The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modular is changing me
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm checking that album out now. It's so different from what I expect from Pet Shop Boys. The first track alone has so much going on, like a ton of chaos, but it all sits well together. The orchestration/house sounds with pop vocals are really striking. Thanks for the recommendation!
Back off topic... You should check out some of their recent stuff as well. I find they are one of the most consistent bands. They manage to keep doing what they do well while also keeping their sound current. I guess in Europe they've maintained pretty steady popularity.
Old 11th January 2020
Deleted 80b9b09
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Back off topic... You should check out some of their recent stuff as well. I find they are one of the most consistent bands. They manage to keep doing what they do well while also keeping their sound current. I guess in Europe they've maintained pretty steady popularity.
I wonder if they like modular?

Saw a great quote recently somewhere about backstage at a PSB concerts some years back, and Neil Tenant was completely taken back as Axl Rose approached them and demanded to know why they didn't play Being Boring, as it was his favourite song of theirs.
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Heh, I remember feeling like that in my first couple years with the format. So many other things just seemed...pedestrian, easy, boring. And as my rig grew, I started to really appreciate a lot of other gear I’d written off because of perceived simplicity in the wake of my modular revelations...in fact, I think it was the Wavestation iOS app and the cool results I’d get from randomizing and tweaking to taste that started to turn me back around.

At the end of the day, nobody cares about the 16 hours you spent getting your patch right, they care about the finished song and how that makes them feel. Sound design is definitely important, it’s just not the end all be all of the process. There’s platinum recording artists out there making good music using presets and making music people are emotionally connected to out there, and there’s a 14 year old kid with a cracked copy of Fruity Loops who is probably going to make a hit single or record before you finish patching your super interesting modular patch. Which isn’t to say that you shouldn’t try making that super interesting modular patch, but you also shouldn’t poo-poo other gear because you perceive it as being “easier” or less skilled or whatever.

At this point, while I primarily work with modular, I’ll use anything-modular, fixed hardware, software, guitar, electric bass, playing my own drum parts on a kit, or whatever else is in my arsenal for the track. I stopped caring about the distinctions or level of difficulty or any elitism (which, sorry dude, is what this post really seems about, but I get it). If you think the Wavestate seems too simple, buy one anyhow from a retailer with a good return policy and try it yourself (since those videos almost always focus on presets or the most basic programming...the Yammy Montage/MODX comes immediately to mind to me as a synth that sounds like boring, trite presets on every demo, but real user experience just trying it out has shown me is a total powerhouse), and sample it to the eurorack sampler I assume you have at this point, and see if you can’t find a purpose for it. If you can’t, then return it. But odds are good that you’ll find some unique things in it not covered by a basic demo that goes beyond the pedestrian applications you thought about it for originally.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Guru

I'm coming to grips with the fact that I may be more of an elitist than I realized. In that Nord Wave 2 thread, there's this big discussion about how it's a shame that it has "only" one gigabyte of memory. It took everything in me to respond more politely than my initial reaction of "you're a lazy spoiled child!" I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about that thread because it bugs me so much that somebody thinks they can't make music with less than a gig of sample memory.
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Lmao I hear that...coming from the octatrack camp
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

When I was a kid, we had 128kb and were happy with it. The 8mb on the Emax II was actually kind of a pain, especially playing live and having to flip disks.

Kids now days.
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
Back at it again in 2020, haha. Seriously, Pet Shop Boys always make great albums with great production and creative lyrics. Funny thing is, their music seems to be getting younger and more dance-y the older they get, lol
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
When I was a kid, we had 128kb and were happy with it. The 8mb on the Emax II was actually kind of a pain, especially playing live and having to flip disks.

Kids now days.
I know!! I got a new 4 meg Emax II when I was a kid, a year later I saved up enough for a rackmout dual 44 megabyte Syquest drive.

Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I know!! I got a new 4 meg Emax II when I was a kid, a year later I saved up enough for a rackmout dual 44 megabyte Syquest drive.

My first PC had only 64k of RAM and no Hard Drive at all.

Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Moon landing computer had only 4kb
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivewire View Post
Moon landing computer had only 4kb
I bet it made music that was out of this world.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Addict
I think the sound is nice but not that usable. Why? too recognizable. But hey, sometimes its fine. I do, for some reason, tend to like digital synths more. They tend to have more modulation options,..unless you go eurorack. But polyphony is super hard.

By the way, how do you feel about DX7? i love the sound, its so bad its great. Also, the presets are so well known. One thing is for certain. My eurorack adventure makes me ditch all my analog gear, and just focus on eurorack instead. Suddenly I find analog gear not so interesting. But modulation of all parameters, the choice of synthesis and tweaking it, well, you have to, makes me enjoy and see things that were not possible before. The blofeld taught me a lot.

Reflecting, I do love the prologue concept, with opensourcing filters, oscs and effects.

I just in the end think, i would think the wavestate is so much more interesting than yet another VA. Maybe i’m getting tired of the analog purism or the hype for vintage gear and nostalgia. But saying this, its very hipocritical as well, with my dx7, behringer D, tape delay, and all my uad plugs, haha. Who am I kidding :D

oh, its just also gear slutz, right? and i do f*n love my jv-1080 rompler. UAD phaser on it and it opens up and be magical. Sonetimes, its just about this one sound. And nobody’s will even notice, haha. But me does, and it inspires.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search