The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cre8audio announces NiftyBUNDLE, NiftyCASE, Chipz, & Cellz
Old 31st October 2019
News Desk Editor

Affordable modular synthesizer case with USB & MIDI Din to CV and selection of modules.

Cre8audio, a company that no one has heard of prior to this press release, proclaimed their existence by releasing the beginnings of an eurorack compatible modular synthesizer system. The system currently consists of a few pieces, that are available separately or together as a big chunky bundle.

NiftyCASE - powered modular case with MIDI to CV
MSRP $249.99 Estimated Street $199.99

In addition to being a powered 84hp eurorack compatible modular synthesizer case, NiftyCASE features USB MIDI and 5 pin Din MIDI to CV/Gate conversion. This makes it easy for users to integrate modular synthesis into computer and traditional MIDI environments.

NiftyCASE also features a significant 2.5A of total power for installed modules. 1500mA +12V, 500mA -12V, and 500mA +5v is supplied for module power consumption.

Chipz - dual VCO and LFO
MSRP $149.99 Estimated Street $99.99

Chipz voltage-controlled oscillators are derived from classic lo-fi sounding wave shapes, designed to be full of character.

Each VCO features 5 different waveshapes, sine, triangle, saw, square, and noise. Users can morph between waveshapes with the turn of a knob. VCO #1 - Chip1 has an integrated filter, VCO #2 - Chip2 has integrated width control, aka duty cycle of the waveform can be modulated to shape the sound.
Chipz dual LFO also features 5 different waveshapes, sine, triangle, saw, square, and random. Users can change between each of these waveshapes with the turn of a knob.

Cellz - programmable CV touch pad
MSRP $149.99 Estimated Street $99.99

Cellz is in many ways 3 modules in one, a controller, sequencer, and an arpeggiator. Each of the 16 “Cellz” can be individually tuned to output 2 different CV values. The user then can play each Cell by touching it. Cellz automatically cycle and can be arpeggiated while touching multiple Cellz simultaneously. Alternatively, users can build their own sequences that run automatically by feeding/inputting Cellz clock, gate, or even an LFO.

Box ‘O’ Cables - duh, it’s a box that has cables in it
MSRP $19.99 Estimated Street $15

There’s not really a lot of exciting things to say about a box that has cables in it. It’s a box with 3 pairs (2x 45cm, 2x 35cm, 2x 20cm) cables of different lengths with 3.5mm mono/ts ends, all designed to be used with eurorack compatible modules.

NiftyBUNDLE - big box full of synthy fun (aka metal, wood, wires, knobs, and circuit boards, all for your eye and ear holes)
MSRP $569.96 Estimated Street $269.99

NiftyBUNDLE is designed to dropkick new users into the modular world or give existing modular users a great way to expand their setups at a super value. It includes NiftyCASE, Chipz, Cellz, the cables from Box ‘O’ Cables, and 2 Cre8audio “8” blank panels for covering unused rackspace.

All of the above are imminently available from Cre8audio.com and Cre8audio dealers worldwide. To see more pictures, check out videos, find a list of dealers, and to just learn more, please visit: www.Cre8audio.com
Attached Thumbnails
Cre8audio announces NiftyBUNDLE, NiftyCASE, Chipz, & Cellz-unnamed-2-.jpg  
Old 31st October 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the post!

Here's some videos of the stuff.

Old 15th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Did anyone get one of these? This seems like a great bargain - and the included modules seem very cool. As I contemplate a jump into euro (I said I was never going to do this) this might take a bit of the sting out of the startup costs for me. Not to mention, up and running out of the box.
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
Did anyone get one of these? This seems like a great bargain - and the included modules seem very cool. As I contemplate a jump into euro (I said I was never going to do this) this might take a bit of the sting out of the startup costs for me. Not to mention, up and running out of the box.
Agreed, they're a bargain, especially if you go for the full bundle. It's like getting the case for only $50 on top of some already budget-priced modules.

I don't have the case, but I do have the modules. Thing is that they're not newbie-friendly. You really can't do much with them by themselves. To get the Cellz really moving, you need two trigger signals, but the Chipz only supplies one LFO. Sweetwater has a bundle now with the Cre8Audio case and modules, plus a couple Dreadbox Chromatics (Eudemonia and Ataxia). Since this adds a VCA, a very cool filter, and two function generators, you can really get something wicked going this way.
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
To get the Cellz really moving, you need two trigger signals, but the Chipz only supplies one LFO.
Can't you tune the VCOs down into a LFO land?

If not Dreadbox's Utopia and Nostalgia make also their LFO available for other modules.

Masi
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitito View Post
Can't you tune the VCOs down into a LFO land?

If not Dreadbox's Utopia and Nostalgia make also their LFO available for other modules.

Masi
Off the top of my head, I don't think they'll go very low, but even if they could, then you wouldn't really have any audio for Cellz to address.

In any case, Dreadbox's whole Chromatic line is great. I bought a voice of them, and they bring so much joy.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyedwards View Post
I bought the bundle. In retrospect, I should've just got the case because the modules kinda suck. I'm not really interested in Cellz because I would much rather trigger from Ableton/Push and Chipz has turned out to be really noisy, though it does come with two VCO's and two LFO's (one is half the speed of the other), so it has been quite useful.

