All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
I got 5 on it.
Me, too.

As an aside, I love how it's obvious they rented or borrowed that swanky house for the famous video.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Awesome!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Maffez when you said the trigger ins respond to voltage are there two zones (normal and accented) or is it continuous?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
@ Maffez when you said the trigger ins respond to voltage are there two zones (normal and accented) or is it continuous?
Continuous

First example 2 bars bd with accent full tilt on 2 and 4, then 6 bars with trg cv from ca 3v (that where the kick triggers) to 5v

Second example Snare crescendo and simultaneously kick decrescendo

I think more voltage is possible, but had no means to check this.

Roland Service Notes page 4 mentions "trig pulses of approx. 4-14 volts" (4 normal trig and 5-14 with accent added), so in my understanding, if your trigger device can pull this, you can safely yank up to 10 volts into that circuit, obtaining quite an impressive dynamic range *per* instrument

Last edited by Maffez; 4 weeks ago at 06:06 PM.. Reason: corrections
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great work.
Old 4 weeks ago
so, a couple of folks kindly suggested that i should do some crowdfunding thing, and here we go, i thought a ko-fi thing might be okay

super stoked about the good responses here and the number of people interested, yet stuff now and then breaks when modding, so maybe if you'd like to support me being able to get a replacement unit, do feel free to check: https://ko-fi.com/maffez

hope that's fine with everyone & stay tuned for more (crazier) things to come
Old 4 weeks ago
Here's one for the folks who dislike the low Clave volume

https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/cl-louder-mod56k

Just 56k-100k across R422 (OG R319)

High Rim volume could also be fixed by but i suggest increase Clave to match Rim level and then dial the whole thing back a bit with the volume pot
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications-rs_cl.jpg  

Last edited by Maffez; 4 weeks ago at 09:10 PM.. Reason: corrections
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maffez View Post
Holy guar gum,

had an intense session and hit some Trigger in and CV gold.

@ praiseallah , TRIG in for all instruments is entire possible, all responding to level differences, i.e. accent per track is also possible.

Results are not yet consistent as regards interplay with internal sequencer and midi (some trig in points deactivate the latter), but totally nondestructive trig in points and cv for the vcas of cowbell, hat, snare etc. is doable.

here are some audio examples, all triggered/gated/cv'd with *one* single cv signal (through an expert sleepers)

Triggers and VCA mods for CB, Cymbal and Hats:

Trig & Gate/CV Mod for Snare and Clap

and, as a chery on top, some wonky fun with the T-Bridge networks of Kickdrum and Toms/Congas

Well, back to dayjob tomorrow, so stuff might slow down a bit, but prelim documentation of mod points will come through soon, and maybe really some gofundme thing to have a spare unit in case parts of this one go blip
POST OF THE YEAR

thanks

ps: do you suppose one could make looping samples out of the dronable sounds and later reshape with env for simulating the response with a sampler?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
POST OF THE YEAR

thanks

ps: do you suppose one could make looping samples out of the dronable sounds and later reshape with env for simulating the response with a sampler?
ha, fanx!

not sure what you mean exactly, but as for cymbal sounds, yes, you can sample the source square wave mix or just the output of them and then use as source in sampler

the t-bridge sounds (toms, kick etc) are a bit tougher to transfer since they consist of more components (attack transient, noise element etc) - but you can do crazy stuff like this one here. low conga triggered by sawooth vco from my modular : https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/con...hringe-rd8-mod
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
so, a couple of folks kindly suggested that i should do some crowdfunding thing, and here we go, i thought a ko-fi thing might be okay

super stoked about the good responses here and the number of people interested, yet stuff now and then breaks when modding, so maybe if you'd like to support me being able to get a replacement unit, do feel free to check: https://ko-fi.com/maffez

hope that's fine with everyone & stay tuned for more (crazier) things to come
"Funding Secured"

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
"Funding Secured"

thanks, man - you're in the book as first supporter!
Old 4 weeks ago
Another day, another mod

If you like your cymbal and hi hats a tad grittier, here's an easy one:

Take some noise from C214 bottom and connect to A10k-25K potentiometer (ground of that potentiometer remains unconnected), the middle lug of which goes to bottom of C258. By fading some noise into the source signal you obtain a tad (or quite a bit) more sizzle and phasing for the cymbal and the hats.

