The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer TD3 DIY Mods
Old 12th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie
Well, this is a >>modding<< thread and maybe RonR just liked what he did...
from his post it looks like he's maybe clueless of what i'm talking about

Quote:
Apart from that I really like that you can clearly hear something (now)
such funny, very humour (wow)

i guess there's no other way than trying all kinds of mods on a 303 yourself untill you get to the conclusion that the 303 sound pretty much can't be made any better, it can only be ruined (easily)
of course, in "music", everything can be usable, even synthetic (or OG) fart sounds
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR
If you mean the overmodulated/overdrived resonance that was the unchanged td-3.
uh, no
when i said "volume envelope" i don't think i meant "the resonance" in any way.. more like.. the volume envelope
it's weird how simple things can be hard to communicate in these threads
Here for the gear

Please excuse @ antto , my English is not good.

What is Releas tail?

Overlapping frequencies?

I'd rather not do that communicating in a language I don't speak.

I'm going to modde another td-3 and make d22 only 1uf.

Thanks to everyone here you are great.
Old 12th January 2020
der wos do so schreit is gonz a wüda

did two more things today - bypass distortion, which is totally easy (remove r167 and r182, then bridge r183 with wire or solder) and remove r106 for vca level increase - first I was not exactly sure about that last one since you need to dial the main volume back again to find the default spot, but got used to this soon and will do more comparisons - on full accent, the mixer is a tad (and nicely) overdiven when volume is full on
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
der wos do so schreit is gonz a wüda

did two more things today - bypass distortion, which is totally easy (remove r167 and r182, then bridge r183 with wire or solder) and remove r106 for vca level increase - first I was not exactly sure about that last one since you need to dial the main volume back again to find the default spot, but got used to this soon and will do more comparisons - on full accent, the mixer is a tad (and nicely) overdiven when volume is full on
Falco would've approved

Yes, I'm too gonna look at the somewhat lacking distortion next, will try all the things nordcore mentioned.
Old 14th January 2020
Gear Head
Here a real acid biting tb.
Still in its original state (no repairs or mods).
Attached Files

acidbites-real_303.mp3 (9.22 MB, 2355 views)

Old 14th January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedok View Post
thanks, wedok!

it's good to have a comparison point against el-folie's file in post #334

just listened and think the teedee is holding up quite well
Lives for gear

Quote:
That´s really great, thanks!

As you have a real 303, would you mind to do some slow low/high long note audio examples like in my post: Behringer TD3 DIY Mods

If at all possible, min/max knob parameter long release notes would be best.

That way those who want could fine tune their mods to an original unit, that´d be ace
Old 14th January 2020
Here for the gear

You guys gotta try @ Nordcore 's "psu mod".
I just installed it with 100ohm .
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
As you have a real 303, would you mind to do some slow low/high long note audio examples like in my post: Behringer TD3 DIY Mods
yep.
Attached Files

saw,_all_up,_reso=0.mp3 (226.4 KB, 1678 views)

saw,_all_up,_reso=25.mp3 (256.7 KB, 1643 views)

saw,_all_up,_reso=50.mp3 (278.3 KB, 1652 views)

saw,_all_up,_reso=75.mp3 (278.4 KB, 1647 views)

saw,_all_up,_reso=100.mp3 (274.0 KB, 1634 views)

saw,_decay_down,_reso=100.mp3 (229.7 KB, 1655 views)

square,_all_up,_reso=0.mp3 (224.5 KB, 1666 views)

square,_all_up,_reso=25.mp3 (245.1 KB, 1686 views)

square,_all_up,_reso=50.mp3 (262.7 KB, 1621 views)

square,_all_up,_reso=75.mp3 (270.9 KB, 1652 views)

square,_all_up,_reso=100.mp3 (276.7 KB, 1653 views)

square,_decay_down,_reso=100.mp3 (227.5 KB, 1672 views)

saw,_cutoff_down,_env_down,_reso=0.mp3 (207.0 KB, 1617 views)

saw,_cutoff_up,_env_down,_reso=0.mp3 (207.8 KB, 1599 views)

square,_cutoff_down,_env_down,_reso=0.mp3 (204.2 KB, 1608 views)