Other than that, it is the best bang-for-buck introduction to Eurorack that I've seen, and I'm happy with my purchase. I still have Chipz and Cellz in my case right now because I don't exactly have a lot of extra cash lying around, what with the apocalypse and all, but I will eventually replace both of them.
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Off the top of my head, I don't think they'll go very low, but even if they could, then you wouldn't really have any audio for Cellz to address.
I thought more about using the bundle as an expander for a semi-modular synth. So Cellz would drive the VCOs of the synth and all of the Chipz oscillators would be free to modulate "everything" of the synth.

Masi
Old 21st April 2020
Here for the gear

High pitch noise problem

I just got this case and it makes a super annoying high pitch tone. It's definitely a power supply issue. I only have 6 modules, taking up 2/3 of the case. I'm curious if I just got a bad one or if the power supply is really that bad? If it is that bad then I can't add any modules, and have to take one out to make it work. I tried different combo's of modules and determined it's not any one of the modules that's causing it. Taking certain one's out makes it go away, but once it reaches it's limit it makes the noise. Any input appreciated.
Old 21st April 2020
Lives for gear

what modules do you have in it? not sure what power rating it has but you shouldn't be towards the upper limit of a power supply, especially the weaker ones. and some digital modules can add noise. i bought a multi fx and almost went crazy trying to find the noise (installed it with some other modules at the same time) and finally i realized it was the fx 9after trying it in other cases as well so i returned it. also, some combination of modules yields more or less noise. it's kind of dice game tbh. unless you spend stupid money on cases and power.
Old 22nd April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalMix View Post
I bought the bundle. In retrospect, I should've just got the case because the modules kinda suck. I'm not really interested in Cellz because I would much rather trigger from Ableton/Push and Chipz has turned out to be really noisy, though it does come with two VCO's and two LFO's (one is half the speed of the other), so it has been quite useful.

Other than that, it is the best bang-for-buck introduction to Eurorack that I've seen, and I'm happy with my purchase. I still have Chipz and Cellz in my case right now because I don't exactly have a lot of extra cash lying around, what with the apocalypse and all, but I will eventually replace both of them.
When you're ready, holla, I could use a used Cellz.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
When you're ready, holla, I could use a used Cellz.
They're fun. Not quite as user-friendly as it looks (you have to hold down the cell being altered and the corresponding tune knob before changing the CV for that cell), but with some creative clocking, you can land on some weird meandering patterns.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
They're fun. Not quite as user-friendly as it looks (you have to hold down the cell being altered and the corresponding tune knob before changing the CV for that cell), but with some creative clocking, you can land on some weird meandering patterns.
Does the second CV work for you?

I just got my Cellz today and I could use tune knob 1 for a wide range of pitches, but knob 2 produced always a very high pitched sound.

When I did my test I connected both CV out alternating to the same CV in of an OSC.

Masi
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Does the second CV work for you?

I just got my Cellz today and I could use tune knob 1 for a wide range of pitches, but knob 2 produced always a very high pitched sound.

When I did my test I connected both CV out alternating to the same CV in of an OSC.

Masi
TBH, I haven't used the second output yet.
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEMC View Post
I just got this case and it makes a super annoying high pitch tone.
Got my case today and I heard no noises from it. But I put in besides Cellz and Chipz only utility modules with low power consumption.

Chipz OTOH makes some kind of high pitch crackling noises when it comes to purer sounds like sines and triangles. I can LP them and with buzzier sounds you cannot hear them anyway as they are rather low in volume.

A bit of a nuisance. Guess I have to file it under dirty digital.

Masi
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
TBH, I haven't used the second output yet.
Found a customer review which explained that in quantized mode the two CVs are 2V or 2 octaves apart.

I can only agree with this reviewer that a normal, boring manual would really be helpful.

Masi
Old 23rd April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Chipz OTOH makes some kind of high pitch crackling noises when it comes to purer sounds like sines and triangles.
It's doing what it's supposed to in that regard. It's supposed to be for chiptune type sounds.

I'm pretty sure Cre8Audio has something to do with Twisted Electrons since they both have an identical module in Cellz and Twisted Electrons loves to play with old computer synthesizer engines.
Old 24th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Cre8Audio has something to do with Twisted Electrons since they both have an identical module in Cellz and Twisted Electrons loves to play with old computer synthesizer engines.
Cellz isn't to be found on the HP of TE (any more?). But the typeface of some devices especially those with the didgit 8 in the name looks very much like cre8audio.

Anyway, I bought the modules only as an add-on to the case so I don't mind. Even if I don't use the OSCs I got an LFO with a (fixed) divider.

Masi
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Addict

Is it possible to get cv and gate 1 and 2 to send the same thing?
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporalMix View Post
Is it possible to get cv and gate 1 and 2 to send the same thing?
Not without sending the same notes on both MIDI channels 1 and 2.

Month ago they told me in a PM that they were working on updates for the firmware of all components. I suggested configurable MIDI channels, but I haven't heard of any progress in this matter.

Masi
Old 13th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Month ago they told me in a PM that they were working on updates for the firmware of all components. I suggested configurable MIDI channels, but I haven't heard of any progress in this matter.
With the ‘Big Ears’ they are releasing to mount two NiftyCase’s together, they have to have configurable MiDI channels otherwise that set up is pointless with two MIDI-CV converters doing the same task.
Old 14th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_6026 View Post
With the ‘Big Ears’ they are releasing to mount two NiftyCase’s together, they have to have configurable MiDI channels otherwise that set up is pointless with two MIDI-CV converters doing the same task.
True.

BTW, my case started to change the MIDI channel on its own in my last session. It stopped responding until I changed the channel on the sender side from 1 to 3. Turning the case on/off made it respond to channel 1 again.

Masi
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear