The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tangible Waves AE Modular - Anyone Have It?
Old 9th September 2019
Tangible Waves AE Modular - Anyone Have It?

I didn't realize just how cheap this thing was. Does anyone have one and able to report back on their thoughts on it?
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Yes I have a 3-rack system of AE.

It’s great! I’ve been having great fun pairing it with my Analog Keys. There are some things to remember: the cv range for AE is only 0-5v, no negative voltages. You have to use a dedicated I/O module to directly interface with other gear. Also, the patching experience is very different. These wires and ports are TINY! If these things don’t bother you, then you’ll have a great time with it, imo
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

my thoughts are if you already have reasonable sized eurorack then your just double buying as it won't do anything you can't already do, you've just got to fight the cuteness

i was slightly stoned last night and with headphones this patch really appealed to me

Old 15th September 2019 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
my thoughts are if you already have reasonable sized eurorack then your just double buying as it won't do anything you can't already do, you've just got to fight the cuteness

i was slightly stoned last night and with headphones this patch really appealed to me

It’s true, they’ve been putting together the bread and butter and are just starting to get to the really interesting modules. But coming up you got an MI grids clone, drums, a chords module, quantizer, slew, a whole host of stuff.
Old 4th December 2019
I forgot I had this on my radar. It's not a very sexy system, but i kinda like these one-manufacturer systems for their esotericism and workflow.
Old 5th December 2019
Lives for gear

I kinda want to get one and hang it on my wall
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

That's gonna be a no for me, dawg.

The last thing I want is another format.
Old 9th November 2020
Thought I'd bump this thread because after buying someone's system last month and buying a bunch of add-ons, I've become infatuated with this thing. When the rest of my modules come arrive in a couple months, I'm planning on putting together a bunch of tracks with just the AE Modular system. Loving this thing! Anyone else have one now?

Also, more flavors of what it's capable of: https://aetherwaves.bandcamp.com/album/ther-waves-vol-2 (Track 9 is my favorite so far and shows that it doesn't have to just be drone/ambient.)
Old 10th November 2020
Lives for gear

local modular shop has a pretty decent system, including extras like grids port to the format. i gotta say, it's pretty damn fun. tiny as hell but cheap as chips and way more playable than i thought. sounds really nice as well. i also like these small dedicated, one manufacturer (if possible) systems. definitely something i'm considering getting into in the future
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
cheap as chips and way more playable than i thought.
It really is. I was logging my recent AE purchases and found that the entirety of this monster Frankensystem that I've put together so far is less than two grand. I envisioned this as an expander for Mescaline, but now the AE has pretty much dominated that spot on the table for its flexibility and fun factor.
Old 10th November 2020
Lives for gear

you sunk 2k in this? how big is the thing? can you post a picture?
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

That's about as definite as I can get as it's going to be a long while before everything shows up.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
I was playing with this system a bit last night. Using the MS20 filter on max resonance as a sine wave generator piped into the Shimmer effect on the Multi-FX, and I was in ambient heaven for about an hour, just playing the cutoff knob like it was some weird space keyboard. I love this thing.

Quote:
Here's a more definite answer. I've got quite a bit of it on order directly from Tangible Waves. They're the only place to get some of this (in particular, the cases/racks) and it's going to take a few months. Thing to note is that Noisebug has been restocking a lot of their modules, and I'm super impatient, so I ordered a lot from them. basically, everything in the top-left of the rack (from the envelopes to the Master) is going to be duplicates of things that I've already purchased, so whenever the TW order is finally shipped, I'll have all of those modules up for sale.

Tangible Waves AE Modular - Anyone Have It?-current-ae-order.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tangible Waves AE Modular - Anyone Have It?-current-ae-order.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

that's cool. but i wonder why you would have such a big system in ae (when you have the euro stuff). i think the ae is awesome for building a dedicated system. maybe 2 cases. easy to carry around etc. build a drone system, or something of this sort. either way, more is always better
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

Derp's gon' Derp.

This is the way.
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

That Shimmer option in their Multi-FX sounds fun.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
that's cool. but i wonder why you would have such a big system in ae (when you have the euro stuff). i think the ae is awesome for building a dedicated system. maybe 2 cases. easy to carry around etc. build a drone system, or something of this sort. either way, more is always better
I think you kind of hit on the answer to your own question there. Yeah, I have everything that the AE can do or similar to it in Euro, but as a dedicated standalone system, the AE has its own personal workflow. Like with the Euro, I'm inclined to patch willynilly looking for (mostly) aggressive sounds through chaotic patches and with the 5U, it's pretty much one elaborate voice. The AE is kind of its own approach, like a hybrid of the two ideas. I approach it as a kind of groovebox rather than a paint palette or a single instrument. It's kind of like its own organism. Workflow counts for a lot, and I think the results of other AE users attest to this:

There's just something about the AE mindset that leads to these beautiful compositions.
Old 3rd December 2020
Lives for gear

I like the spacey lofi scifi vibe and sound in that video a lot. Definitely in my housewheel.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I like the spacey lofi scifi vibe and sound in that video a lot. Definitely in my housewheel.
Right? It's not the kind of music I would normally try to make, but the results make me want to try it anyway.
📝 Reply