The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DFAM clone from Eurorack modules?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
DFAM clone from Eurorack modules?

This might sound like a pointless thing when you could just buy a DFAM, but I believe I already have 80% of the components for a DFAM clone. I'm still eyeing it but based on what I have I'm already pretty close to a basically superior clone:

Erica Synths PICO VCO
MFB Seq-3 sequencer
various VCA's
MFB dual ADSR
Bunch of filters
attenuator, mixer, utilities

Of course I have a bunch of other modules like drum modules, but I think I could use the above for "DFAM-style" things.

So what do I still need besides another VCO? Or maybe two more full analog VCO's just for fatness.

If I understand it it has two VCO's, 3 VCA's, a single filter, a noise generator and a sequencer correct?

Anyone tried "cloning" a DFAM in Eurorack format?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Eh, it’s one of those things where on paper you can easily build something as good or better than the DFAM...it may or may not be less expensive, and may or may not work better as a cohesive instrument. I already had “better” options for drums etc in eurorack when I got a DFAM, but still got one because of how it works together as a whole and how it would be worked into my existing setup and as an alternative or boost to existing modules. No reason you can’t try rolling your own tho.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

DFAM would need a two-channel CV (not just gate) sequencer, noise generator, two oscillators, multimode filter, and a couple of envelopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Eh, it’s one of those things where on paper you can easily build something as good or better than the DFAM...it may or may not be less expensive, and may or may not work better as a cohesive instrument. I already had “better” options for drums etc in eurorack when I got a DFAM, but still got one because of how it works together as a whole and how it would be worked into my existing setup and as an alternative or boost to existing modules. No reason you can’t try rolling your own tho.
That was my experience with the 0-Coast. Bought a bunch of modules to clone it, but when I got a hold of the actual module, it was a different experience.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Love my DFAM.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
This might sound like a pointless thing when you could just buy a DFAM, but I believe I already have 80% of the components for a DFAM clone. I'm still eyeing it but based on what I have I'm already pretty close to a basically superior clone:

Erica Synths PICO VCO
MFB Seq-3 sequencer
various VCA's
MFB dual ADSR
Bunch of filters
attenuator, mixer, utilities

Of course I have a bunch of other modules like drum modules, but I think I could use the above for "DFAM-style" things.

So what do I still need besides another VCO? Or maybe two more full analog VCO's just for fatness.

If I understand it it has two VCO's, 3 VCA's, a single filter, a noise generator and a sequencer correct?

Anyone tried "cloning" a DFAM in Eurorack format?
even if you happen to build "a clone" of it you will probably grow tired of it in no time. and start using those modules for other things.

But its good practice imo to try to replicate both sounds and machines. you will learn a lot from this.

I have a feeling that whatever you will build will behave a lot different and and will be a lot more powerful/deep/wide in acoustics though.

Its a lot more fun doing stuff yourself.

I once build a kickdrum sound from an entire row of modules it was kickass. a 1500€ kick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search