The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Modules you regretted spending time/money on and why?
Old 13th June 2019
What Modules you regretted spending time/money on and why?

Any horror stories ?
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

For me, it's gotta be Charcot Circles. You have to coat your fingers with saliva to get the contacts to respond, and even then, the interface is so cryptic that you can't just plug and play on it. It was a cool idea for a sequencer, but it needed real buttons and more of them.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Head

Pittsburgh Outs. Like many beginners, I got it when I started out because I didn't realize that output modules are usually unnecessary; and I have not much prospect of selling it on, because it hums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by modularfreq View Post
Any horror stories ?
I really dont regret that many. since i only buy modeles that can understand how they work by simply just looking at them. so i basically know what i'm getting before i got them.

When i first got the make noise erbeverb i felt it sucked ass. but now after using it for quite some time i'm starting to like it more and more. I would like it to be better all over, but it is what it is. what can i say. But i still think almost any regular reverb is better at actual reverb. but this more like another audio generating part. like a filter or osc or similar.

I was also quite underwhelmed by the doepfer sem filter. since it doesn't make my synth sound like a sem. wtf righht.

also my aion filter does not make my synth sound like a moog modular :(

Usually i will research my modules for a very long time before buying. so almost everything is no surprise at all really. i suggest this to everyone else too. research/listen/read the forums/read everything BEFORE you buy them. and also dont be the guinea pig.

I love all my current modules all 10 rows!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Audio Damage Neuron and DubMix mk2. Reason being that neither work consistently with my case/PSU and the manufacturer went out of business and gave the middle finger to any outstanding support issues. I can't sell them in good conscience because there's about a 50% chance they wont work with someone else's PSU and they weren't that important to my sound that I want to bend over backwards finding power that will work for them. If anyone's interested in them I'd happily trade for just about anything else. Not that I expect there would be any takers with that kind of impression.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
The Audio Damage Neuron and DubMix mk2. Reason being that neither work consistently with my case/PSU and the manufacturer went out of business and gave the middle finger to any outstanding support issues. I can't sell them in good conscience because there's about a 50% chance they wont work with someone else's PSU and they weren't that important to my sound that I want to bend over backwards finding power that will work for them. If anyone's interested in them I'd happily trade for just about anything else. Not that I expect there would be any takers with that kind of impression.
Oh, wow! I didn't know he'd called it quits! That's surprising. I thought the Eurocrack side of his house was doing well, too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdo View Post
I was always interested in both of those...I’m too happy with my setup to think of parting stuff out for trade right now and don’t have the cash to buy them from you outright at this time (and would need to find room for another case)...but if you’re still sitting on them in a few months let me know, since I should be able to corner Chris at a local synth meet if they’re defective in my rig, and if that doesn’t work I’ll try to arrange a theremin orchestra to play outside his house every night until he relents.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

XOAC Karl Marx Stadt = Looks the part but it just a plain boring synth.

TouellSkouarn Scorn da bask = Built one and was planning on doing a youtube video but whilst filming i couldn't get one single interesting sound out of it to make a video worth while, year or 2 later i watched the DIVkid video and IMO he couldn't get anything interesting out of it either.

Random source Variable Q VCF = Built 2 and theres something not right with both of them, both have same problem doesn't filter smoothly lots of dead areas and pops, odd how its both as i tried different components on the second build.

E102 Quad Temporal shifter = doesn't do what i was led to believe it should do which renders it pretty useless.

Last edited by cane creek; 2 weeks ago at 12:33 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Oh, wow! I didn't know he'd called it quits! That's surprising. I thought the Eurocrack side of his house was doing well, too.
Yes the last module they made was their EOS reverb plugin in Eurorack format, apparently there was lots of issues with that module, I guess it was probably a logistical nightmare for a small company to fix them all and still remain in profit so they just jacked in instead and left everybody with a module that will never work correctly
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What pisses me off is I've just looked on the Synthesis technology website and their still advertising that the E102 work in a certain way (driving 4 VCOs) when in reality the module is seriously flawed for that use.

If it did what they say it would do then it would be one amazing module.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Make Noise Wogglebug and RxMX+FXDf. I was pretty hard Make Noise fanboy for a while. I was snapping up every module I could. I wanted a random and wouldn't even entertain the idea of anything other than the MN Wogglebug. I was never quite able to get it to do what I wanted the way I wanted. I still have it sitting here but it hasn't seen power since I got a Sapel. I bought the RxMx and FXDf because A) It's Make Noise and B) Alessandro Cortini video using a Buchla filter bank with noise. I realized A) I don't need to own every Make Noise module. B) It does not equal a Buchla filter bank and C) most importantly, I'm not Alessandro Cortini.

