The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro's & Cons: Instruo Cs-L vs. Rossum Trident
Old 4 weeks ago
Pro's & Cons: Instruo Cs-L vs. Rossum Trident

Well, I'm considering one of these two oscillators as a x-mas gift and i watched all videos of both but i still can't make my mind up which one to get.

Does anybody had the chance to use both and could tell me what pros and cons i have to consider? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Before I put in my advice, what type of music do you play? What is your goal in adding your next sound source (what are you looking to get out of it? Your number 1 go to sound source? Your final link in the chain? Filling a gap? Etc...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These are "fm/complex oscs" aka whatever coast its now is oscs. and if you dont do that kinda music. then get something else. imo.
I'd listen to that make noise table top synth demo first. the 0-coast. if you dont like these sounds then dont get a complex osc imo.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the rossum does one more. so it kinda goes to 11. and more is better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The Trident is super precise and stable. Minus the FM components. It’s a super smooth and flexible oscillator E.g. a great addition to any system.

Can’t say about the instruo module myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

pekbro. the "fm commponents"

well the actual fm components of analog stuff is not really good for precise fm stuff.

if you want good fm action with analogs its phase mod or phase dist that on the table. iirc this is how all classic fm synths worked. because they all found out real actual fm was not really good. or so i've read.

and i guess it kinda depends on what you demand of the system in the end.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I don’t use the fm a lot myself, I do use the phase modulation. All 3 osc can be used independently. Believe me it’s super precise, one of the best oscillators out there imho.

*that said, I’ve only ever gotten my hands on about 6 oscillators. I’ve heard only good stuff about the instruo module.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i don't use fm myself much either. and if i do its pretty basic 2 osc stuff. then all standard stuff works just fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I agree with most of what the others have said. The trident is my pick of the two. It will cover more ground than the Cs-l.

Comparison to the 0-coast isn’t spot on, as it isn’t a CO; a better comparison is the Make Noise DPO.

I just got a Furthrrr Generator, which is a CO, and has become my favorite sound source, above trident, CS-L, and DPO. The thing is pretty remarkable.

You should also look at the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. I’ve had it for a few days, and I think I’m placing it between the trident and Furthrr Generator. It covers some of the same sonic territory as Trident, and it just sounds incredible.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrOOh View Post
I agree with most of what the others have said. The trident is my pick of the two. It will cover more ground than the Cs-l.

Comparison to the 0-coast isn’t spot on, as it isn’t a CO; a better comparison is the Make Noise DPO.

I just got a Furthrrr Generator, which is a CO, and has become my favorite sound source, above trident, CS-L, and DPO. The thing is pretty remarkable.

You should also look at the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator. I’ve had it for a few days, and I think I’m placing it between the trident and Furthrr Generator. It covers some of the same sonic territory as Trident, and it just sounds incredible.

Not a fan of Verbos price policy. I do think they make quality modules but they are overpriced.

Thanks to all suggestions. I lean more towards the trident for some time but the Cs-L looked promising as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
M32
Lives for gear

Trident is amazingly deep, but it has a bit of a metallic timbre i'm not super keen on.

Love the CsL, it's allround class. A lot of it's features work standalone as well, so you gain 2 independant wavefolders with vca and a 3 type ringmod you can use apart from 2 different core oscillators that can also be used separately, 2 types of PWM, 3octave-switchable sub, so a lot of sonic possibilities, stable pitch and very full spectrum range & timbre.

Recently got a Verbos too, and it is much more limited, but has a very warm and vintage quality. Just a straight sine is beautiful, lush and drifty. Vèry drifty, they do need retuning quite regularly.
Old 4 weeks ago
It's a hard decision to make. Wish I could buy both.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search