square,_cutoff_up,_env_down,_reso=0.mp3 (209.1 KB, 1638 views)

saw,_cutoff_down,_env_down,_reso=100.mp3 (214.3 KB, 1605 views)

saw,_cutoff_up,_env_down,_reso=100.mp3 (261.9 KB, 1628 views)

square,_cutoff_down,_env_down,_reso=100.mp3 (207.3 KB, 1622 views)

square,_cutoff_up,_env_down,_reso=100.mp3 (271.1 KB, 1649 views)

saw,_cutoff_up,_env_down,_reso=100,_decay_down.mp3 (256.2 KB, 1614 views)

square,_cutoff_up,_env_down,_reso=100,_decay_down.mp3 (261.1 KB, 1694 views)

Lives for gear

@ wedok :

Ahhh, can´t thank you enough, perfect examples, invaluable information for 303 aficionados like myself

Would it be too much to ask for two more files with env mod & resonance at zero and then cutoff min/max?
Old 14th January 2020
awesome, wedok- thanks for doing this
Lives for gear

Just a quick note to let you all know (and this really wasn´t to be expected imho), but my current state modded TD-3 can be set to sound 99,9 if not 100 % like wedok´s TB-303. This is effing great!

The only differences (for this static low/high note comparison of course) are:

1. Cutoff freq has to be set at about 2 o clock-ish max to sound like wedok´s at max.
2. Resonance has to be set at close to but not max
3. Decay has to be set at about 8 o clock at min, max is ok

If I do that I can clone all the original 303 audio and I really really really don´t mind a shorter decay time, more cutoff or over the top resonance if I just want/need it. Ace! Behringer did a great job!

A real 303 ersatz with the spot on sequencer for 150 €, unvelievable.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
You guys gotta try @ Nordcore 's "psu mod".
I just installed it with 100ohm .
As soon as I have the time
Old 14th January 2020
seems we have a winner with this one

on a different note - toyed with the classic bass mod today and got this - not sure if i'll keep it but wanted to test it

sound file - unmodded - 100nf - unmodded 220nf - unmodded 470nf (i know the classic says 100nf but hey, curiosity and such...)
Attached Files

bassbootstabacad.mp3 (820.0 KB, 1725 views)

Gear Head
Quote:
@ wedok :

Ahhh, can´t thank you enough, perfect examples, invaluable information for 303 aficionados like myself

Would it be too much to ask for two more files with env mod & resonance at zero and then cutoff min/max?
i've edited my previous post and added some more files.
Gear Addict

Quote:
I really dig this modding state, sounds great. Here´s one more to show the funky bounce it´s capable of now

Edit:
It looks like even the smiley is rocking to the beat of this pattern lololol
Loving this pattern, keep listening to it, sounds like a 303 didgeridoo or something.

Is there any chance you could please share a pattern sheet?

Lives for gear

Quote:
yep.
Dinsync has a similar set of files from his TB303 that might also be useful for comparison.

http://www.dinsync.info/2010/02/tb-3...or-x0xb0x.html
Old 15th January 2020
Here for the gear

Another short audio demo of my Red TD-3

-r106 clipping mod
-r44 Cutoff mod
-r189 PW mod
-C52 mod 100nf
-C51 mod 100nf
-D22 rubber mod 1uf
-r92 PSU Mod 100 ohm

You are my heroes @ Maffez @ el-folie @ Nordcore ......
Now very close to the TB303 thanks
Attached Files

Wobbling mod TD-3 .mp3 (6.39 MB, 2309 views)

Old 15th January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Another short audio demo of my Red TD-3

-r106 clipping mod
-r44 Cutoff mod
-r189 PW mod
-C52 mod 100nf
-C51 mod 100nf
-D22 rubber mod 1uf
-PSU Mod 100 ohm

You are my heroes @ Maffez @ el-folie @ Nordcore ......
Now very close to the TB303 thanks
soundfile from 2:46 !
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

I hear I should be getting my Limited Edition £99 Andertons "we ballsed up the website" TD-3 in the next few days... I wonder how long I'll last before opening 'er up Had lots of practice with the soldering iron in the last couple of weeks on my first foray into eurorack, built 3 Erica Synths modules and 3 stripboard ones, so feeling much more confident that I can tweak a pre-made synth without neutralising all the acid
Old 16th January 2020
go, Bilb!

