The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
So, I kinda cracked the FX section, except for some minor things.

Findings include:

- FX send bus points prior to FX processor input, i.e. you can tap this point and use it with an external out jack for using an external FX loop (which you could route back into the RD via the external input socket labelled "Return"; including fx send mix (see pic) and the individual switches per instrument (IC 8, 9, and 10)

-dry main mix, potentially nice for some additional direct mix out

-direct filter input point *after* the Wave Designer for feeding external audio in

-direct lopass output of filter

-direct highpass output of filter

-CV points for cutoff and resonance of filter, as well as for the wave designer (which, as I understand so far, is practically a vca driven by some envelope follower prolly comprising ICs 13, 14, 27, 28); cv for filter is bipolar, cv for wavedesigner is negative polarity, i.e. anything below 0v opens it up (distorts fast after -1v)

Sound demos: https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/set...-fx-fx-cv-mods

still need to find a pre wavedesigner in (found a point but that does also feed back into the main mix)

Filter sounds sweet with vco input and wd can do some cool crunch - gotta say that B missed a bit of an opportunity to go sherman here, but diy is your friend

also, parts of the single outs underneath the left ribbon are decoded
Really, really great. That should give you a lot of coffees !
I also wonder why the hell Behringer didn't add these cool patch points. At least they should have gone the route as Korg and add those mod points to their pcb layouts.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Damn, impressive work from Maffez. Thanks for doing all that probing for those of us who don’t know how.

I’ll admit, I had no interest in the RD-8 before. Now I know I’m gonna pick one up someday to mod to death.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Sorry to keep making suggestions and making ya work more but do you have the pics listed on a Instagram or something? GS makes it hard to zoom into the pics.
Old 3 weeks ago
no probba aboout pic & cool you like em, folks!

https://imgur.com/a/Mcwt1d7

if folks like, consider chiping in for a coffe I'm doing this mostly for internet-info-communism, but also comrades need backup if their units blow up (smd is hard to fix): ko-fi.com/maffez
Old 3 weeks ago
@ Zapman - yup, strange. in teh boog they had at least labelled one or two tp's and ground, but nada here;

maybe they will be more playful in the rd9?
Old 3 weeks ago
last one for today

tad of cv to left lug of tom tune pots makes stuff nice and wonky

aaand found way to minimize cymbal decay/ idea for a switch to dynamically change from longer to shorter decay - 56k or lower across R436 (470k, R93 in OG).

wavs attached
Attached Files

MC_tune left lug.wav (11.47 MB, 602 views)

Cymbal min decay.wav (2.28 MB, 599 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
Really, really great. That should give you a lot of coffees !
I also wonder why the hell Behringer didn't add these cool patch points. At least they should have gone the route as Korg and add those mod points to their pcb layouts.
They can add some solderpads to the interesting patch points in future PCB revisions.
Maybe you should ask @ Tester Dave for it in the other thread.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
last one for today

tad of cv to left lug of tom tune pots makes stuff nice and wonky

aaand found way to minimize cymbal decay/ idea for a switch to dynamically change from longer to shorter decay - 56k or lower across R436 (470k, R93 in OG).

wavs attached
Wooow. As i'm not very good at this stuff, how would adding an additional pot to have detailed control of decay here ?
A breakout box with all those mods would surely sell well (or behringer build a monster 908 box with all those mods)
@ Maffez should get at least 3 coffees a day. Cmon everyone, be supportive.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapman View Post
Wooow. As i'm not very good at this stuff, how would adding an additional pot to have detailed control of decay here ?
A breakout box with all those mods would surely sell well (or behringer build a monster 908 box with all those mods)
@ Maffez should get at least 3 coffees a day. Cmon everyone, be supportive.
yup, you could also have a pot rather than a switch for cymbal decay length (details on this later)

breakoutbox in principle yes, but this would require folks to solder cables to smd parts; maybe some modded units will come at one point, as you could implement most jacks and pots on the rd itself

you're a generous guy and supportive, i know that
Old 3 weeks ago
Here's a bit with two BD mods (more pitch env & longer decay) attached as wav - getting a tad closer to the bouncy thing the OG has

also, a musically less versatile demo of a couple of mods in unison: first bd pitch env is introduced, then bd through wavedesigner, cymbal per vca introduced, then two modded toms. internal sequencer/midi were not used. all recorded through main out in single pass

Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications-hooked.jpg  
Attached Files

bouncemod.wav (4.38 MB, 533 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
High Rim volume could also be fixed by replacing R424 (220k) with something higher (wiring lower side to ground with some 40-100ohm in between - need to check that last one tho) - i suggest increase Clave to match Rim level and then dial the whole thing back a bit with the volume pot
Hey there Maffez, the rimshot seems to clip when applied accent to - at least in my unit. could a fix like you suggested above solve this problem?