BTW the other way round (feeding the cymbal source signal into clap or snare) does not sound compelling in any way
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Continuous

First example 2 bars bd with accent full tilt on 2 and 4, then 6 bars with trg cv from ca 3v (that where the kick triggers) to 5v

Second example Snare crescendo and simultaneously kick decrescendo

I think more voltage is possible, but had no means to check this.

Roland Service Notes page 4 mentions "trig pulses of approx. 4-14 volts" (4 normal trig and 5-14 with accent added), so in my understanding, if your trigger device can pull this, you can safely yank up to 10 volts into that circuit, obtaining quite an impressive dynamic range *per* instrument
Hi Maffez, nice work.
Is there a way to get full velocity response via MIDI too?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasch View Post
Hi Maffez, nice work.
Is there a way to get full velocity response via MIDI too?
Hey Thomasch and welcome to gs

that'd be a matter of the microprocesor, I think, i.e. something we'd need to ask Behringer; there are retrofit solutions for the 808, like the CHD TR808-M, which are fully velocity sensitive and might just work for the RD as well.

will also need to check how ac voltage works, i.e. short samples, so one could misuse a drumcomputer or an mpc/sampler
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey Thomasch and welcome to gs

that'd be a matter of the microprocesor, I think, i.e. something we'd need to ask Behringer; there are retrofit solutions for the 808, like the CHD TR808-M, which are fully velocity sensitive and might just work for the RD as well.

will also need to check how ac voltage works, i.e. short samples, so one could misuse a drumcomputer or an mpc/sampler
How is that trigger pulse created? Is it generated by the uC or is some external circuitry involved?
What type of uC did they use for the RD-8?
Do you think it might be possible to get dynamic velocity via MIDI wit a simple Firmware update?
Or is this out of the ballpark and needs to be adressed with a hardware mod like a second MIDI interface like the TR808-M?

best regards
Thomasch
Old 4 weeks ago
trig's done by the uc as far as i can see, just checked abit there because those pins are tiny - had bd track running and found som epulse from upper row of microcontroller, so yup, i assume this coul dbe done by firmware (at least velocity up to 5v, accent is global and fed from cpu to all instrument circuits, as in the og)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This thread owns.

How easy is/isn't it to install (wide) tuning and decay controls for all the voices that don't have them?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

What type of uC do they use?
Or did they removed the printed label on the uC to hide what type it is?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
What type of uC do they use?
Or did they removed the printed label on the uC to hide what type it is?
arrrrmmmm (see pic)
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications-ic36.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_cochrane View Post
This thread owns.

How easy is/isn't it to install (wide) tuning and decay controls for all the voices that don't have them?

check the first post of the yocto/cocteau thread on muffs here what's been done to alter the conventional voices

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...02a576c437d959

for teh rd8 we're talking smd, so in some cases implementing a poti in series might be okay but not for a very wide range (as existing resistor sets some limits), and for quite a couple of cases you'd need to remove the transistors / change caps, which would be a effort-effect calculation of sorts

not sure how much I'm after all these cocteau mods myself as I'm atm trying out some crazier stuff / busy decoding the fx section

all in all the rd is a massive mod project for me - many voices and features
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
arrrrmmmm (see pic)
The STM32F4 is also used by the MIDIbox platform.
The MIOS Operating System that is used on the MIDIbox platform, migth be a good starting point, when it comes to an alternative custom mod firmware.
http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core_stm32f4.html
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
The STM32F4 is also used by the MIDIbox platform.
The MIOS Operating System that is used on the MIDIbox platform, migth be a good starting point, when it comes to an alternative custom mod firmware.
http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core_stm32f4.html
aha, nice find!

sadly, software's not my area, but we had folks on gs modifying the neutron sw, for instance - maybe one nifty person will be tempted
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
aha, nice find!

