The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Muffwiggler is down again.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar Pie View Post
The look doesn't concern me either way. But it's interesting to see how many people are congratulating the new admin guy after his "upgrade". He admitted he let the hosting lapse and the site go offline before bothering to do anything. Then he loses about 10 days of posts and it's a big "meh" whatever. Maybe it's just because I was really enjoying the "Best modules of 2019" thread which just vaporized into the ether.

I'd like to see a new player come along.
Your interpretation of the following seems off (from here).

Quote:
"I've been working for the past few weeks to migrate the server off of the old (and expensive!) Dreamhost servers on to something more affordable and better designed so I can more easily troubleshoot it when issues do happen. I was about 70% done that process and caught up with my day job when the Dreamhost bill came due, causing the site outage.

The good news is that the outage lit a fire under my ass to get the migration done, and I'm pleased to say that is it now complete; muffwiggler.com is now hosted by vultr, bringing out monthly bill down by several hundred dollars.
I expect performance will be similar if not better than before; The forum software has been upgraded to the latest (phpBB 3.2), there's a lot less bloat on the server, and the software running the site is laid out in a much more sane manner (10 years of backups, draft sites, and software upgrades leaves a lot of garbage behind)."
and from a few post further in that same thread...

Quote:
"I'm going to focus on the missing posts, attachments, rank icons, and cats for now, and I'll circle back to the style a bit later in the week.
I'll be happy to pick up a couple themes then, but my brain is just fried right now."
You can see the status of all his tasks here: https://trello.com/b/77pMhYZC/muffwiggler-forums

and it looks like "Missing Posts and PMs" is in progress.

I've been through a couple of Bulletin Board migrations and they usually either lock it down during migration, make the users aware they may lose posts or create a dedicated posting area that's disposable. KVR and PRS Forum did these.

IMO: The new forum is faster than ever and the cookies seem to actually work now. They seem more open than ever with transparency. The mods seem to be on top of all the small issues.

Maybe it seems like fawning to you because so many people are being appreciative of a much neglected forum finally seeing some attention.

Also, as someone who has lost a vital family element recently, I can't fault the owners for their not being on top of all things forum. But I do admire their desire to keep Mikes forum going.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

And just because I feel like making this the first dead horse I beat this year...

*DISCLAIMER* I am no longer an IT professional and I was never a programmer

To address your specific concern of missing posts. Flatscan says he thought he pulled from the most recent backup.

Most forum software is run with some kind of relational database in the background. What appears to be a simple post is actually a bunch of data in different tables that are all linked to each other via a primary key. More common than not, primary keys are a sequential number on the table, that is unique to that table.

When a post is created, it is put into a table that has a sequential key assigned to it that holds the very thoughtful information you decided to share with all of us.

*Warning* Extreme speculation ahead

If you take a look at my post above, the URL is gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=14419767

I suspect that number is possibly a primary key for one of the tables in the database. If you go to susbsequent numbers, you will see these numbers lead to posts all over the entire forum. in no particular pattern other than (I suspect) the time they were posted.

Now, that particular table does not contain all the information you see in that one post but, the database itself does know the links from say, the table that contains say, what you typed to the table, that says what forum thats in and the table that says what user posted it. and whatever else. These tables are all linked via the previously mentioned keys.

So, when muffs went live with a dataset that was (10 days?) older, the new copy of the database started writing primary keys, sequentially from that date, using primary keys that would have already been used on the old server.

This data has also been through a data migration from the old PHPBB version to the new one.

So to recover those missing days, he would first have to somehow isolate the subset of data he needs to recover then somehow convert it to the current version, replace the primary keys on that data while maintaining the links to all the other keys it has relations with and merge it with the current database. (or something like that)

To summarize, it's a lot of ****ing work. I admire him for attempting, I wouldn't blame him at all if he just writes that one off. Some/most of the above is probably overly simplified.
Old 2nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Forums are generally goofy halfass software, in the background. If someone made forum software that was so great none of the problems happened, no one could afford to use it.

Most forum software and such are not even remotely built with these sorts of scenarios in mind, or it's a halfass implementation at best. It's lucky such things migrate as well as they do.
Old 2nd January 2020
Here for the gear
OK, I stand corrected.
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

i can confirm that wiffmuggler is now online again.
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

For days now.
Old 3rd January 2020
Lives for gear

and i can see pics without logging in!! and avatars...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search