Big ups for your work, I will definitely consider some of these, especially the ext filter in!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausi View Post
Hey there Maffez, the rimshot seems to clip when applied accent to - at least in my unit. could a fix like you suggested above solve this problem?

Big ups for your work, I will definitely consider some of these, especially the ext filter in!
potentially yes, your description in the main thread reads at least like it & reduction here is before final volume stage; can check in mine about clipping soon
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
potentially yes, your description in the main thread reads at least like it & reduction here is before final volume stage; can check in mine about clipping soon
Thank you. Another user pointed out to me that the rimshot behavior is likely intentional, so It might be an "nvm situation" after all. Though I do find the accented rim to sound rather unpleasant.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausi View Post
Thank you. Another user pointed out to me that the rimshot behavior is likely intentional, so It might be an "nvm situation" after all. Though I do find the accented rim to sound rather unpleasant.
rim is/looks good on my (except that it's loud), also just saw the fix didn't work, so need to scrape that - anyways have fun with the rd!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi, just a little side note - in your last picture i've seen you are using male duponts to connect to the patch points.
Maybe it's better using female duponts to prevent shorts, especially if you add even more wires.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasch View Post
Hi, just a little side note - in your last picture i've seen you are using male duponts to connect to the patch points.
Maybe it's better using female duponts to prevent shorts, especially if you add even more wires.
thanks for the tip, and yes, thought so too but only had males.. :( thankfully short enough to stand up, but won't keep it long that way for sure!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Thomasch that's a great point
Thanks for tip.
all the puns

I pitched the idea to Maffez but is anyone interested in YouTube/stream/modClub?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
@ Thomasch that's a great point
Thanks for tip.
all the puns

I pitched the idea to Maffez but is anyone interested in YouTube/stream/modClub?
Nice idea
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post

Nice idea! Answered your PM. @ Bignatius , this could also be up your alley?

I'm happy to have a mod club/solder alliance and this being open source. Also, quite chuffed about all the positive responses, so yup, get them solder irons and youtube streams ready.

Might mod some units for folks in Europe in a bit, but atm no products are planned.

These mods are fun for me and meant to further the spirit of DIY and open knowledge (most of what I do here was learned from webpages and modding fora, so that seems a nice way of giving back).

Only thing is do us a favour and credit per name where credit is due & should anyone go commercial, be in touch.
Old 3 weeks ago
tinkered a bit with fx/filter in and cv

most useable cv values I still need to find, but so far i discovered that amp (of the WD) and cutoff is negative voltage, reso is positive

in the synth examples below if fed vco out from my dominion1 into the rd filter and adjusted envelope outs to cutoff (& later amp) with a vermona quadropol, so you can play the thing like a synthesizer quite tasty resonance going on there

although putting the wave designer after the filter might be too much hassle, you can pseudo-synthesize by putting an adsr to amp also, which then determines how much sinal goes into the filter (i-e- pre-filter vca, as found on the korg njm2069 chip)

hope behringer will have the brains to implement filter & cv input in the rd9

last example is a lill jam with a drumloop and some rd8 instruments through te fx unit (modulated per cv)

Old 3 weeks ago
quick follow-up on the fx buss

so, fx in pre wave designer is possible, not only just filter in, but works a bit weirdly

in the pic you see IC8-10, which are switches, closing the internal connections marked by me with a white switch POINT A, for instance, is input from closed hi hat, POINT B the output, when switched on

now, you can feed external audio in to any point A, which is put through dry mix and when respective instrument send to fx is activated to fx buss - usable as an external audio in that can go through fx only but you'd send that respective instrument too (so maybe pick one, you'd use less through fx?)

if you connect external audio in to any POINT B, you'd think ha, post switch, so this only goes through fx, except it does not - feeds through main mix and fx with the additional weirdness that when the respective instrument send button is off, you have highpass filter when lowpass is activated and vice versa until you activate that instrument send button again (make sense-ish?)

