The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequencer for 4 Oberheim SEMS?
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Sequencer for 4 Oberheim SEMS?

I have 4 Oberheim SEMS (circa 2010). What is a good sequencer to use with these that is similar to the vintage Oberheim Mini-Sequencer that was in their 4-voice? It doesn't have to be in Eurorack format.

Thanks.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Guru

What about an Oberkorn?
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks, looks good, but a little on the large side. May be discontinued?
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL View Post
Thanks, looks good, but a little on the large side. May be discontinued?
Just checked and they're still being made, though a lot more expensive than they were when they first rolled out over a decade ago. Secondhand prices aren't too bad, and ASol gear is built like tanks. Plus the MIDI spec is adventurous if you want to get into creative sequencing. I think it's well worth it.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

The sequencer is not so problematic. You can use anything really. Malekko Varigate and Voltage Block are probably the best combination, but also a little on the expensive side. I have Zaquencer, kinda cheap, but works well.

The problematic part to achieve the original 4 voice is the round robin. I recommend the Vermona qMI 2 interface - its what Vermona has in their perfourmer.. its perfect for the purpose.

A matrix mixer is another thing you may want to add to your "4-voice". The Oberheims lack attenuation.

Another useful module i would consider in your place is a precision adder. Its gonna help you tuning all 4 SEMs or detuning 4 2nd osc in one go.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
The sequencer is not so problematic. You can use anything really. Malekko Varigate and Voltage Block are probably the best combination, but also a little on the expensive side. I have Zaquencer, kinda cheap, but works well.

The problematic part to achieve the original 4 voice is the round robin. I recommend the Vermona qMI 2 interface - its what Vermona has in their perfourmer.. its perfect for the purpose.

A matrix mixer is another thing you may want to add to your "4-voice". The Oberheims lack attenuation.

Another useful module i would consider in your place is a precision adder. Its gonna help you tuning all 4 SEMs or detuning 4 2nd osc in one go.
I'm looking hard at the Varigate+VoltageBlock combo for my percussion/groovebox case.

It's a powerful combo.
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

Great info, thanks!
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

The Lunar looks great...thx.
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

Big, but worth it - Koma Komplex.
4 separate sequencers, can be under a common clock (or not), does cv and MIDI.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search