The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion

I started my summer by packing up all the fun parts of my studio for a move that, as of two and a half months later, still hasn't happened yet. I was planning on picking up a new Avalon at some point when the new batch showed up (also still forthcoming) but a few weeks ago I just started itching for some gear to work with around here. So I thought about what I wanted out of that second Avalon and conceived of a modular design that I could achieve without scavenging my two main cases much at all (I also had a third case 6Ux84 that was mostly full of modules useful for bass synthesis).

My first decision was size. I knew I wanted at least 6" tall (smaller on the inside obviously) but I didn't want something that seemed over-large or distended. I had, from my previous DIY cases (that lived in ginormous amp rack cases), some Z-rails/ears and a couple of Make Noise Power Buses. This would limit me to 84hp but, for a reasonably straightforward bass synth, that is more than enough for this case/instrument. Going for the 18x13x6 would allow for a row of 1U tiles as well to offload some utility from that tight space.

I knew the brackets would fit inside of 18" (they're 17 and some change) but I had no real plan for how to attach them. I puttered around with some non-invasive ideas that didn't work very well before stumbling onto my eventual solution: pipe holders/clamps. I went with the really soft ones so that I could bend them into place (the steel ones would have sucked to maneuver into place) and tapped the center for screw holes. My original plan was to epoxy them into the lip of the case but everything is sitting so solidly right now I decided to leave it so that I can always remove and tinker later if I want to. I included some close-ups of the fasteners holding the rails.

I already had the power bus mounted to a board from the prior DIY case and that was velcro'd to the bottom of that case; at the time my idea was I could build a new case and pop that bus board right in on two pieces of velcro. It's rare that my long term "maker" ideas are anything short of idiotic but this time I actually did myself a favor because two strips of industrial velcro later the board was installed with plenty of clearance for the deepest module in that row (VCF-303 when it gets moved down to the bottom row).

The tile row hasn't gone 100% as planned; I'm going to dremel some of those 1U blanks to fit into the curvature of the case's corners and then add a Quadratt, a uMIDI and a LINE OUT. But there's definitely no room for the bottom rail even with the lock removed (it was shipped without a key anyway) so I'm working on a way to anchor the bottom of the tile rows with a spacer of some kind that can sit in that same lip (where the rail holders sit) and just provide some support. Those aren't modules that are gonna get hella wiggled so I think it will work being half screwed in but I'll need something to keep that bottom of the panel supported as I'm inserting into jacks.

Still need a few things in addition to the tiles: the Omsonic filter is just a temp, the final design replaces that with a Roland 505 VCF and adds some logic/utility to use the two Pittsburgh Oscillators almost as a poor man's Vulcan Modulator (which is probably twice as expensive as a Vulcan but...shhhhhhh), and also a FCUK envelope gen and some VCAs. And I really need a Beatstep Pro to drive this, that was a big part of the decision not to add a sequencer to the 6Uxu84.

I also want to add some art and funky lighting to the top lid (inside) and I need something to plug the now-empty lock hole.

Total cost of the case so far: I already had the Z-rails but that would be a small investment for 6 rails. Plus around $100 for the case (shipped) and maybe another $20 in fasteners, glue that I didn't use, etc.

This is proof that a very below average DIY'er can accomplish a Eurorack case conversion without much in the way of tools, know-how or money.
Attached Thumbnails
HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_1675.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_1677.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_1678.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_1679.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_1693.jpg  

HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_1694.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_5970.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-img_7891.jpg  
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Guru

CRANIAL SAWWWWW!!!

But yeah, that's a badass build there, dude. I love how cyberpunk it looks. Maybe instead of adding art to it, you should just wear a suit and tie with it.

Old 8th August 2019
Lives for gear

Absolutely love it. Can't wait to see it finished.

I've been itching to do a Haliburton Zero case conversion, myself; just hadn't got around to it yet.

I could never decorate one, though. I'd have to have it all silver/raw, with all silver/raw modules.

Been thinking about adding a handcuff & chain to one, in keeping with the secret-agent-y theme.

Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear

A new addition...
Attached Thumbnails
HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-bb7bda92-b50e-42a3-ba9d-6f05da651e94.jpg   HallZero Centurion Elite Case Conversion-9b41a3d2-d592-4f64-bcd2-199b65595f43.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search