so, that's just a guess but I think (bearing in mind that the mono main output is phase inverted), that the buss selection is eventually done by some phase inversion trick? logically a switching between two busses would need a two-pole switch, but the coolaudio v411 used here are quad-spst (simple on/off switches), so I assume in order to achieve "FX on = Dry Buss off", some part of that signal leaving POINT B is phase inverted and mixed back to main, which would explain the filter weirdnes too (will need to check signal phase on those switches at one point maybe)

long story short, unless some cutting and implementation of manual switches is desired, best way of having an pre-fx audio in that actually passes through teh wave designer and filter, check for any of those POINT A's and then switch that fx on/off through the according instrument send
Old 3 weeks ago
aaand positive polarity CV points for WD amp, filter cutoff, and filter resonance found

Cutoff - bottom R12 or C17 (send cv through diode, then you can controll cutoff per poti and positive cv is added to that)
Reso - R131 bottom (same as with cutoff, diode will retain poti functionality (although bottom of R16, also pos, gives beefier reso overall)
AMP - R261 bottom (if attack and sustain pots are fully left, signal is quiet enough to use amp with cv envelopes)

looks all, in a revised version like this

and if you insist on turning the rd into some gabber machine, play with amp cv and the sustain knob - musically horrid example of BD processing attached
Attached Files

RD8 goes gabber schmabber.wav (7.81 MB, 493 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Such good work... way to be.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Behringer RD-8 ISSUE HUM / NOISE ON CONGAS

Check out a test on the RD-8 with a massive HUM / NOISE ISSUE ON THE CONGAS! Recorded with a RME UFX++ and Wavelab. USE HEADPHONES! Comments below please!!! If you like that vid, thumbs up ;-) What do you say RD-8 owners?

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMasterBlaster View Post
Check out a test on the RD-8 with a massive HUM / NOISE ISSUE ON THE CONGAS! Recorded with a RME UFX++ and Wavelab. USE HEADPHONES! Comments below please!!! If you like that vid, thumbs up ;-) What do you say RD-8 owners?

i'd say contact tech support & maybe take off the vid from here since you already posted in the main thread; this is a thread about modding, as the title says

please think about using less exclamation marks also?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here's a bit with two BD mods (more pitch env & longer decay) attached as wav - getting a tad closer to the bouncy thing the OG has

also, a musically less versatile demo of a couple of mods in unison: first bd pitch env is introduced, then bd through wavedesigner, cymbal per vca introduced, then two modded toms. internal sequencer/midi were not used. all recorded through main out in single pass

Great work!

Seems to start to baby growl a little bit yes still shy, still much more consistent than the OG.
Comparing earlier recordings of the RD to the OG BD... The RD seems to really focus on the attack portion. Waves look way different as well.

I really wonder what makes the RD BD sound and behave so different if its circuit is basically 1:1 OG.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
Great work!

Seems to start to baby growl a little bit yes still shy, still much more consistent than the OG.
Comparing earlier recordings of the RD to the OG BD... The RD seems to really focus on the attack portion. Waves look way different as well.

I really wonder what makes the RD BD sound and behave so different if its circuit is basically 1:1 OG.
yeah, attack is more consistent on the rd. sure there must be differences between individual 808s too

mulling a bit over that paper linked below and probing around a tad more, I just think it's part tolerances and possibly some inconsistencies around r159 (that's where the attack env and the retrigger hit the t-bridge. when fiddling with that part in the rd i found quite some differences between accent/no accent, yet in the end didn't want to ocd over it - don't have a very emotional bond to OG as the closest i came to one ever was the guitar teacher of a friend who used an 808 as a metronome long ago so i rathger consider the rd8 version as a sound generator that adds to my palette and a circuit that can be played with

https://pure.qub.ac.uk/portal/en/pub...8eddc28b).html
Old 3 weeks ago
and some progress on mod implementations - still need fine-tuning and testing tho
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications-dscn4149.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
and some progress on mod implementations - still need fine-tuning and testing tho
Awesome stuff Maffez!
Old 3 weeks ago
playing a bit more with the hexinverter giving the soundsource for cb and cy/hh - no proper downtuning, tuning but some cool variations are possible, and you can get it a bit higher too, (@ tedmanzie)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search