The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's Your Favorite/Go-To Voice Configuration?
Old 29th August 2019
What's Your Favorite/Go-To Voice Configuration?

I think a lot of us have enough modules to where we can build multiple voice architectures in our systems, but we also have configurations that work well together and get used a lot. For instance, I use an ASol VCO-Sub going through a Happy Nerding Super Sawtor and into Bastl Cinnamon a lot.

So, what's your favorite/go-to voice configuration?
Old 29th August 2019
DSC
Gear Maniac

Any chance we can add what kind of noise/music you like out of that specific configuration? That might help everyone else out on what they can expect from that specific configuration
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think a lot of us have enough modules to where we can build multiple voice architectures in our systems, but we also have configurations that work well together and get used a lot. For instance, I use an ASol VCO-Sub going through a Happy Nerding Super Sawtor and into Bastl Cinnamon a lot.

So, what's your favorite/go-to voice configuration?
Klavis Twin Wave VCO1 in Supersaw mode and the Sub output mixed through a DTM, with a bit of clipping, into Evolution.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Clearly I haven't bought enough modules yet.

My apologies. I'll try to get my act together.
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Tonestar 8106 + Mangrove, hells yeah.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

tonestar 8106 is actually on of my favs too. very nice. but i can make it even juicier with separate modules finishing with the jove. going for the roland sound that is. but the 8106 is self contained so whats not to like really?
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Seriously, though. My whole kit at the moment is barely 1.5 voices (of non-percussion stuff):

I need another VCF and another VCA to really have two full (melodic) monophonic eurorack voices.

Excluding things like the Boog, MS20, DFAM, etc...

I think the Instruo Tona, a Natural Gate, and a few more VCAs are next up on my want list. I have definitely been hampered by a lack of VCAs and Envelopes, and I "need" at least one Env with a modulatable Attack. It's a learning process. Can't know what you might want or need until you hit some hard-limit when trying to do something.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

get wmd mme with expander, it has modulatable everything.
Old 31st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
get wmd mme with expander, it has modulatable everything.
I'm going to try a few I think and keep my favorite. Instruo has one, too. I'll look at that one too, thanks.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

My gotos I use a lot, either simultaneously or overdubbed:

Gates into Basimilus Iteritas Alter's inputs into Frequency Central System X Filter or Instruo I-ō47 for taming harshness = industrial mayhem (gates "trick" by Mylar)

Analog FM goto: Adjusting Instruo Cš-L's "final outputs" (that are the wavefolder outputs) to taste. Opening both wavefolders with pluggy ADs or just Decays gated by Grids or any other gate-producing device.
I either use the wavefolder outs as two separate channels (send them into different filters/vcas with different EGs) or I sum both into one channel which mostly results in a bassline.

S&H + ASR modulation: Not a voice architecture but a source for lots of modulation. Noise into s&h triggered either by steady trigs or random trigs. s&h output goes into a shift register triggered by the same trigs. Shift register's outputs spread across the voice.
Modules with lots of CV inputs like Element appreciate this treatment.
I do this in VCV Rack because there is a shift register with 8 outputs. I don't know if something like this exists in Eurorack though I'd love to own such a module as hardware. Muxlizer maybe?

Classical basslines: Rubicon2's saw or square + sub mixed with Manhattan DTM into Frequency Central SystemX Filter into Frequenc Central XVCA.

Not so classical basslines: sine through wavefolder into filter or destroying a bassdrum with a wavefolder (Ultrafold is good at that).
My gnarliest basslines so far consisted of a bassdrum annihilated by Ultrafold and massaged by a filter.

Analog drums: Analog FM source (Cs-L or Rubicon2 in my case) or a sine (Rubicon2 or a pinged filter like the I-o47) through a wavefolder (Ultrafold for instance) mixed with noise (MFB Dominion 1, my only noise source) through a ring modulator (Cs-L) or any other suitable amplitude modulation.
This is my starting point for drums. Can be further shaped with VCAs and EGs.

