The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Intellijel 7U Long Term
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Intellijel 7U Long Term

So of course, I need a bigger case. Mostly because I want to offload some of the stuff the digitakt is doing onto a 1010 bitbox.

My question for you 7U Performance case users, is how does the case hold up over time and dragging around to gigs. Also, if any of you could weigh their full case. I know it will depend a lot on what's in it but it would give me a ballpark idea. Right now my current gig bag weighs 14,5 kilos (waaay to much to fly with so I always need to leave stuff behind and having a bigger case would give the opportunity to replace some external stuff with modules)

Thanks!
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Guru

Just out of curiosity, what's your current case like space/module-wise?
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
So of course, I need a bigger case. Mostly because I want to offload some of the stuff the digitakt is doing onto a 1010 bitbox.

My question for you 7U Performance case users, is how does the case hold up over time and dragging around to gigs. Also, if any of you could weigh their full case. I know it will depend a lot on what's in it but it would give me a ballpark idea. Right now my current gig bag weighs 14,5 kilos (waaay to much to fly with so I always need to leave stuff behind and having a bigger case would give the opportunity to replace some external stuff with modules)

Thanks!
I only have the 4u along with a MDLR Performance case. Though I really like the MDLR case, if I were to do it over again, I'd probably go with 104P Intellijel 7u's. They're really well built, and the builtin I/O helps save valuable HP space. Also, I won't get into the Intellijel / Pulp Logic format argument, but the 1u space is finally starting to reach critical mass ... You can now get a 1u O_C for example.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's your current case like space/module-wise?
I have a 7U 84hp that I built. The case is ridiculously light and weighs fully loaded with some heavy modules 3,7 kilos. That's without power brick. But it's only 6mm thick walls. 7,5cm tall with 5,5 total depth for the modules. But i also carry digitakt and digitone, master compressor plus the power bricks and cables for all these. Cables must be 1,5 kilos alone. So offloading some this gear into a bigger rack makes sense to me.

Right now i have a second case (exactly the same as the euro case) which fits the elektrons plus midi clock and compressor. They fold together and make one big box that goes in a magma backpack

I could always build a bigger case myself that would be extremely light but having the i/o jacks and the sturdiness of the intellijel seems like a bonus. But i can't find any long term reviews of it online.
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
I have a 7U 84hp that I built. The case is ridiculously light and weighs fully loaded with some heavy modules 3,7 kilos. That's without power brick. But it's only 6mm thick walls. 7,5cm tall with 5,5 total depth for the modules. But i also carry digitakt and digitone, master compressor plus the power bricks and cables for all these. Cables must be 1,5 kilos alone. So offloading some this gear into a bigger rack makes sense to me.

Right now i have a second case (exactly the same as the euro case) which fits the elektrons plus midi clock and compressor. They fold together and make one big box that goes in a magma backpack

I could always build a bigger case myself that would be extremely light but having the i/o jacks and the sturdiness of the intellijel seems like a bonus. But i can't find any long term reviews of it online.
So basically you're looking at two 7u cases, then? That's gonna be pretty awesome, I'd imagine. Just a word of warning if you didn't already know, the Intellijel 1u is a different size from everyone else's, so you won't be able to fit in Pulp Logic and the like.
Old 7th February 2020
Lives for gear

No no, i want to just move to one intellijel 7U. Add a bitbox and some smaller stuff to the current set-up. Bitbox would just take on what the digitakt is doing now so that would be 2 less thing to carry.

I know they are different standards. Right now i have pulp logic. Using 2 adapters to fit normal 3u modules in them and one intellijel 1u (the umidi) which works fine just with the top screws as the faceplate rests on the rail anyway and everything stays patched on it so there's no messing around with it all the time.

Got the adapters from this guy in canada. Pretty cool. In theory you can put up to 6hp in them but have yet to find one that fits (pcb is too big normally) but 4-5 hp no problem.

I read all the muff wiggler posts on the performance case but no long term opinions or actual weights with it fully loaded.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

its probably smarter to have 2 cases that you can slam together when traveling. also weight. no one cares about weight. i'd say build it as tough as required to get the job done. i would suspend mine in rubber if it was me... sorbothane
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

There are some nice alternative aluminum cases that are 1/2 the price of the intelligel case, depending on what you want. Personally, I’d just build one, maybe rip off mdlrcase designs
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

Here are the cases I was talking about, no lid or power. You could outfit it with a great power system
for the difference in price between this and the intellijel case. Certainly the intellijel cases are better equipped,
but its also $285 vs $700 ish IIRC. *Shrugs...

Ctrl Devices
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
its probably smarter to have 2 cases that you can slam together when traveling. also weight. no one cares about weight. i'd say build it as tough as required to get the job done. i would suspend mine in rubber if it was me... sorbothane
I'm trying to have less stuff, not the same. and weight is important. especially when flying but also just carrying stuff around. like i said, right now the whole thing weighs 14,5 kilos. which is stupid heavy to carry around. plus it won't get on a flight and i have no intention of checking in my live rig (and pumping another 4-500 euros in a peli case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
There are some nice alternative aluminum cases that are 1/2 the price of the intelligel case, depending on what you want. Personally, I’d just build one, maybe rip off mdlrcase designs
when you add a proper power supply you're almost there but missing the 1u row and lid (and i/o). i've pretty much hunted down all the case makers out there. it's why i went diy already to see how light things can get. it can get very light but not too strong.

there's also the damaru cases which look nice but weigh 5,8 kg with standard base and skiff lid. 2 kilos more than the intellijel.

but the point of this thread was amore about the long term reliability of the performance case and secondly, what other slutz' portable rig weighs and what is it?
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

