The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
suggestions for set-ups to make stepped, modulated, tempo sync LFO riffs
Old 3rd January 2020
  #1
Here for the gear
 

suggestions for set-ups to make stepped, modulated, tempo sync LFO riffs

aka Machine Funk!

basically, i am about to buy a metropolis and atlantis to create this style of music...

example track from album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfh8pdnlmVk Daniel Avery - naive response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUviNc1c04 voltage multistage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7qXTiLipoI metropolis sequencing atlantis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvE1...youtu.be&t=599 divkid doing it with a wavefolder

i would love to here how other people would go about creating this style of music with a modular

thank you!
Old 3rd January 2020
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Derp's Avatar
Sounds to me like your best bet is to get more than one sequencer. By that I mean yeah, Metropolis can sequence notes, but more sequencers mean you can sequence and modulate other parameters in a controlled way.
Old 4th January 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia1 View Post
aka Machine Funk!

basically, i am about to buy a metropolis and atlantis to create this style of music...

example track from album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfh8pdnlmVk Daniel Avery - naive response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bUviNc1c04 voltage multistage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7qXTiLipoI metropolis sequencing atlantis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvE1...youtu.be&t=599 divkid doing it with a wavefolder

i would love to here how other people would go about creating this style of music with a modular

thank you!
The best tempo sync'd modulation source I have is the ADE-32 Octocontroller. It's the proverbial, use it in every patch module. Voltage Block would be my second choice. With either, you'll also want an attenuator or attenuverter. For such a small system, I'd probably go with the Voltage Block. It has the advantage of being better able to sequence your sequencers, or in this case, being able to drive chord changes or transpositions on the Metro, making your 8 step patterns a lot more interesting.
Old 5th January 2020
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The best tempo sync'd modulation source I have is the ADE-32 Octocontroller. It's the proverbial, use it in every patch module. Voltage Block would be my second choice. With either, you'll also want an attenuator or attenuverter. For such a small system, I'd probably go with the Voltage Block. It has the advantage of being better able to sequence your sequencers, or in this case, being able to drive chord changes or transpositions on the Metro, making your 8 step patterns a lot more interesting.
thank you so much for your input. i am researching these suggestions now
Old 7th January 2020
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
The best tempo sync'd modulation source I have is the ADE-32 Octocontroller. It's the proverbial, use it in every patch module. Voltage Block would be my second choice. With either, you'll also want an attenuator or attenuverter. For such a small system, I'd probably go with the Voltage Block. It has the advantage of being better able to sequence your sequencers, or in this case, being able to drive chord changes or transpositions on the Metro, making your 8 step patterns a lot more interesting.
if i may ask, what attenuator or attenuverter would you recommend?
Old 7th January 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
void23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia1 View Post
if i may ask, what attenuator or attenuverter would you recommend?
Personally, I use the WMD Scale - Polarize - Offset (S.P.O) and a Quadratt 1U in my Intellijel drum case. Shades is another popular one and then of course, there's Maths.
Old 11th January 2020
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Summer Of Nebula's Avatar
 

ALM Pamela's New Workout can do such stuff too and it is 8 outputs at the same time.
But outputs just go from 0 to 5V which can be seen as a downsite.

I wouldn't want Pam's to be my only mod source but as an addition it is great.

Otherwise I love Ornament & Crimes's quadrature LFOs which can be synced too or o_c's Turing Machines.
o_c gives so much that I plan to get a third one just to use its alternative firmware called Hemisphere.
Old 11th January 2020
  #8
Gear Addict
 
Summer Of Nebula's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia1 View Post
if i may ask, what attenuator or attenuverter would you recommend?
Livestock Felix is nice. It is a 2channel buffered mult + attenuator/attenuverter on every output (3 per channel). No offset though.

ALM O/A/x2 is something I use frequently too. It offers an +/- 8V offset.

Also Manhattan MVP (manual voltage processor) offers a lot of functionality (mixing, attenuverter, passive+buffered mults).
Old 15th January 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Bignatius's Avatar
I like the Quad Attenuverter from Noise Engineering.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Just gotta give another shout out to the Octocontroller. It’s the bee’s knees for tempo synced modulation. Really hard to beat all it does in 14HP.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump