The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Moog System 10
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sort of a "Mini-Modular". Fixed filter bank is certainly interesting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Nice, but I'd rather buy two COTK Model 15s and pick them up myself and stay 2 weeks in Portugal for the same amount of money.
But that's just me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I already started a thread in the modular section.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not something I'm in the market for. But cheers to the guys who are.

With that said, it's $9,950. 10k would just be exorbitant.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Or for that you could get a Novation Summit, a Prophet 6, a Nord Lead, a Moog Matriarch and a Matrixbrute.^^ At least I would take those 5 instead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Or get a Mos Lab Model 10 for 4000 Euros: https://www.mos-lab.com/systems
Old 4 weeks ago
Or 150 monotrons lol.

More seriously, this isn't much more than I pin electronics vcs3 synthi clone that is at the top of my synth GAS list.

The argument I have against this Moog is I have so much Moog already. And a lot of VCS3 orientated music I like while not much on the Model 10 - early ELP ?

The argument for it in my case is its in the USA and no funky VAT etc. 50 lbs!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I will unashamedly post this every opportunity I get ....

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I wish Moog would just stop f**king around and join the Eurorack revolution already. Sure, they'll be more expensive than other manufacturers because of the name, but lots of Moog fans would be happy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I wish Moog would just stop f**king around and join the Eurorack revolution already. Sure, they'll be more expensive than other manufacturers because of the name, but lots of Moog fans would be happy.
Getting a few Aion modules is very tempting to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Getting a few Aion modules is very tempting to me.
I'm still kicking myself for selling my Dot Com system.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm still kicking myself for selling my Dot Com system.
Oh, I am sure you do.

Everytime I play with the Model 15 app on my wife's ipad I ask myself why I don't own this thing in real life.
Then I remember my money saving habits and know why.
Old 4 weeks ago
<threads merged >
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Where is the innovation? Why are they just making clones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Want is high, bank balance low.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Where is the innovation? Why are they just making clones?
It actually takes a high level of innovation and thinking OTB team work just to setup an old school synth production line in a modern synth production environment. Fortunately for us, Moog excels at this because they keep meticulous records of Bob's original creations and they continue these artisan / mentoring traditions by continually training generations of engineers and craftsman.

I think Moog deserves kudos for taking such financial risks (with very limited volume potential) to keep their original design's alive and functioning (and even relevant) for new generations. This applies to both the builders and the users/musician's/producers. It seems more a labor of love, to me, ymmv.

You want something new and with a high level of modern innovations... get a One.

These System synths are meticulously designed and made, craftsman-level musical instruments, whether one accepts that... or not - just to make yet another a silly Moog troll post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is so awesome that they are making these again. It would be such a thrill to have it, if for no other reason than its massive historical significance.

Maybe in a few months...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

that thing looks sexy as hell

I think it's good they are rebuilding all the legendary 5U systems. It appeals to a lot of people. Contrast that with what Roland is doing, for example. If Roland reissued all their cool heritage stuff, people would go nuts

as for innovation: check out the ONE, and the Grandmother/Matriarch

it appears they are building sequencers too?

oh, I guess for the system 55
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
I think Moog deserves kudos for taking such financial risks (with very limited volume potential) to keep their original design's alive and functioning (and even relevant) for new generations.
It's not "their" design however. Bob Moog sold Moog in the early 1970s to Norlin Musical Instruments (now a part of Gibson) and moved to Buffalo New York. Then in 1977 he sold off his remaining interest in the company including all the Intellectual Property which of course would include all the designs for this and other synths from this time period.

Years later Bob moved to North Carolina and founded a brand new company. He couldn't call it Moog because he sold the name and all the IP so he called it Big Briar. Years after that he was able to buy the rights to use the "Moog" name again but not the IP. That IP is now of course in the Public Domain so anyone can clone it including the current company doing business as Moog.

I am happy Moog North Carlolina, Behringer, Studio Electronics, Roland, Synthesizers Dot Com, and many other companies are keeping these old designs alive and relevent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
It's not "their" design...
Give it a rest already grasspike.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Give it a rest already grasspike.
Guess the truth hurts.

Of course you know I am right. Bob Moog sold that design to Norlin Musical Instruments decades ago. Meaning he didn't own it anymore when he started Big Briar. So it's impossible for it to be "their" design when it wasn't owned by Bob anymore.

The new company is simply doing what Behringer, Studio Electronics, Roland, Synthesizers Dot Com, and many others have done.

They are cloning the former IP of Norlin Musical Instruments (now part of Gibson) that is now in the Public Domain.

Bob Moog himself has passed away, and currently there is no one in Ashville who had anything to do with the System 10 in Upstate New York with the old company.

To claim it's "their design" is simply not true. Even if you wish it were true.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I will unashamedly post this every opportunity I get ....

Blows away "Switched On Bach" ...but I like Debussy better anyways, so there's that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Want is high, bank balance low.
That would be a hilarious fortune in a fortune cookie.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
Or for that you could get a Novation Summit, a Prophet 6, a Nord Lead, a Moog Matriarch and a Matrixbrute.^^ At least I would take those 5 instead.
I just thought about owning that line up and...I think it moved.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

These quibbles are draining to read.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Nice, but I'd rather buy two COTK Model 15s and pick them up myself and stay 2 weeks in Portugal for the same amount of money.
But that's just me.
or two weeks in Spain:

Old 4 weeks ago
< let’s talk about the modules in it and why, how that works? The price and IP has been discussed before. Let’s make this thread a worthwhile read? >
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
Blows away "Switched On Bach" ...but I like Debussy better anyways, so there's that.
When you realise how much work it must have took, and how much musical sense would be needed to interpret Debussy that well, it's just breathtaking. And since I was a kid the core tones have stuck with me as the way a true and pure synthesizer should sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search