The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
5U/Grandmother/Matriarch panel spacing
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

5U/Grandmother/Matriarch panel spacing

After more than a month with the Grandmother plus the time I had with the Matriarch before, my earlier suspicions re Panel Size have been confirmed:

I vastly (nearly immeasurably) prefer the bigger panel spacing of the Grandmother/Matriarch to the more cramped norm in most Eurorack modules.

Especially when "playing" the gear like an instrument, actively adjusting things in real time, all that. It's more "adult sized", the 5U. For grown person hands.

Granted, IMO, Eurorack still crushes all of the other formats when it comes to options/variety, size of market, size of used market, growth potential, etc.

And, as far as I'm concerned, all of my Eurorack gear sounds and works fantastic.., zero complaints with any of those aspects. I'm cool w 1/8" cables, too.

Further, it's not like I hate Eurorack/3U gear, now. I lurve it, and it excels in certain Use Cases, namely portability and situations where overall size matters.

But I suspect I will start to slowly migrate to a larger format where I can. I don't want to lose any features or options so I may just remount some 3U to 5U.

I haven't gotten that far yet.

But man, what a difference. From "knob resolution" (larger diameter knobs vs tiny ones), to more easily seen labels, more room for your hands; bigger rules.

It's also helped to solidify the decision to go and re-buy a Matriarch to accompany the GM and be a more central piece of my studio-based modular.

Now, more than ever, I must carefully weigh each module I purchase... is there a 5U version already? Is it redundant with the GM and Matriarch, and so on.

Yet another day in modular land.

Warts and all it's still the best thing going.
Old 26th December 2019
Gear Guru

Yeah, everything in 5U is bigger. It ain't got the variety that Euro does, but the basic modules all sound fantastic. I don't like patching in 5U, but I love the sound enough to be slowly rebuilding mine after selling it a couple years ago.
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Yeah, everything in 5U is bigger. It ain't got the variety that Euro does, but the basic modules all sound fantastic. I don't like patching in 5U, but I love the sound enough to be slowly rebuilding mine after selling it a couple years ago.
How far along are you on the rebuilding?

Now people like Noise Engineering are offering 5U versions of their Oscillators so that's pretty great.

I was planning to buy two Oscillators from NE anyway, and now I'm seriously considering getting the bigger ones to start my 5U journey and supplement a Matriarch's onboard VCOs.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
How far along are you on the rebuilding?
This far. I don't even have power or a cabinet for it yet.

Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't like patching in 5U
Whaaaa?

I love patching in 5U. It just feels so solid!
What's your beef with it?
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Whaaaa?

I love patching in 5U. It just feels so solid!
What's your beef with it?
It's too solid. It feels like those connections weren't meant to be undone, so I'll leave it in a state of having a basic voice for weeks on end. Whereas in Euro, everything patches and unpatches with ease, so I always approach it as a blank canvas.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's too solid. It feels like those connections weren't meant to be undone, so I'll leave it in a state of having a basic voice for weeks on end. Whereas in Euro, everything patches and unpatches with ease, so I always approach it as a blank canvas.
I can understand that. I suspect the more traditional analog systems that people usually build in 5U lend themselves more to that kind of patching too (eg classic synth voice).

For me the solidity is awesome. One thing I find annoying with Euro is that occasionally patch cables in the audio path get bumped and jostled which can produce crackle in the audio or CV signal. I never get this with my 5U system.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
For me the solidity is awesome. One thing I find annoying with Euro is that occasionally patch cables in the audio path get bumped and jostled which can produce crackle in the audio or CV signal. I never get this with my 5U system.
I know that feeling. Last night I had a patch going from one side to the other, and I'll often use an attenuator as an intermediary to connect a long patch, but this one was just barely the right length. I had to wiggle sideways because anytime I touched the cable, it would pop out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I agree 100% with the OP, which is why I started focusing on 5U more than euro

only real problem is the GM & M both have mini jacks, so you'll need a stack of adaptors, or dedicated cables to connect them to the larger 5U stuff?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks bolero View Post
I agree 100% with the OP, which is why I started focusing on 5U more than euro

only real problem is the GM & M both have mini jacks, so you'll need a stack of adaptors, or dedicated cables to connect them to the larger 5U stuff?
I'm going to keep everything in 3.5mm jacks, at least for now, and continue to reevaluate as I go.

My first foray will be to convert some existing Eurorack and Pedals to bigger panels/knobs/etc.

My uLFO and Doepfer A-183.2 combo, my URA, Post-Lawsuit Filter, JP8 Filter, etc, one 24" row worth, and some Pedals... my Rubberneck Delay, Komorebi Chorus and Flanger, Phase 45 eurorack, a Retro Mexhanical 2x Pedal Interface, a few others analog pedals...), enough for another two entire 24" rows.

So Ill get 3x full 24" wide rows of hybrid 5U/euro just from conversions, at first, and see how I feel after that. All to accompany my Grandmother and all with things I have already, and I'm putting all of those behind 2mm thick MOTM style panels.

I'm working on panel redesigns now in Illustrator.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Yep, I started in Eurorack but then moved to 5u and no regrets. For classic fat moog sounds, 5u sounds better to my ears than my Eurorack setup, and I'm more inclined to hook up a keyboard and play it that way. For module variety and the more experimental stuff, I still go to my Eurorack for that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecaruption View Post
Yep, I started in Eurorack but then moved to 5u and no regrets. For classic fat moog sounds, 5u sounds better to my ears than my Eurorack setup, and I'm more inclined to hook up a keyboard and play it that way. For module variety and the more experimental stuff, I still go to my Eurorack for that.
Absolutely the same experience here
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search