC exactly the same as the Music Thing one? I mean in term of behaviour?
Actually, you could have two turing machines with quantization rocking at once with O_C. The turing machine in O_C has a lot more options. O_C is a little bit of a pain to program, but you really only have to dive in once to get everything to behave the way you want it to, and then only tweak the surface settings like scale and root note. It's a beast of a module. Very highly recommended and for good reason.
Old 19th February 2020
This module is designed for (micro) tuning (multiple channels) and can also do CV-MIDI-CV very well. The O_c can do a lot of other things, and to use an analogy, could be considered a bit of a swiss army knife, while the µTune is a a bit like a very precise japanese sushi knife for quantising. It also does chords and there's expanders. (CV in and out, but also CV & Gate out, for the MIDI)

There's also an Instruo Harmoniag, which is designed for chords. Looks like a lovely, musical interface to me.

If you want cheap and basic functions, there's the Doepfer. It has a note reset input and just works as advertised.

I think you can't go wrong with either of these. It depends on what you're aiming for. Do a search? There's been some threads about the "best quantizer".

Not a module, but Bitwig 3.1 DAW software also has microtonal capabilities. I've not tested it yet. Just got an old MOTU audio interface for the software to communicate with the modular (CV Gate) but haven't even unpacked it yet. .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search