The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Do you leave your gear on until a track is finished?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Do you leave your gear on until a track is finished?

Coming from the computer world where at one point in time convenience won us over... the simplicity of just going to "File > Save As" is no longer available...

How do you guys handle a situation when your in the middle of architecting a nice "track", everything is CV and MIDI up until this point... all your knobs and faders are set perfectly... equipment is heated up to the appropriate temperature etc. Now it's time to go to sleep (maybe even get up and go to work).

Do you turn everything off "hoping" it will sound the same over the next 1 or 2 days. Or, do you leave everything on until your session is completely sequenced and mixed down to a recording?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Nah, I switch everything off when I'm done. Even on the rare occasion where I'm not done with a patch for a single session, everything sounds the same the next day. The analog/thermal drift thing really isn't as drastic an effect as your post makes it sound.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I leave mine on for days sometimes, especially if I'm in the middle of something.

I do turn off the Monitors and Amplifiers, though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Always switch off. Years ago I inherited an S900 sampler that was left on for weeks because the previous owner ran out of discs and couldn't afford to buy some for a while. Ended up burning out the power supply PCB and died so I took it to repair. I had to rebuild the PSU and ended up keeping the sampler as he decided he no longer needed it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search