The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Most powerful Midi din to cv module?
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

Most powerful Midi din to cv module?

So what’s the best midi to cv module?

Currently have a Pittsburgh midi3 and it’s fine, but it’s limiting.

Background: I am sending midi from octatrack to my eurorack. I don’t really want to use anything that originates from PC.

Would love a module that had:

-clock output (bonus if multiple divisions)

3/4 sets of outputs, by channel (a mode for voice assign / polyphony might be cool too!)

Per output:
-Cv/gate
-velocity
-3-6 assignable outputs by CC

Anything like that out there currently that I’m just not aware of?
Old 4th February 2020
Gear Guru

The ones that come to mind are Yarns and 1983. Yarns has eight outputs, and it's extremely flexible as to how those outputs can be used. Anything from a monophonic channel with lots of MIDI-CV controls to four monovoices to eight drum trigger/gates. It's also got a built in sequencer and this neat feature where the CV outputs can be changed to basic waveforms so that you can use them as synth voices with the gate outputs controlling envelopes and such.

1983 isn't as powerful as Yarns, but it's got autotuning on it so that it can control up to four channels with zero work to get them in tune.
Old 4th February 2020
Lives for gear

1983 looks awesome, especially for its auto tune function. Yarns is a lot deeper than I realized!

I drew something together real quick of what I am envisioning.

This awful mockup would have:

Screen to adjust modes / settings / primarily assign cc quickly per output jack

4 rows of 5 jacks. Default would be pitch/cv/mod wheel/velocity/cc, but all of the jacks would be assignable based on menu

Different modes (I imagine saving presets that would have mode as a setting in them):

“Mono” where there’s 1 channel and all 20 patches are assignable

“Channel separated monos” where you define midi channel per row(s) and use as see fit (for example, one basic ch, one mega one, idk)

“Polyphony” where you assign how many notes should be allocated, then assign them to their own jack. Would be best for 4 notes

tap tempo / incoming tempo at bottom, with clock divisions/multiples. Change ratios on screen / menu

Midi in on left, usb middle, midi out/thru on right.

Possible chaining mode to expand as needed.

Most powerful Midi din to cv module?-d41a4eab-381f-4a55-bb69-ef85955e1a50.jpg

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Most powerful Midi din to cv module?-d41a4eab-381f-4a55-bb69-ef85955e1a50.jpg  
Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear
Almost this?

Old 5th February 2020
Lives for gear

Lmao that’s awesome, specs are pretty similar to what i was thinking of in my head. I have 0 clue how to make modules though so it wouldn’t have gone anywhere.

If I can convert midi din to the midi input in the front then it would be perfect.

Thank you so much for mentioning it! It’s like a dream come true lol
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Addict

MUC-810
i have this one, looks/feels/plays like an instrument, not a box
16 CV + 8 gates
http://www.edv-technik-ts.de/html/muc-810-eurorack.html
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-muc-810
Old 7th February 2020
Gear Addict

I wouldn't mind getting the polyend module, I wonder how much I would actually use it though.
I can get a couple pitch/gate pairs into my rig a couple of ways, but I rarely ever do that. I like
sequencers and don't really care about performing on any of my modules. I'd rather just get
a nice keyboard synth with a lot of cv control, and a step sequencer

I can see MPE being pretty cool if you can manage that type of setup, other wise I'm fine without
dedicated midi I think. *shrugs
Old 7th February 2020
Deleted c40a31f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism View Post
If I can convert midi din to the midi input in the front then it would be perfect.
Looks like it comes with one DIN MIDI to 3.5mm MIDI so you'd be all set to get started at least?
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

I have the Poly 2 and I really like it. It’s replacing the Mutant Brain and Yarns in my setup, being used with either the Octatrack or Squarp Pyramid. Quick and easy to configure to your needs. And yes, it comes with one DIN midi to 3.5mm midi adapter.
Old 10th February 2020
Lives for gear

Awesome! That muc-810 looks great too.

Going to consider adding one of these
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Maniac

The MUC-810 really looks awesome but I've never found anything about it out there. A video review, personal experience account, nothing.

I got Fh-2 with expanders instead.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Something I've found useful is the cv.ocd.

Pros - very configurable, lots of cv and gate options (4 cv, 12 gate/trigger), very fast response, handles MIDI well.

Cons - have to use a web-based tool to configure it (until I write a stand-alone config tool), 5-pin DIN only, 5v gate output, cv is 0-8v (MIDI notes 24 to 120, use transpose to shift higher/lower), not a module that can mount in a system.

Here's a brief description: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...idi-to-cv-box/

My main use (other than MIDI->cv) has been to use notes to trigger analog sequencers to start and stop. That way, I can simply hit a key on a keyboard (or sequence it) and kick off an analog sequencer in time with everything else and stop it when I want as well.
Old 18th February 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting little tool! I like how it is standalone, good for some other gear I have
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
Something I've found useful is the cv.ocd.

Pros - very configurable, lots of cv and gate options (4 cv, 12 gate/trigger), very fast response, handles MIDI well.

Cons - have to use a web-based tool to configure it (until I write a stand-alone config tool), 5-pin DIN only, 5v gate output, cv is 0-8v (MIDI notes 24 to 120, use transpose to shift higher/lower), not a module that can mount in a system.

Here's a brief description: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2...idi-to-cv-box/

My main use (other than MIDI->cv) has been to use notes to trigger analog sequencers to start and stop. That way, I can simply hit a key on a keyboard (or sequence it) and kick off an analog sequencer in time with everything else and stop it when I want as well.
CV.OCD is exactly the same as the Hex Inverter Mutant Brain (the web tool is identical other than I think one says Mutant Brain on it). If someone is reading this and trying to decide on over one or the other, it just depends on if you want it inside or out of the rack.

One other con I’ll add about the Mutant Brain/CV.OCD is that with all those outputs only 4 can be used for CV, and the rest are for gate/trig/clock. The flexibility of the Poly2 allowing me to configure the outputs to my needs was a big reason why it replaced the Mutant Brain/Yarns combo for me, but I’m still holding onto the Mutant Brain for now, because while it is somewhat restricted, it’s also quite handy to have all those gate/trig outs for clocks (and clock division) and resets etc, and would be easy to throw into a smaller/travel rack.
Old 22nd February 2020
Gear Addict

exactly the reason why i use CV.OCD too
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Hexinverter Mutant Brain is CV.OCD in euro format - works good with OT, does the job and you can configure it easily
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Been using my CV.OCD all week.

I like it, too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I am using Intellijels umidi 1u and it seems to be working well for a smaller case. I have just dove into driving my modular with my octatrack, so I haven't hit too many limitations yet. I still need to learn what the Octatrack can do from the sequencing side.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just pulled it out again for a project I’m working on. Yarns by far ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search