Muffwiggler is down again.

Just noticed a moment ago.

Old 21st December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Just noticed a moment ago.

Hmm bum

Previously this was due to unpaid bills, wonder what the issue is now?
Old 21st December 2019
Gear Addict
Don’t know, but last night several browsers prevented me from accessing the site for security reasons. I think they said the site had a self-issued security certificate. Could it have been hacked?
Old 21st December 2019
Here for the gear
I thought they'd solved their web admin issues, but it seems the woe just goes on and on.
Old 21st December 2019
Gear Addict

Definitely looks like the non-payment thing again.
Hackers generally have the goal to advertise their hacks with some kind of notice replacing the affected site. Muffs is just gone, which is more consistent with having the plug pulled on you.
Old 22nd December 2019
This seems to always happen out of the blue. Is there someone in charge of the financial portion of the website that can let members know when funds are needed so we can try and raise the money before it shuts down? (if it is indeed a financial matter)
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

No idea.

I'm too new over there to know any of those deets.
Old 22nd December 2019
Here for the gear
Doesn’t this happen like clockwork every year around this time? I hate to be cynical, but this really appears to be a ploy to raise some extra Christmas money...

Not that the admins don’t deserve a Christmas bonus, but still...
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donglekong View Post
Doesn’t this happen like clockwork every year around this time? I hate to be cynical, but this really appears to be a ploy to raise some extra Christmas money...

Not that the admins don’t deserve a Christmas bonus, but still...
That's true.

What became apparent last time was the hosting was expensive for what's required.. I'm sure you could run muffs on £20-£50/mo easy, and likely pay for it with advertising.

I thought they were going to sort alternative hosting after Mr. Muffs sadly passed, I suppose they haven't.

If it doesn't get sorted I'm half tempted to mine what I can from archive /wayback and build anew, maybe with some other name that gets the site banned on work networks (slutwigglerz?)
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

There's no real reason to think it's nefarious.

It's gone down and back up shortly later several times in the last few years I've been lurking or posting.

But i have no real insights into the Admin, I don't think I've ever even communicated with any mods over there beyond Lisa (who also posts over here).
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Not to toot my own horn, but this is precisely why I bugged the mods to create the modular forum here. Muffs is great, but it goes down often enough that I think it’s risky to have it be the only main searchable repository of modular discussion online. Very glad the mods here agreed.
Old 22nd December 2019
DSC
Gear Maniac

What are you doing right now?

I am working on and proto-testing a custom 48 channel eurorack mixer design!

Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post

you're my hero (mods and prototyping wise).

i should've picked hardware rather than software.

Old 22nd December 2019
DSC
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Software is always needed too. These days, seems like most modules now have some kind of processor in them, sometimes more than one
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Could be that it always seems to happen around the same time because ummm... annual renewal?
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post

I just want to say that I hate you because you’re always DIYing whatever gear you want, and it’s often the same gear I want but have no idea how to build.

Ok, I don’t hate you. I just wish I could intern under you to learn to do it myself. Hats off.
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

The domain is working again. Still no forum.
Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Get in line.

Old 22nd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
The domain is working again. Still no forum.
Oh. That's good.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

The interesting thing is that seemingly, it's not really so different. You just use
resistors and switches and whatnot in place of the math and logic in the programming.
It's not a coincidence that you can translate hardware to software and vice versa
(for all intents and purposes) directly.

You only need to learn what functions are provided by what components, and some
simple rules, so as not to electrocute yourself or damage stuff.

That's how I see it anyway...
Old 23rd December 2019
Gear Addict
MW is back up. Apparently, the migrated to a different, cheaper platform (which hopefully will make MW more reliably available).
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeF View Post
MW is back up. Apparently, the migrated to a different, cheaper platform (which hopefully will make MW more reliably available).
Looks like it was just growing pains. Here's the thread with details:
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewto...67575#p3167575
Old 23rd December 2019
Lives for gear

Good.
Old 23rd December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDeF View Post
This is what I'm hoping for. Though I prefer GS, MW has so much important and valuable information there. It would be a shame for it all to be lost.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

MW is back up and they have crossed over to updated forum software. Some people hate it some people like it. I like it.
Old 31st December 2019
Lives for gear

So plessed they have it worked out and a plan.

Am not a fan of the new skin/livery, but it works.
Old 31st December 2019
Gear Guru

As long as they've reduced costs and future-proofed themselves, then I'm all in favor of these changes. You can't make everybody happy with aesthetics, so they could make it passion purple and poopie brown for all I care. I was starting to think that the site was going to die off, and thankfully I was wrong.
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear
The look doesn't concern me either way. But it's interesting to see how many people are congratulating the new admin guy after his "upgrade". He admitted he let the hosting lapse and the site go offline before bothering to do anything. Then he loses about 10 days of posts and it's a big "meh" whatever. Maybe it's just because I was really enjoying the "Best modules of 2019" thread which just vaporized into the ether.

I'd like to see a new player come along.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar Pie View Post
The look doesn't concern me either way. But it's interesting to see how many people are congratulating the new admin guy after his "upgrade". He admitted he let the hosting lapse and the site go offline before bothering to do anything. Then he loses about 10 days of posts and it's a big "meh" whatever. Maybe it's just because I was really enjoying the "Best modules of 2019" thread which just vaporized into the ether.

I'd like to see a new player come along.
Fawning?

I just read threads I like. Have seen no fawning.
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear
I deleted that word just after posting since maybe it was too strong. But if you look at the thread its post after post of congratulations. Could be relief that it's back at all. I expect it'll permanently disappear one day without explanation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search