The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your favorite filters/etc with built in VCAs
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Your favorite filters/etc with built in VCAs

I want/need to add a handful of different sounding VCAs to my setup, and seeing as several modules (usually filters) have built in VCAs and aren't terribly expensive I'm considering adding some of them along with "straight VCAs".

Things like the Manhattan MA35 and the Bastl Cinnamon come to mind.

What others do you suggest? A variety of characterful VCAs are the real goal here, but I'll happily take some extras along with the VCAs.

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

MI Ripples has a built in VCA and is a pretty nice sounding filter. I was sequencing a voice with my TT-303 and thought
Ripples did a decent acid impersonation (until I listened to the TT-303 and realized that Ripples sounded too nice) . It can also do a good kick drum at full resonance with an AD envelope going to both the Gain and FM inputs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

ALM MUM M8!!! Crunchy character VCA and an old Akai filter. It sounds wicked!!!

WMD Pole Zero is a good one too, but not as good as the MUM M8.
Old 1 week ago
I like my Pittsburgh Modular LPG. It has VCA, LPG and filter modes, attenuated CV control over the frequency with a switch to invert the CV input, and it self-oscillates. Sounds pretty good too.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy View Post
MI Ripples has a built in VCA and is a pretty nice sounding filter. I was sequencing a voice with my TT-303 and thought
Ripples did a decent acid impersonation (until I listened to the TT-303 and realized that Ripples sounded too nice) . It can also do a good kick drum at full resonance with an AD envelope going to both the Gain and FM inputs.
^ Ripples is awesome, and combined with Maths creates a devastating kick.

I don't have it anymore but the Dave Smith DSM01. Similar to Ripples in functionality but sounds very different (and really good). The only issue was that it was a very quiet module but I now have ways of countering that so I regret selling it :(
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
There are two that I love:

I wanted to recommend Roland 505. It is not so obvious, but VCA is there. Nothing fancy, just attenuation for signal, without overdrive and other fancy stuff, but filters are enough to give all the character one wants. But VCA has no character here. Posting it here just in case.

My recommendation is QMMG. This thing screams! I love this ringing sound, when gate closes. It's like someone flashed you with strong light at your retinas for fraction of second and then this light fades for much longer. Same applies to this LPG. Damn' it's so good that I have to play with it some more!

Check this out:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search