The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dreadbox Antiphon DIY Kit
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Nut

Dreadbox Antiphon DIY Kit

Site page:

https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/antiphon/

Video:

Let me also point out the funky new eurorack modules they've teased here, you can spot them whenever the whole modular case is shown (bottom row).
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear
Funnily enough was picking around on their site just last week thinking they were sorta overdue on another DIY project... thanks for the heads-up!

On its way!

(165euro + 30 euro Non-EU shipping for the curious)
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Ordered one lastnight £168 all in.

Hope all them other modules below are DIY.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Guru

Hopefully they do a built version or I can buy one off of a builder. I can't be the only one looking at this and thinking "Oh my god, Dreadbox just made an analog 8-operator FM machine," can I?
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Well the kit will arrive on Monday, the only thing that disappoints me is there’s nothing to customise.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Nut

Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

ill probably use the tuner in ableton to tune mine
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just been looking at the Dreadbox build manual and its just dawned on me that they expect you to solder the 11 TL074 op-amps straight to the board.
Ive said this many times on this forum that Dreadbox are so tight, always penny pinching, a 14 pin socket costs $0.05 each from Tayda, unbelievable really.

I simply refuse to solder thru-hole op-amps straight to a board because if they are faulty you'll destroy the board trying to remove them plus theres always the chance you'll damage them whilst soldering due to overheating them.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Mine arrived yesterday, just had time to solder the resistors and diodes, I’ll maybe try and finish it tonight.

I like the boards the solder takes to them well.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

Also ordered one plus the cardboard box to host it. This‘ll be my first DIY/soldering project after maybe 5 years...? Anyway looking forward to it, also it‘s a good excuse to finally buy a proper soldering station (just used a cheap constant-temp soldering iron before haha). The only question now is if I‘ll have time before christmas to build it

...and I‘ve also been researching other modules the last few days, oh oh! I always stayed away from modular before (for time & financial reasons) but damn it‘s all so fascinating
Old 22nd September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Just been looking at the Dreadbox build manual and its just dawned on me that they expect you to solder the 11 TL074 op-amps straight to the board.
Ive said this many times on this forum that Dreadbox are so tight, always penny pinching, a 14 pin socket costs $0.05 each from Tayda, unbelievable really.

I simply refuse to solder thru-hole op-amps straight to a board because if they are faulty you'll destroy the board trying to remove them plus theres always the chance you'll damage them whilst soldering due to overheating them.
That's a good point. There's nothing stopping any DIY-er to solder sockets.
I'd get the ones with the machined copper connectors/legs. (why not go all the way)
Old 25th September 2019
Lives for gear

Completed, just needs calibrating.

Old 26th September 2019
Here for the gear

Completed, spring reverb works, the rest ... not so much.

I hear the 8 sines when I crank up my volume, but it's wrong :-/

Anyone any idea's?
Old 27th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Mayz View Post
Completed, spring reverb works, the rest ... not so much.

I hear the 8 sines when I crank up my volume, but it's wrong :-/

Anyone any idea's?
what do you mean "But its wrong"

Have you tuned it?
Old 27th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Completed, just needs calibrating.

What a lovely picture.
Old 28th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
what do you mean "But its wrong"

Have you tuned it?
Ah. I mean I barely hear the sines. Its very quiet and all noise and static when I put the volume of the unit & my mixer on max.

Something must be wrong with the connections of the voice cards, maybe?

Because the reverb does work on normal levels.

So, any suggestions? Thx!
Old 28th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah. I mean I barely hear the sines. Its very quiet and all noise and static when I put the volume of the unit & my mixer on max.

Something must be wrong with the connections of the voice cards, maybe?

Because the reverb does work on normal levels.

So, any suggestions? Thx!
Ive not even powered mine up yet never mind calibrating it as i'm just too busy however if i had the issues you have i'd

Did you do the 12v test?

Check over every solder joint with a lope.

Check the orientation of every diode.

The troubling thing is the fact its quiet, could that mean an op-amp? as op-amps function is to boost, so check the orientation of your op-amps.

Now this is where the post i did earlier in the thread comes in, if you've build it to the Dreadbox instruction then you've soldered the op-amps to the board, this leaves 3 possible issues, the op-amp is faulty before you'll installed it, the op-amp is damaged during the soldering process or the orientation is wrong either 3 your kinda ****ed if you've soldered them to the board. Hence my complaint that Dreadbox are very tight not providing sockets at $0.05 each. fingers crossed its not an TL074 op-amp as theres a lot of them and your gonna cause a lot of damage to the board trying to remove them.
Old 28th September 2019
Here for the gear

i didn't solder them directly on the pcb. I read your instructions instead so i bought a bunch of these silver-pinned sockets. (Thx for the tip!)

Also. I did the +12/-12 volt test & it was accurate.

Alright. I’ll check the ICs. Fingers crossed!
Old 28th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i didn't solder them directly on the pcb. I read your instructions instead so i bought a bunch of these silver-pinned sockets. (Thx for the tip!)

just got mine plugged in now, send some CV out of another module into the Antiphon pitch and you should hear things ok on the master output (listening from the Antiphon level output below the master slider)
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Check that you soldered the pots properly.

Check that you have correct voltages on all tl074, pin 4 should be +12v and pin 11 should be -12v
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Mine is experiencing the same issue. The main output is just kinda crackly and low, but the individual oscillator outputs all work fine. I can tell also that the reverb gain is working as the spring vibrates. I have spent a lot of time now checking everything, but can’t find my error.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundshaper View Post
Mine is experiencing the same issue. The main output is just kinda crackly and low, but the individual oscillator outputs all work fine. I can tell also that the reverb gain is working as the spring vibrates. I have spent a lot of time now checking everything, but can’t find my error.
Hi!
I' m having the same problem with my antiphon. Have you managed to solve it? Also, the reverb is not working. Actually, if I connect it the wrong way (red to green and green to red) I hear the springs when the pot is all the way down.
Any ideas?

cane creek, I have the antiphon, I used to have the same robot and I' m dreaming of your background goodies... Lovely picture!
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHECS View Post
Hi!
I' m having the same problem with my antiphon. Have you managed to solve it? Also, the reverb is not working. Actually, if I connect it the wrong way (red to green and green to red) I hear the springs when the pot is all the way down.
Any ideas?

cane creek, I have the antiphon, I used to have the same robot and I' m dreaming of your background goodies... Lovely picture!
I haven’t had a chance to look at it again but I’m going to soon. I actually built two of them and the second one works fine.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search