sadly, software's not my area, but we had folks on gs modifying the neutron sw, for instance - maybe one nifty person will be tempted
Calling @ mrf
Old 3 weeks ago
mrf
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
Calling @ mrf
hi.
unfortunately, i have no B-808. i got some plans on LXR's fw, but for now i have no time to work even on Neutron.
There are no sources, so adding some functionality = reverse engineering all digital schematics and writing new firmware from scratch. also it needs to be checked if mcu can be read, so original firmware can be restored.
Neutron is extremely friendly because it uses ST hardware bootloader. don't know about 808, it can be Behringer's custom bootloader, and after first rewriting, it becomes a brick with no way back, i don't know.
First of all, try to ask Behringer, their support is good, and they answering fast when you not asking for their secrets) if there are no hw limitations, then they can add that functionality in future updates, just try to be perfectly clear in its explanation.
Old 3 weeks ago
addon to the trigger post above:

AC Interfaces and audio for triggering do work with the TRG points indicated in post #27 , so take any audio interface or sampler with single outs and feed some pulse wave (on single shot mode) into the RD8. Such triggering is also velocity sensitive. NB: all sound except CY & HH will also let a bit of that audio signal through (if fed anything other than single cycle pulse or 1ms trigger), turning especially the T-Bridge networks of BD, SN, Toms etc. into some resonators. Edit: in fact, the T-Bridge oscillators are resonant bandpass filters, so no wonder you can abuse them as audio processors...

https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/set...trigger-in-mod

Last edited by Maffez; 3 weeks ago at 08:58 AM.. Reason: corrections
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
addon to the trigger post above:

AC Interfaces and audio for triggering do work with the TRG points indicated in post #27 , so take any audio interface or sampler with single outs and feed some pulse wave (on single shot mode) into the RD8. Such triggering is also velocity sensitive. NB: all sound except CY & HH will also let a bit of that audio signal through (if fed anything other than single cycle pulse or 1ms trigger), turning especially the T-Bridge networks of BD, SN, Toms etc. into some resonators.

https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/set...trigger-in-mod
do you reckon elektron analog rytm impulse machine voices could work as velocity sensitive triggers?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
do you reckon elektron analog rytm impulse machine voices could work as velocity sensitive triggers?
depends on the specification

one seems to be able to get 4,5v out according to this: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/os-1-...oltage/27263/4

and that's enough to trigger most voices, yet roland service notes specify CB, CY, OH and HH between 7-14 V, so those could pose an issue - would need to check

testes myself with an rme interface and an expert sleepers, both of which worked like a charm

i personally don't have a rytm to veryfy- was tempted to get one for a while but was so put off by the hh machines
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
depends on the specification

one seems to be able to get 4,5v out according to this: https://www.elektronauts.com/t/os-1-...oltage/27263/4

and that's enough to trigger most voices, yet roland service notes specify CB, CY, OH and HH between 7-14 V, so those could pose an issue - would need to check

testes myself with an rme interface and an expert sleepers, both of which worked like a charm

i personally don't have a rytm to veryfy- was tempted to get one for a while but was so put off by the hh machines
hehehehe, fair enough! the hihat machines are the achilles heel of rytm, although the new cymbal machines help a lil
Old 3 weeks ago
So, I kinda cracked the FX section, except for some minor things.

Findings include:

- FX send bus points prior to FX processor input, i.e. you can tap this point and use it with an external out jack for using an external FX loop (which you could route back into the RD via the external input socket labelled "Return"; including fx send mix (see pic) and the individual switches per instrument (IC 8, 9, and 10)

-dry main mix, potentially nice for some additional direct mix out

-direct filter input point *after* the Wave Designer for feeding external audio in

-direct lopass output of filter

-direct highpass output of filter

-CV points for cutoff and resonance of filter, as well as for the wave designer (which, as I understand so far, is practically a vca driven by some envelope follower prolly comprising ICs 13, 14, 27, 28); cv for filter is bipolar, cv for wavedesigner is negative polarity, i.e. anything below 0v opens it up (distorts fast after -1v)

Sound demos: https://soundcloud.com/uibkmedan/set...-fx-fx-cv-mods

still need to find a pre wavedesigner in (found a point but that does also feed back into the main mix)

Filter sounds sweet with vco input and wd can do some cool crunch - gotta say that B missed a bit of an opportunity to go sherman here, but diy is your friend

also, parts of the single outs underneath the left ribbon are decoded
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications-fx_section.jpg   Behringer RD-8 DIY Modifications-single-outs.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'd instantly buy a RD8 and pay you if you could install a few mods for me.

Individual trigger Ins + cv over a few parameters, preferably connected to an Eurorack breakout module, and you'd get my cash

I am serious.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search