The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
(VCV Rack fork) miRack is coming to iOS
Old 12th September 2019
(VCV Rack fork) miRack is coming to iOS

http://mifki.com/blog/mirack-is-coming-to-ios/

I wonder if this and the iPad will support connection to a DC-coupled audio interface.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Nut

Wow, this looks fantastic. Definitely will be keeping an eye out
Old 15th September 2019
I've just found out that CV output from iPad has already been proven possible using the zMors Modular app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zMors
App is tested with external hardware:
  • app is tested ok with Expert Sleepers ES-8
  • app is tested ok with AudioDamage Odio
  • app is tested ok with Endorphin.es - Shuttle Control
  • app is tested ok with Scarlett 18i20 and Expert Sleepers ES3
  • app is tested ok with RME Babyface and Expert Sleepers ES3
  • app is tested ok with MiniDSP USB Streamer Box and Expert Sleepers ES3/ES6
Here's to hoping that miRack will support an appropriate output module to interface with the same hardware.
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander mogue View Post
Here's to hoping that miRack will support an appropriate output module to interface with the same hardware.
This + modules like Recorder + decent performance and I'll get myself an ipad.
Old 15th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
decent performance
The developer has apparently done some significant optimization since forking from the VCV code base, as he was originally targeting the Raspberry Pi, ASUS Tinker Board, and similar hardware. This is a screenshot from a test he did using a 6th gen (2018) iPad, and it looks solid. That's one decently sized patch duplicated twice and still only using 75% CPU. Actual performance will depend on the modules used, of course, but it seems promising.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

I saw the youtube video, looks promising.
I guess an ipad pro should be powerful enough for even bigger patches.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

I wonder if it will be possible to update existing modules or to add new ones or to login with your account in order to use the paid modules.
Apple's Appstore is rather restrictive.
Old 16th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I wonder if it will be possible to update existing modules or to add new ones or to login with your account in order to use the paid modules.
Apple's Appstore is rather restrictive.
No VCV account sync, and all modules will have to be bundled with the app itself. Only open source modules will be available at first, but bundling of closed-source modules might happen eventually and maybe even in-app purchases for commercial modules:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifki
Hello everyone, miRack developer is here to answer some of your questions and concerns.

1. Licences, etc. First thing I want to make it clear that miRack is a separate project, it was forked from VCV Rack in around January 2018 and initially was being developed for SBCs like Raspberry Pi. VCV Rack was BSD-licensed back then with the exception of component and some module graphics - all that has been redone as required. The Rack code itself has been almost fully rewritten to add multithreaded audio processing (which VCV Rack didn't have back then) and to fix horrible UI performance and CPU usage.

Please do not call this "VCV Rack for iOS" because it's not affiliated with VCV, not allowed to use VCV name and just happens to use the same API and therefore module packs.

This should also answer the question about syncing with VCV accounts - nope.

Open-source modules are and will be included first, then if everything goes well, I can discuss with authors of proprietary modules the possibilities to make them available on iOS. Yes, all the modules must be bundled with the app due to the inability to load additional executables on iOS.

2. Because of 1., miRack uses the same file format internally and should be able to open VCV Rack 0.6 files. Although this is not very useful at the moment because there will most likely be a lot of missing modules.

3. In the latest beta sent to the testers, I added MIDI input and background audio support. So this will be available in the first version.

When talking about AUv3 and AudioBus, my main concern is the performance. Many VCV Rack modules are being developed to accurately simulate real hardware and are quite CPU-intensive. I'd say miRack CPU usage is higher than other audio processing apps developed specifically for mobile devices from scratch. Of course it depends solely on the size of the patch and specific modules it contains so it's up to the user. But when miRack is the only app running, I know what to expect in terms of available resources, for example I can implement CPU metering to advise users how much of the available CPU their patch is using. If I allow miRack to run inside other apps, I'm afraid I may start getting complaints about poor performance, so I'd prefer not to do that until I do more tests and understand what modules/patch sizes people are having in mobile environment and what other audio processing they're interested in running alongside miRack.
Source
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander mogue View Post
No VCV account sync, and all modules will have to be bundled with the app itself. Only open source modules will be available at first, but bundling of closed-source modules might happen eventually and maybe even in-app purchases for commercial modules:

Source
Thanks! Reading the thread on audiobus is revealing.
Old 17th September 2019
The developer has finalized version 1.0 and shared which modules it will ship with. Multichannel audio output won’t be in the first version, but it’s in development:

Quote:
Module packs (with number of modules): Audible Instruments (16), Autodafe (2), Autodafe Drums (2), Befaco (7), Bogaudio (70), cf (23), Stochasm (1), ESeries (1), Frozen Wasteland (17), Fundamental (18), Impromptu Modular (15), JW (14), Koralfx (7), Mental (25), mscHack (25), MSM (8), Squinky Labs (15), SynthKit (13).

