The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator
Old 6th September 2019
4MS Spectral Multiband Resonator

I've had this bad boy for a while, but honestly, it doesn't give me much joy. I decided to sit down with it to try to force something good out of it, but so far the only thing it does that I like is pinging the resonators with triggers while the controls are being modulated. Seems to me like there should be more magic in this thing. So what am I missing?
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

I can't help you. felt exactly the same. don't regret selling it.
Old 10th September 2019
I tried the whole running a signal through it to generate envelopes for other modules thing, but it wasn't very responsive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My interest in one wanes more and more as time passes.

At first it caught my eyes/ears as a small-ish/cheap-ish way to add Harmony content to drones and tracks without tying up an entire Polyphonic synth to play a chord in the background...

And then I thought I'd want to use the 6x envelope followers to extract grooves from external audio and spit out Gates/Triggers to feed other percussion sources.

But more and more as I think of those two use cases, I think there are better ways to do them (actually regular polyphonic synths or chord modules, and other filter banks like Bark filter, fxdf).

The SMR doesn't suck, and I bet I'd enjoy the shiz out of a free or super cheap one, but I definitely don't need one, and I think I can accomplish my original goals even better with different options.

So I end up never buying one. I may still, one day, when I see a crazy deal, but that's where it's landed for me ... on my "eh, it's cool, but not that cool, but I'd check out a super cheap one" list.

Which says a lot, I think.

$100 on the used shelf, instabuy. Buy two at that price. But more? I'm no longer sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here's a video: Second half his Dan jamming with it.
(please excuse me for the sound. I had a little issue with my mic, so I used the camera microphone)
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Here's a video: Second half his Dan jamming with it.
Thanks for shooting/sharing/reposting that. It seems so obvious to use it as a filter, but I somehow overlooked that in my rush to get pretty resonant bells out of it. I'll definitely try out some of that next time in the studio. Thanks, Rep. You're the man!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
It's a difficult beast to wrap your head around. I've debated selling mine but until I need the real estate I continue to mess with it. I kind of like using it as a six voice sequencer (latest firmware) creating moving chords.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search