The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Eurorack Troubleshooting: Power Supply being Stressed?
Old 18th June 2019
Eurorack Troubleshooting: Power Supply being Stressed?

Hi! I'm having some issues with my Eruorack build. Basically, whenever I attempt to mix audio from my oscillators I get something akin to AM happening, where the sound will fade in and out based on the frequency difference between two oscillators. This happens no matter which mixer I use in my eurorack case. I also recently installed an Ericasynths Pico DSP that does not sound right when I run audio through it. Individual oscillators are fine.

I wonder if there's some sort of current starvation or something else happening for some reason. I have a Row Power 30 running 104 HP of 3U and 104 HP of 1U. Does this sound like a power issue to you? I'm thinking it might be time to get Row Power 40 and try that, after going through my case and making sure all the ribbon cables are the right way 'round. The main reason why I suspect this is things sounded fine in the past with fewer modules, but I've also had one or two power issues since then (I built a module that subsequently fried when I plugged it in, I've applied power once or twice with a ribbon cable plugged the wrong way on a module). Anyways, if this sounds familiar and you know off-hand what might cause it, then thanks in advance! I will also keep troubleshooting to see if I can find the issue.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Guru

Whenever I was stressing the power, the problems I'd notice were unstable pitches and crosstalk between modules. Plus some of the digital stuff wouldn't power up. Just for laughs, try it with just two oscillators and a mixer powered up, and see if you're still getting the issue.
Old 19th June 2019
yeah like Derp said.
troubleshooting:
disconnect all modules from the rails (best is to take them out)
then connect one by one. try the offending modules on their own.
also vary with the position (of the power connector on the powerstrip)
Old 21st June 2019
Lives for gear

Also some pwn supplys might not play ball with all modules even when not at the edge of their power level.
I have had very good luck with deopfer all linear psus. they seem like the best choice of performance/price ratio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search