VCV Rack users should be familiar with all of these module packs, others can follow the links to see what they contain.

Core MIDI input and background audio. You can connect a hardware MIDI controller or another iOS app. MIDI works the Eurorack way - instead of assigning MIDI controls directly to knobs and sliders, you use one of the MIDI input modules and wire it to CV inputs of other modules.

What to expect in the first updates (bug fixes take precedence of course):

More modules. The modules listed above is just the first batch

Multitouch support. Currently you can simultaneously operate only one on-screen module control.

Audio recording module / IAA / Audio Bus support. This is the most requested feature and I'm investigating the possibilities of getting audio out of miRack without compromising its performance.

Multichannel audio output. Currently only stereo output is available but adding more channels is planned and requested for interfacing with Eurorack modules like ES-8.

Known issues:

VU meter doesn't work in Befaco Spring Reverb module.

Bogaudio Analyzer XL module doesn't work in some cases, use non-XL Analyzer module instead.
Old 17th September 2019
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Nut

Working good here so far. Obviously some missing functionality on the inter-app side of things, but that was disclosed beforehand. Very good initial release.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

I'll give it a try soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Working ok with ipad pro. On ios settings make sure the 'display view' 'zoom' is set to standard (otherwise the cables dont work). I can't figure out how to delete a module after its placed in the rack, there are subtle ui differences between vcvrack(which i btw am always using on windows 10) and mirack.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I can't figure out how to delete a module after its placed in the rack
Tap a module with two fingers to bring up its contextual menu.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

New update out with Valley Plateau reverb and CPU monitor, among other goodies.

I’m amazed at how efficient it is, finally a music production app that takes full advantage of all 6 cores on my 2018 iPad Pro. I doubt I have the skill to make a purpose built patch that even comes close to pushing cpu to its limits. the densest demo patch barely tops 17%

On a more frustrating note:
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3...mited-live/p20

I don’t know quite what to think of the drama currently taking place in the VCV community, revolving around one or two devs. I’d love to hear their side of the story, but from what I’ve read of the transcripts, it seems like some bullying and egotism running amok—

Mirack developer seems to be acting in good faith, complying with demands to alter artwork - yet certain people look to be constantly moving goalposts - and/or other(s) backing out on previously agreed terms. Seems dishonest and shady in the extreme to me — but who knows, maybe there’s more to the story than meets the eye.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenEagle View Post
New update out with Valley Plateau reverb and CPU monitor, among other goodies.

I’m amazed at how efficient it is, finally a music production app that takes full advantage of all 6 cores on my 2018 iPad Pro. I doubt I have the skill to make a purpose built patch that even comes close to pushing cpu to its limits. the densest demo patch barely tops 17%

On a more frustrating note:
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3...mited-live/p20

I don’t know quite what to think of the drama currently taking place in the VCV community, revolving around one or two devs. I’d love to hear their side of the story, but from what I’ve read of the transcripts, it seems like some bullying and egotism running amok—

Mirack developer seems to be acting in good faith, complying with demands to alter artwork - yet certain people look to be constantly moving goalposts - and/or other(s) backing out on previously agreed terms. Seems dishonest and shady in the extreme to me — but who knows, maybe there’s more to the story than meets the eye.
IMO, its just petty jealousy.
VCV rack developer openly stated previously that doing an iOS version wasn’t feasible or technically sound. Somebody actually goes and does it, then BS ensues.
The whole thing is crazy, but not surprising given some of the past drama in the modular world.

On a positive note, miRack runs incredibly well on my older ipad. Its uncanny.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I finally tried miRack on my wife's 3 years old iPad too. I am really digging it so far and it works very well.

Regarding drama: VCV's dev is a great dude but maybe should re-think some of his self-imposed borders... miRack proves that VCV can run on iOS perfectly.
I don't understand why he is against touchscreen support... being able to touch VCV Rack is a massive improvement, at least in my book.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search