The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
your eurorack *Moments of Terror* (dun dun dunnn!!)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 

your eurorack *Moments of Terror* (dun dun dunnn!!)

For me, two things have stopped me in my tracks:

* the first time I unplugged everything after having a cool patch going and evolving for days. Terrifying, if only for an instant. Was using almost every cable I own, stretching what my tiny group of modules can do at once, learning a ton, gone...

That was an hour ago. I took no notes, on purpose. No detailed photos, either, seeing what happens, and doesn't. I'm about to dive back in now.

* and the other ... that situation which occurs when you have more space and modules (especially New modules) than power connections. Ugh.

Plenty of power. Not enough @^#%@ connections. Literally having to stare at new modules I can't power for a week - hellish. I'll never make that mistake again. Ordered 3x bus boards w 20 connections each. Not F-ing around, now.

Tell us - (dramstic theme music..) what are yours?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Power problems are the bane of my existence. Ribbon cables that are wired wrong, shrouds that were placed backward on the module, and unlabeled modules that aren't red-stripe down have all scared the hell out of me. Thank goodness that reverse power protection exists.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Gear Head
Modules that won't f***ing fit because DIY people cannot measure things properly. Screw holes which are JUST enough ***ed up so they won't work. Modules that won't leave enough space for the power cable, so the next module won't fit.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
My biggest moment of Terror was after plugging in my Structure case after a studio rearrange. It uses a standard IEC plug and somehow I managed to plug it in with one or more of the pins not fully connected. I turned it on and knew something was very wrong but spent almost an hour freaking out before realizing I just needed a little push on the IEC cable to get it fully connected. I thank my lucky stars that I didn't fry anything.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Power problems are the bane of my existence. Ribbon cables that are wired wrong, shrouds that were placed backward on the module, and unlabeled modules that aren't red-stripe down have all scared the hell out of me. Thank goodness that reverse power protection exists.
Are you saying they (manufacturers) sometimes put the keyed plug on one end of the ribbon cable on there backwards? How the hell do you check and guard against that not frying the occasional module?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Are you saying they (manufacturers) sometimes put the keyed plug on one end of the ribbon cable on there backwards? How the hell do you check and guard against that not frying the occasional module?
Sadly, yes. All you can do is keep an eye out for it when you're installing modules and hope that the module has good reverse-power protection in case you miss it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Sadly, yes. All you can do is keep an eye out for it when you're installing modules and hope that the module has good reverse-power protection in case you miss it.
Oh gawd. That does sound terrifying.

I think I need a cable tester of some sort. Hmm.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Derp's Avatar
It's not a hard one to keep an eye out on: Just check which side of the cable the red stripe is on when looking at the keyed side. It's just a matter of getting into the habit of checking.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
It's not a hard one to keep an eye out on: Just check which side of the cable the red stripe is on when looking at the keyed side. It's just a matter of getting into the habit of checking.
Whoa there.

That presupposes a degree of New Module In The House self control that I may not have.

I can hardly tear packages open fast enough. Today I await another (the second Pressure Points), and can barely stand it.

Maybe it all wears off some after the 80th module has arrived, but today's will only be my 12th actual module (uZeus and my three Voices aside), with my 13th and 14th also arriving this week.



Do you remeber what it was like back then, when you were just getting started?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Gear Addict
 
Summer Of Nebula's Avatar
 

I once bought a used modul that turned into an odyssey.
At first the seller sent me the wrong filter (actually the one I would have preferred but was low on cash at that time) and when I finally got the right filter it didn't work properly.
I had to contact the manufacturer for help. The opamps were dead and I had to buy new ones.
Seller didn't respond at all when I wrote him that there's something wrong with it.

Another story happened last week, when my Tiptop power supply died while I was recording stuff.
Changed it for a Voltcraft power supply that can handle temperatures better.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
1. Staring at my distings without a cheatsheet at hand. Useless.
2. Powering down my case without saving the bitbox's settings into a preset.
3. Seeing my Wasp filter go up in smoke. The good thing was that I recorded a track with it dying and making weird noises just before it's death.

Actually I love tearing down a patch. It's done. Period. No recall. Next...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Addict
 
Summer Of Nebula's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
[...]

Actually I love tearing down a patch. It's done. Period. No recall. Next...
Me too. I particularly love starting new patches. I let them live just for the recording.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
subdo's Avatar
I just broke down a patch I'd been playing with for almost a month now. I never recorded it even though it sounded great. It was just too noodley and I couldn't figure out an interesting arrangement for it. Honestly it felt great. If it was a decade ago it would have been a project in Logic somewhere that I would have kept coming back to trying to save somehow but you know what? Life is too short for that sh1z. Pull the patch and move on.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
1. Staring at my distings without a cheatsheet at hand. Useless.
2. Powering down my case without saving the bitbox's settings into a preset.
3. Seeing my Wasp filter go up in smoke. The good thing was that I recorded a track with it dying and making weird noises just before it's death.

Actually I love tearing down a patch. It's done. Period. No recall. Next...
What happened to the WASP filter?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
RiF
Lives for gear
 
RiF's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
What happened to the WASP filter?
A chip died. It's a documented problem with the Wasp.
The online store where I got it from repaired it for free (under warranty).
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump