The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Semi Modular Workhorse Centerpiece -- ARP 2600?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Semi Modular Workhorse Centerpiece -- ARP 2600?

Where to start. I'm mostly an ambient and drone producer/composer. I do a lot of generative work (long looping tape delays, quantized sample & hold random chord generation, etc). My primary instruments are Eurorack, MS-20 mini and Ableton. I have a number of semi modular synthesizers (the afore mentioned MS-20 mini, a Minibrute, a Microbrute, a Werkstatt) and a bunch of Moogerfoogers. I like to use these as a giant modular system.

Going forward, I'm looking to move away from some of these standalone synths and move towards a more complete, holistic Eurorack-Ableton setup. But I realize what I really want in addition to that is a single, master, holy grail centerpiece semi-modular. For a couple of years, I've been eyeing the Oberheim Two Voice Pro, but it's now out of production and second-hand prices seem to be skyrocketing. Either way, it's hard to get a hold of. With Korg announcing the ARP 2600, I'm very much leaning towards it. But I have questions.

The price aside, is it worth it? It feels like its the kind of thing where I won't regret it. Is that true? I love how modular it can be: it has distinct sections that can be broken out and used as utilities with my Eurorack (something I think it beats the Two Voice Pro in, change my mind). It's got super classic voicing and sounds and a look that can't be beat. I love the gravitas it has. That's a big thing for me: it just looks the part. I love the verticality (another thing it has over the TVP): it screams "play with me, touch me, use me."

Is there another option for me? Something that checks off at least most of these boxes:

- semi-modular
- v/oct, not hz/v
- vertical
- has a keyboard
- has breakout modules to be used as utilities with other instruments
- has some sort of sequencer or arpeggiator
- has some ability to control VCOs independently of keyboard or built-in sequencer (ie, I can CV the VCO from an external sequencer AND route the output of that VCO to my Eurorack, completely bypassing the internal wiring of the synth)
- has built-in analog effects
- sounds amazing

Any ideas?
Old 1 week ago
I think they've already all been sold.
It wouldn't be my first choice for ambient, but it is great for audio processing and fx. In the 90's I used mine at the centre of a Eurorack system, but I was mostly making melodic music.
The spring reverb is great, as is the audio input.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Maybe a Telemark? My first thought when it comes to getting a centerpiece that you can part out is the Neutron, tbh.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Maybe a Telemark? My first thought when it comes to getting a centerpiece that you can part out is the Neutron, tbh.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Aion Modular Model 15, or an AJH MiniMod with some (all) of the expansion modules. MakeNoise shared system seems like it's born for droney ****. Buchla Music Easel. These are all kinda around that same price point give or take 1K
Old 1 week ago
Yeah, I would go with a Buchla Easel or the new 208 Command module.
Or on the cheaper end a Neutron.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don’t worry about 2600 sold out, I think Korg will make more and even if they don’t I’d bet my house they are going to make a smaller version the clue is in the name “FS” why call it that if you have no other sizes in your range.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Don’t worry about 2600 sold out, I think Korg will make more and even if they don’t I’d bet my house they are going to make a smaller version the clue is in the name “FS” why call it that if you have no other sizes in your range.
That and it's on Behringer's list, so it'll come out eventually.
Old 1 week ago
Oberheim TVS Pro or MFB Dominion 1, the latter is my choice as a control center for modular and it works great. But frankly if you have a decent midi to cv converter then you can use just about any keyboard if all you want is to play scales with your modular. The 2600 looks fun, did they make it duophonic?
Old 1 week ago
OB Two Voice is fairly raw and plain analogue, like the 2600. Not my go to for ambient or esoteric.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The 208c is definitely pretty cool:

Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Moog GM / Matriarch?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

If you want to go modular, why not just go full modular? If you break down the 2600 into its basic components you can use that as a jumping off point to designing your modular. Honestly, once you go fully modular, semi-modulars seem like a bit of a half-step/compromise.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search