The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Converting GATE/CV to audible pulse
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Converting GATE/CV to audible pulse

Hello,
I need to convert GATE or/and CV to audible pulse 440 Hz, for example, while gate is open. And I would like to do that without any external power supply - so ready made modules are not an option. GATE levels in my case are available as 5V or 12V.
On the net I found the following diagram
http://www.frocenter.com/wp-content/...5/12/NE555.png
but either I did something wrong or this doesn't work - I'm getting same spikes/clicks when GATE is opening or closing either directly from GATE either through this schematic.
Can anyone help with this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

CV/Gate are signals being transmitted to analog devices. Clicking on the gates is normal since it's essentially a pulse wave being opened and shut. CV is just a constant voltage for the duration of the notes, so not enough information to generate an audible waveform.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You need a large capacitor between the positive and negative rail for this not to click, since gate is being used for power and you are disruptively turning power on/off with a square edge.. it will click!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

It'll click anyway - that's what turning a signal on or off suddenly means. But you could probably hide most of the click by putting the output through a low-pass filter, and if you really must have no power supply, one or two stages of basic passive RC filtering (resistor in series, capacitor in parallel) would make sense. Something like the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Converting GATE/CV to audible pulse-screenshot_2019-10-08_13-46-32.png  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search