Definitely depends on your needs, absolutely nothing wrong with buying one of those Intellijel cases.
They are super nice. Personally, I prefer i/o via good quality dedicated modules with XLR, Hi-Z and Phantom Power
where applicable. 1u isn't overly of interest to me, no doubt it would be if I had one of those cases
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

i'm using the befaco out right now which i'm happy with. feeding the recorder with the headphone out on it. but as the case would have the built-in jacks it saves some space on the 3U modules and i can switch to the 1u for i/o. what mic are you using with your modular that you need phantom power?
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
i'm using the befaco out right now which i'm happy with. feeding the recorder with the headphone out on it. but as the case would have the built-in jacks it saves some space on the 3U modules and i can switch to the 1u for i/o. what mic are you using with your modular that you need phantom power?
Just a cheap condenser mic, Behringer I think, that I've had forever. I use it
sometimes and it does require Phantom Power. Can't say I was specifically
looking for that, but I have it now and think it's a pretty good idea.

Though, I guess many don't have any problems with the Intellijel Case, at
least not that one "specifically" I would want more depth than 70mm
clear of the power supply. Not that I've really needed it so far, but I like not
being limited by module depth and I do anticipate exceeding that before long
with DIY stuff likely.

...Just more to consider, not trying to discourage you. You should get what
you want so long as the cost is not a problem.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

i think you're coming at it from a studio perspective. i'm more interested in the live aspect of it. that's why i got into eurorack in the first place as i could build a system that's integrated and i don't need to plug all the boxes all the time. there's still a bit of that but build-up/break-down in clubs or festivals is much faster having the mixer built-in, the fx and so on. we still need a bit of work on the set-up and buy some more modules (and onbviously expand our 2 cases) but we're almost there. we both have 1 euro case and 1 case with a different machine.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

No doubt I am studio oriented, still if I was gonna make a rig for performing live, I doubt I would go with
such a small case. I'd be looking at an MDLR Performance series of likely 12U or more space if it were me.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

well, we are two in the band and we have split roles. i do all the melodic stuff and he does all the drums/percussion and occasional bassline. so we don't need a case that does everything. he also uses a tr8s for the basic stuff and spitting out triggers to clock various things. i have the two elektron boxes as well and half of my case is our mixer with master fx
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

“Mixer with Master Effects” in eurorack?
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

We have an 8 channel mixer (4 mono, 4 stereo) with 2 aux sends per channels, on/off and cue bus, cue/master blend (as on dj mixers). These go through stereo bit crusher, hpf, distortion, lpf, again, to mirror a typical dj mixer setups. We play typical dancefloor stuff and i come from djing so i approach it in a similar fashion
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
We have an 8 channel mixer (4 mono, 4 stereo) with 2 aux sends per channels, on/off and cue bus, cue/master blend (as on dj mixers). These go through stereo bit crusher, hpf, distortion, lpf, again, to mirror a typical dj mixer setups. We play typical dancefloor stuff and i come from djing so i approach it in a similar fashion
Ahh, ok I thought you meant as part of your eurorack "rack", i was curious as
to what effects you would be using as master effects.

-Cheers
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
This sounds like a really cool way to work. You got any links that show this in action by chance?
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
This sounds like a really cool way to work. You got any links that show this in action by chance?
i was just uploading something as you were quoting me. this is recorded at a gig last saturday. only problem with the euro mixer is that some of the controls are pretty small and mistakes will happen (like panning the clap by accident when you wanted to turn down an aux and because the booth monitoring is mono you don't realise )

Old 10th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
i was just uploading something as you were quoting me. this is recorded at a gig last saturday. only problem with the euro mixer is that some of the controls are pretty small and mistakes will happen (like panning the clap by accident when you wanted to turn down an aux and because the booth monitoring is mono you don't realise )

If most of the synths are Eurorack, then color me impressed. There's a lot of movement and malleability to this set. Do you have a Modular Grid rack to show off what you're rocking for this?
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
If most of the synths are Eurorack, then color me impressed. There's a lot of movement and malleability to this set. Do you have a Modular Grid rack to show off what you're rocking for this?
sorry, no modulargrid. but keep in mind that, as explained previously, we are 2 people, each with a euro case and a few other pieces of gear. i don't need to worry about any of the beats or percussion or fillers because my mate is doing it. and he can focus on that because i take care of all the "melodic" content.

as the mixer is in my case, i tend to steer the ship and shape the mix and bring about changes as in introduce new "tracks". if you listen to the set, it's kinda structured with 2 different styles. a more mellow/deep part, quite dubby which is covered a lot by the digitakt/digitone combo (which feed into the same mixer as everything else) and a more industrial/hard side that is all eurorack. of course things get blended in and out. but these 2 parts alternate throughout the set. also, the dfams are sequenced externally. his from his tr8s and mine from digitakt through the intellijel umidi and i have a few lfos as well to control various things on the dfam and i can introduce these as i want on the digitakt. basically 4 of the midi tracks (playing on the same channel) on the digitakt are dedicated to sequencing the dfam and sending lfos to different parts.

my dfam goes into a soma lyra8fx which adds texture to the moog but also the moog is modulating the lyra so the 2 things react to each other and sound changes organically as one sequence influences the next machine and one paramter will alter the state of both machines etc.

there is a lot of movement in there because we can each focus on what we are doing and can react to each other as we don't have anything set beforehand or any kind of structure in place. even the way the set starts with that bassline is actually a "mistake" as i didn't check the mixer before hitting start on the midi clock and his bass channel wasn't muted so his dfam just started spitting out this line. so we had to go with it. that was just a sequence that was never changed from 2 hours earlier at soundcheck. so we're very very loose with what we play and when. at most there is intention but not a plan. but we talk to each other while we play and try to see what the people react to on the dance floor and go from there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search