Harmonic FM leads: A nice sine (Cs-L) into Rubicon2's TZFM input for Thru Zero leads. Even better when the modulator's pitch relates to the carrier's pitch.
Cs-L alone btw. can do nice harmonic FM too when engaging the right sync mode while its oscillators are intermodulated even though it can't do Thru Zero FM.

... sorry for the amount of words in my post.
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Adding an extra layer to a sound: Sending any sound through the resonator section of Elements.
Old 3rd September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Adding an extra layer to a sound: Sending any sound through the resonator section of Elements.
It's never occurred to me to even try that. I thought that's what Rings was for. I'll have to try this one out soon.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's never occurred to me to even try that. I thought that's what Rings was for. I'll have to try this one out soon.
It's similar to Rings but adds the reverb and makes things into stereo.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

When I started getting into this stuff, I really wanted to stay as far away from standard voice stuff like you'd find in your average synth. While I do experiment with different arrangements, I often find I habitually start with osc>optomix struck and modulated by maths. There is just something so satisfying about a nice LPG.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
It's similar to Rings but adds the reverb and makes things into stereo.
You guize are not helping, now I want a Rings and Elements.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
You guize are not helping, now I want a Rings and Elements.
Give this a try first before getting an Elements ...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...162610#2162610
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Nut
I like three solutions right now:

1) simple one with Lifeforms Primary Oscillator going thru Xaoc's Kamieniec. I don't need filter here, although I imagined this set with Belgrad, and so I have it, but don't utilise it in this setting. This VCO gives me enough of texture change and I am only using Kamieniec to spice thing up.
edit: I forgot! Temporarily for modulation and attenuation I use: QMMG, Batumi and Zadar, but they are going to be changed, I simply use them as they are closest to modules mentioned above they serve well, but QMMG is too much. I might add MMG (that waits in bubble wrap to be utilised) as permanent VCA in this simple setup.

2) another simple setup is almost entirely Waldorf based - Wavetable VCO, VCF (I love this filter), VCA, modulated by two modules: Waldorf's Mod (for VCF and VCA) and MI Stages (for Wavetable scanning and jumping)

3) my recent discovery, after I played with SE-02 and freakin love OSC2 modulated with envelope then adding OSC2->VCF modulation and overdriving. So my recreation in stereo is this:
- base layer: 2 x 512 (sometimes for two oscillators, sometimes to modulate one with another) -> 521 -> Xaoc Tallin;
- modulation: sometimes I use 512 from base layer (since I have only two :'() and 540;
- optional modulation layer: ACL Variable Sync VCO (for FM, when two 512 are used for base sound - ACL is very hifi);
- optional sound layer: Erica's Fusion VCO V1 (for best dirty Sub one can get).
For basic setup I only use 2 x 512, 521, 540, Tallin.

Every set is in each own case. Not alone, but other modules are there, just to not waste precious HP. But I am leaning toward freezing some architectures and maybe changing cases to those that suit sets above.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

I guess it fits the theme...

...i want to (re)profess my love for the DFAM and most any Sequenced Modulation source. I run 4x into mine (3x lanes from the 2x PressurePoints and Brains combo, and the 8 steps available on the Muxlicer). I love the variety of percussion sounds and performance-oriented tweaks this all allows.

Nothing compact about all this, but man it delivers.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanion View Post
3) my recent discovery, after I played with SE-02 and freakin love OSC2 modulated with envelope then adding OSC2->VCF modulation and overdriving. So my recreation in stereo is this:
- base layer: 2 x 512 (sometimes for two oscillators, sometimes to modulate one with another) -> 521 -> Xaoc Tallin;
- modulation: sometimes I use 512 from base layer (since I have only two :'() and 540;
- optional modulation layer: ACL Variable Sync VCO (for FM, when two 512 are used for base sound - ACL is very hifi);
Interesting!
What you can tell about the Roland 512 vs ACL Variable Sync VCO?
I mean timbre and tracking, thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search