on a different note - won't do the bass mod since it doesn't sound that wowza to me; there's an increase at lower frequencies, but also a tad more mud maybe, so i'll leave subby duties to something else

did the pwer supply mod with 100ohms and it sounds nice

did fiddle about with r106 mod (vca level increase) and decided some hipster middle ground of 1megaohm for r106 - the original value sounded too little after removing r106 entirely, while r106 fully out was a bit to crisp for me

also shorted r68 with wire since with the accent decay mod, you can compensate - this way you also can reduce the zap of the normal decay -- nice effect to fade in from no envelope at all (with env amount all up) to "hey, is there anything" and "ah, i think there is something" and then zappety zappety
Old 17th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

The sound demos of these mods are sounding great, and I really would like to get my TD-3 to a more rubber-like place. The differences are small but significant.

For someone with zero knowledge and minimal soldering experience (wired a few cables, replaced a few capacitors), how difficult would this be? I'd really like to dive in and give it a try, but am intimidated by SMT, and also get a little bit lost when I read stuff like "Best use a 10k resistor and 15k trimmer in series". I'm willing to learn, but wonder if I'm better off hiring somebody to do it right.

I feel like I might benefit from seeing pictures of some modded innards, or at least have a better idea as to whether this is something I could even do without destroying the unit.

Any encouragement or discouragement is appreciated!
Old 17th January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketcherone View Post
The sound demos of these mods are sounding great, and I really would like to get my TD-3 to a more rubber-like place. The differences are small but significant.

For someone with zero knowledge and minimal soldering experience (wired a few cables, replaced a few capacitors), how difficult would this be? I'd really like to dive in and give it a try, but am intimidated by SMT, and also get a little bit lost when I read stuff like "Best use a 10k resistor and 15k trimmer in series". I'm willing to learn, but wonder if I'm better off hiring somebody to do it right.

I feel like I might benefit from seeing pictures of some modded innards, or at least have a better idea as to whether this is something I could even do without destroying the unit.

Any encouragement or discouragement is appreciated!
hey sketcherone,

the rubber mod could be done with some little experience in soldering, i think, since you do not need to replace anything - see pic in this post: Behringer TD3 DIY Mods

as for other things, the smaller a component and the more legs it has, the trickier, i think

pw mod - the resistor is easily reachable

psu mod - the resistor is not so well reachable

had some feedback from users in another forum with not so much experience and they did the pw mod and others - yet, some stuff might need a bit of patience and training, for instance removing resistors

you'd need a pointy soldering iron tip and could also think about getting an smd soldering practice kit or a circuit board from the dump or something for trying yourself out

yet, if this qould be a one-off diy and you'd need to buy a soldering iron etc., a local tech might be easier
Old 18th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Great thread! I'm looking forward to seeing what will make it as mod kits and if Behringer will post a more expensive version which includes some of these mods.

Also, I think it would be great if patterns could be shared when posting audio files. That way us 303 owners could post audio files to compare.
Exports from the Behringer synth tool would also be OK I think.
Old 18th January 2020
Here for the gear

Attached Files
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut
Can anyone explain which trimpot I need to use to scale the tuning of my TD-3 please? Mine goes out of tune in the lower two octaves when notes triggered by midi.
Old 18th January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevobo View Post
Can anyone explain which trimpot I need to use to scale the tuning of my TD-3 please? Mine goes out of tune in the lower two octaves when notes triggered by midi.
osc scale (vr15) should help you there

haven't fiddled with it yet, so can't be of much further help - if you haven't calibrated a vco yet, there's decent info online how to do it
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer TD3 DIY Mods-dscn4440.jpg  
Old 20th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
hey sketcherone,

the rubber mod could be done with some little experience in soldering, i think, since you do not need to replace anything - see pic in this post: Behringer TD3 DIY Mods
Thanks for the pointers and the link to that post! I can probably do that safely, and if it goes well may give the PW mod a try.
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Head

Hi... thanks for this great thread!

I'm looking for the R45 and C51 mod.
Is there a preferred kind of capacitor for the C51 mod? (Electrolytic, Mica, Film, etc)
📝 Reply