The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
those Noise Engineering digital Oscillators
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

those Noise Engineering digital Oscillators

They're my new jam.

(don't tell my Analog gear)

Litterally based on some sounds I heard in one of the videos @ Derp posted in the music thread I set out to revisit some digital Oscillators, for that razor-y Terminator-y sounds to add to my modular palette that's wholly Analog at this point, so I re-read comments here and and at MW and wound up at Noise Engineering (not surprising, really).

In the last few days I've binged every YT vid I could find, and re-read through their descriptions and their own FAQs about which one to choose, and I'm sold, have to have one, maybe two (plus a BIA). I'm strongly leaning in this direction, for those sounds. While there's a fair amount of overlap between these three, I'll dedicate the BIA for percussion, and the other two give me some redundancy plus a little dash of variety for melodic roles:

Basimilus Iteritas Alter
Loquelic Iteritas
Ataraxic Iteritas

I know @ Derp has at least one of these. .Anyone else have any of these three? Still love it? Any issues? Favorite modulation sources/tips?

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a Basimilus and a Loquelic and am thinking about a Cursus or even a second Loquelic. They are awesome oscillators.

My BIA does kicks and sometimes other percussion but I use it far more as a standard all in one voice. I never really worked out how to use it for a full drum kit with modulation as the modulation always hit after the trigger. I tried slews and modulating with other triggers with some success but I much prefer it for quirky triggered synth stabs though a delay where I can slowly evolve the sound through modulation. It’s a great addition but YMMV if it’s aimed purely at percussion. Plenty of people do incredible percussion with it (Baseck, or however you spell him, etc.) but I just couldn’t get it to work right, even using all the same modulation as him (Voltage Block, etc.)

The LI though is insanely good and is pretty much my go to VCO. You can basically do anything with it from soft triangle type sounds to really grimy FM stuff. Especially good for bass but possibly my favourite use for it is creating drones through a massive reverb and pitch in the middle of A and B, slowly modulating ‘Morph’ and ‘Fold’ with LFO’s and occasionally firing random blasts of modulation at ‘Modulate’ and ‘Damp’.

You can’t go wrong with any of them and don’t listen to people who claim you can only get gnarly sounds out of them, there’s plenty of calmer sweet spots available.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Awesome, thanks for all that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yo, I had about 15 minutes spare before bed time so quickly threw an example of that Loquelic drone type stuff together. Literally spent 5 minutes patching it up, 5 minutes doing a basic drum / bass pattern and recorded it so don't expect much but it'll give you an idea at least.

It's just modulated LI through a Feedback 106 Chorus, Xaoc Belgrad and ITB reverb.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've got a bunch of Noise Engineering, but out of the ones on your list, I only have the LI, but BIA is on my list. I've got the original Ataraxic Translatron, but my understanding is that the new version is so different that it's not even the same concept anymore. It took a while to warm up to them because I hate their naming convention, but once you get past that, it's industrial heaven. Everything screams industrial with them from the sequencers to the noise generators. By that, I mean that you're not going to get anything polite out of the LI. It's grungy and angry as hell. Same with Manis Iteritas. I got that one because Blush Response uses the shiz out of it. That thing is just a hate machine. If somebody told me to pick one manufacturer and make an industrial rig, I'd have two rows of Noise Engineering.
Old 4 weeks ago
BIA is great, and really liking the Manis Iteritas too
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I did a demo for the 5U version of Cursus recently:
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've got BIA here. Adore it.

In fact, it was more of a hats/percussion module, but I'm finding it great at snappy kicks.

The tone can be harsh, but it takes modulation so well.

Techno hats and thwack are its forte, but overall it just has a massive range of sounds.

I've not managed to use it as a full kit either, so I generally create rhythmic dynamic hats by using PNW as a modulation source.

Highly recommend it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
I did a demo for the 5U version of Cursus recently:
I like those sounds in there...

And it's very cool to see some eurorack variety making it into the 5U world.
Old 3 weeks ago
RiF
Lives for gear

I am on the fence of getting a more voice-type Noise Engineering oscillator, but cannot decide yet. Thus I appreciate this thread.

Talking about full-kit-BIA percussion, my BIA is pretty much glued to my Korg SQ-1 sequencer in polyrhythmic 8x8 mode where the gate out hits the trigger and the CV outs go into various modulation inputs to change the sound on each note. This gets me a full kick/snare/hats type of (industrial) kit within seconds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like them... but wouldn't want them to be my primary sound makers.

BIA for instance... bought it twice. First time I had high expectations, and was very disappointed. It has such a very specific sound, and it's VERY digital (harsh) if not tightly controlled. The module was NOT fitting into my patches very well and I sold it.

Years later, I bought it again and love it for what it is... great for metallic sounds, hi hats, digital pings, gritty hits.. I don't think it's bass holds up very well as a kick or lower voice. Especially when you hear it on large concert speakers... it just doesn't do thumping bass very well. Thin. BUT... I love it for what it does well.

Always wanted a Loquelic, and one day will get one. But in general, my needs for harsh digital sources are minimal.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
Always wanted a Loquelic, and one day will get one. But in general, my needs for harsh digital sources are minimal.
Loquelic does harsh, but you can tune it really well too! It's my fave between LIP and BIA although less versatile specifically for percussion. Like BIA it won't sound fat, but possibly better for bass imo.

If it sounds like I'm trying to sway you.. it's because I am and it's great!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These comments are great.

Luckily the comments don't drive me away, as:

* the NE Oscs won't be my only sound sources
* they're only meant to add-to muh fat analog
* their particular character is why I want them

So it's great.. They make those sounds, got it, they're best when not the sole sound type, word, and their sound is all Termiator-ish / metallic, ok.

Perfect, for me.

The hard part is picking.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I am on the fence of getting a more voice-type Noise Engineering oscillator, but cannot decide yet. Thus I appreciate this thread.

Talking about full-kit-BIA percussion, my BIA is pretty much glued to my Korg SQ-1 sequencer in polyrhythmic 8x8 mode where the gate out hits the trigger and the CV outs go into various modulation inputs to change the sound on each note. This gets me a full kick/snare/hats type of (industrial) kit within seconds.
I may have to try this with the BSP.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How's the Basimilus Iteritas (mkI, non-Alter...)?

They're cheap, by comparison.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This week I'm making myself pick one between a used Basimilus Iteritas (pre-Alter) and a used
Loquelic Iteritas, either of which will cost ~$250.

$250 seems like a good way to get my feet wet with these Digital Oscillator modules from them. Pretty cheap, really. I'm pretty sure I'll like it a lot, but the risk is low in any case.

I'm leaning toward the Loquelic because of the dual Oscillators with separate Pitch CV INs, but they both make cool noises so it's hard to F up. Plus, I suspect I'll eventually own a few.

Anyway. That's where I am on these. I will probably have one in hand in the next couple of weeks. Lots of boxes coming and going lately. That STG Post-Lawsuit VCF and the WMD dual DVCA are due tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to percussive fun out of that Arp filter, the clickless DVCAs, and my PEG doing it's thing to the VCA. The other side of the WMD DVCA is for my Befaco Burst, which gets its own Branches this week.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I'd go LI as well. I thought about getting BI because like you said, they're super cheap, but there's enough new stuff in the Alter that's made me hold out for BIA.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There might be something in this demo I just posted that could be of interest? I know it's kind of long . . . . .

Exploring The Basimilus Iteritas Magnus (plus Manis)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search