The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer System 55 Modular Synthesizer
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sextuor View Post
Not yet availabe?
No.. still counting down modules. I missed a couple on my short list.
Expect covid delays to everything I expect.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

A 19 inch rack mount 84hp eurocase. That looks kind of useful. I use 19 inch a lot. But the go case is probably the one(s) for me.
Old 6 days ago
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
A 19 inch rack mount 84hp eurocase. That looks kind of useful. I use 19 inch a lot. But the go case is probably the one(s) for me.
Where?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtt View Post
Where?
Just posted today:

https://www.behringer.com/Categories...ogtrans(en|en)
Old 6 days ago
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's ideal! Thanks.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I never understood with this and the Happy Ending kit: how do you keep all the PCB's from being exposed on the back? Isn't that a bad thing? Seems like a dangerous way to house your modules.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
I never understood with this and the Happy Ending kit: how do you keep all the PCB's from being exposed on the back? Isn't that a bad thing? Seems like a dangerous way to house your modules.
Nah. They're tougher than one might think. I move things around pretty often, at this juncture of my modular journey and with traveling. I even pick mine up and handle them and move them around while powered, and I hot-swap things all the time.

Never been shocked, never damaged anything.

ymmv

Plus, they probably "like" open-air cooling.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

in theory anything over 100mA can kill you. Starting at 12V. So eurorack does seem to be the right combination of lethal power. i think these kits are more meant to go into 19" racks for people who don't want to mess around with separate enclosures, especially as 19" is a universal standard and rack space is not expensive (generally).

i wonder why they decide to copy the mantis and the happy ending kit and they missed the intellijel 104 case as that seems to be super popular. they obvioulsy have the machining capabilities to do it and the power supply seems to be there already (similar specs to the intellijel at 3A)
Old 5 days ago
Yeah, I know people who have been shocked using Happy Ending kits. Not dangerously, but a painful stab.
I would never go around the back with it powered up. In fact I have gone Doepfer and don't use the Tip Top units any more.
The kits are OK especially when in a closed housing. Open backed they are the biggest compromise going in Eurorack. But if you understand that and are careful, it's OK.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
in theory anything over 100mA can kill you. Starting at 12V. So eurorack does seem to be the right combination of lethal power. i think these kits are more meant to go into 19" racks for people who don't want to mess around with separate enclosures, especially as 19" is a universal standard and rack space is not expensive (generally).
Yes. I would be putting my modules in a 19 inch rack if it was going in the studio. But it'll be in the bedroom, as a standalone instrument.

OK, now we're talking... pretty!
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer System 55 Modular Synthesizer-25efc5c6-a078-4da7-9416-c0e2f385158e.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
in theory anything over 100mA can kill you. Starting at 12V.
Physics 101: Resistance of the human body (hand to hand - where it can do the damage) is 1000 - 100,000 Ohms (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ody_resistance)

Taking the worst case (wet/broken skin: 1000 Ohms):
current = voltage/resistance => 12 Volts / 1000 Ohms = 0.012 A = 12mA

...so you're never going to get a serious electrical shock off a 12V rail, even if the power supply is rated at a zillion Amps. Yes, you could get very brief high voltages due to inductance when you make/break connections, but not enough to do damage.

(a mains-to-12V transformer with exposed high-voltage parts would be a different matter, but as far as I know these things all use an external power brick)

If you've got a jolt off a 12V rack then possibly it was a static charge you picked up from the carpet - in which case its not you in danger, but your precious modules (static electricity and integrated circuits are not friends) - but if you're getting "persistent" shocks from your rack then you might want to check out your power brick.

...anyhow, I think the idea of the "Happy Endings"-type case is that you'll bolt it into either a DIY box of some sort or a 19" equipment rack. As for Behringer, their forthcoming BARP 2600 looks like it is 19" rack, so its possible that they'll come up with some sort of uber-rack.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the price of the Eurorack Go (with sliding nuts) c.f. the TipTop Mantis (with proper threaded strips) but I guess the jury is out until we see the reviews on build quality. OTOH I wouldn't assume that TipTop would win that - I've got some Behringer speakers and audio interfaces, and the phrase "built like a brick outhouse" springs to mind.

Last edited by donutschool; 5 days ago at 02:13 PM.. Reason: right answer - wrong working
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[

Yes. I would be putting my modules in a 19 inch rack if it was going in the studio. But it'll be in the bedroom, as a standalone instrument.
there's tons of way to get a cheap box. using a framed rail set the actual wood costs very little and most hardware stores will cut it for free. i would suggest going with a framed rail set because everything will line up and all you need is a power supply. glueing the wooden sides together is really simple and if you really wanna do a great job, there's corner clamps on amazon for 10 bucks. problem is no matter how big your first case is, there's always the desire for a bigger one )

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutschool View Post
Physics 101..
i appreciate your detailed answer. mine was based on what i remembered from the 6th grade physics laboratory class. and that's 24 years ago
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

talk to me - is it out ?

if you have real contacts who have the real info ... talk to me ....

need to have this synth - where can i buy it ? when can i buy it ? talk to me - but only ,... only ... if you have the real contacts ...
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Got this from one of my contacts -

the full rack thing - 329.00

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/...SYN0007336-000
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

There are lots of vintage/modern System 55 music examples out there which just use the modular system like a big Minimoog. What Tomita did with that system was pure alchemy; I still can't fully work out how he made some of the sounds in Pictures at An Exhibition or similar albums (even taking the other equipment and instruments into account). His work makes Switched on Bach and many rock albums seem crude and unimaginative, as though the potential of such a powerful synthesizer has only been 1% explored.

Tomita is one of the most under-appreciated artists of the 20th century, almost certainly just because he was Japanese.

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Tomita is one of the most under-appreciated artists of the 20th century, almost certainly just because he was Japanese.
I know I have always appreciated his work. It has aged really well with perhaps the exception of the vocoder use in The Planets.

He was a genius.

Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Some interesting stuff on the component parts in this.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

is the german chap in the modular vids the creator or designer of the 55 remake ?
behringer seem to have people all over working on stuff for them
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajscent View Post
is the german chap in the modular vids the creator or designer of the 55 remake ?
behringer seem to have people all over working on stuff for them
Thats Gus from the "media team" or whatever they call it, along with Patrick (the cheeky one who pronounces Devo as Dev-o), and Sara who clowns around in the other videos. Patrick is a member here and posts in a thread or two on behalf of B.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_6026 View Post
Some interesting stuff on the component parts in this.
Cool. Had missed that one. Lot of emphasis on original circuitry - no mention of FFB i that regard.

@kurzeil, that's a fact! We had Switched on Bach, and Tomita's the Planets growing up. Great albums!
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Thats Gus from the "media team" or whatever they call it, along with Patrick (the cheeky one who pronounces Devo as Dev-o), and Sara who clowns around in the other videos. Patrick is a member here and posts in a thread or two on behalf of B.
ah see ok thanks - yeah hes good promotional type of person - easy to listen to and low key
Old 8 hours ago
Here for the gear
Looking to build a big ass boog 55, Any good suggestion for a 4x140 hp rack case to start?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...id_1118391.jpg
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch towell View Post
Looking to build a big ass boog 55, Any good suggestion for a 4x140 hp rack case to start?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/rack...id_1118391.jpg
Don't like the Eurorack Go?

I'm looking too - same project :-)
Old 7 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Don't like the Eurorack Go?

I'm looking too - same project :-)
Looks just fine, only need two of them, could stack i guess. Dont think they are set up for stacking?
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch towell View Post
Looks just fine, only need two of them, could stack i guess. Dont think they are set up for stacking?
Well no, you're right they aren't. I was going to make a couple of wood sides for them. Not a portable setup.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

I want to see Behringer make bigger studio-oriented cases.
Forget portability and stuff.
I like the Go, but I want a tall system where I can pack everything into it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search