I still think Make Noise is one of the best module makers out there and I love seeing all their new products and videos but, I've come to realize my goals do not necessarily fall in line with theirs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
XOAC Karl Marx Stadt = Looks the part but it just a plain boring synth.
That's because it's based on a Doepfer DIY kit: http://www.doepfer.de/DIY_Synth_e.htm
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
That's because it's based on a Doepfer DIY kit: http://www.doepfer.de/DIY_Synth_e.htm
Correct, I bought the doepfer board separately
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I"m shocked all that was happening with Audio Damage, but to be fair, I only have his first-generation modules. I'm going to throw out all of his music as a show of solidarity. ...while trying to buy Subdo's Neuron because i liek drumz.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

^ Heh, if you've ever dealt with him, it's not all that shocking
It is unfortunate though, as they are talented developers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
^ Heh, if you've ever dealt with him, it's not all that shocking
It is unfortunate though, as they are talented developers.
I'm going to burn in the fires of hell for this, but my experience with most developers is that they're arrogant condescending assholes with VERY rare exception. I swear up and down by Analogue Solutions stuff, but dealing with that dude is really an exercise in self-restraint. He makes me want to nuke England from orbit.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
What pisses me off is I've just looked on the Synthesis technology website and their still advertising that the E102 work in a certain way (driving 4 VCOs) when in reality the module is seriously flawed for that use.

If it did what they say it would do then it would be one amazing module.
Curious to know what the flaws are. Have you reached out to Paul at Synthtech regarding your issues with the module?

No affiliation here other than for owning an e350, but he's come across to me as one of the straightest, no nonsense devs around. I would imagine that we would do his best to address your concerns in specific.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionmiles View Post
Curious to know what the flaws are. Have you reached out to Paul at Synthtech regarding your issues with the module?

No affiliation here other than for owning an e350, but he's come across to me as one of the straightest, no nonsense devs around. I would imagine that we would do his best to address your concerns in specific.
I agree, Paul is usually a very helpful and straight forward chap. You should consider letting him know.
He is probably still busy with delivering E370´s to all the (pre)orders, but still he´s taking time to answer questions and delivering information to customers and community in a relaxed way when needed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Imagine the E102 like a Mult on steroids.
Synthesis Technology say you can sequence 4 oscillators with it.

The E102 has 1 x CV in and 4 x CV out, so you basically go CV out of your sequencer into CV in on the E102, then you have 4 x CV outs (4 versions of your sequence) to send to 4 oscillators.

What is cool about the module what makes it different from a Mult is that you can delay the 4 CV out puts send them out at different times which could make some cool effects/sounds.

The Flaw, you get it all patched up to trigger 4 oscillators then realise you don’t have 4 gates, that’s when the module falls into a puddle of piss and never climbs out.
To work as intended the module should have 1 CV in, 1 Gate in, 4 x CV out, 4 x Gate out, but it doesn’t.

You could try lots of work arounds to try and get 4 gates but they’d never sync with the 4 CVs in order for them to delay too.

This flaw was discussed many times on forums in 2014, around that time Paul was at NAMM giving the same explanation that it can sequence 4 oscillators. Its now 2019 and the website still has an explanation at the bottom saying it can sequence 4 oscillators and explains how, but never mentions gates.

E102 page

Paul freely admits he messed up on his early modules not adding attenuators, it’s about time he admits the E102 isn’t fit for the purpose of sequencing 4 oscillators which was the reason why I bought it, however it can be used for other tasks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
E102
Admittedly I'm very under-informed as to the E102 and what all it can do, but I'm noticing a clock input. What about having that slaved to a trigger/gate generating device (like a sequencer, LFO, or clock divider) and using the master get the triggering you want? I know it's not ideal, but maybe this could work?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Imagine the E102 like a Mult on steroids.
Synthesis Technology say you can sequence 4 oscillators with it.

The E102 has 1 x CV in and 4 x CV out, so you basically go CV out of your sequencer into CV in on the E102, then you have 4 x CV outs (4 versions of your sequence) to send to 4 oscillators.

What is cool about the module what makes it different from a Mult is that you can delay the 4 CV out puts send them out at different times which could make some cool effects/sounds.

The Flaw, you get it all patched up to trigger 4 oscillators then realise you don’t have 4 gates, that’s when the module falls into a puddle of piss and never climbs out.
To work as intended the module should have 1 CV in, 1 Gate in, 4 x CV out, 4 x Gate out, but it doesn’t.

You could try lots of work arounds to try and get 4 gates but they’d never sync with the 4 CVs in order for them to delay too.

This flaw was discussed many times on forums in 2014, around that time Paul was at NAMM giving the same explanation that it can sequence 4 oscillators. Its now 2019 and the website still has an explanation at the bottom saying it can sequence 4 oscillators and explains how, but never mentions gates.

E102 page

Paul freely admits he messed up on his early modules not adding attenuators, it’s about time he admits the E102 isn’t fit for the purpose of sequencing 4 oscillators which was the reason why I bought it, however it can be used for other tasks.
that's too bad it didn't work out for you. certainly fits the thread title!

destined for the classifieds I guess?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
that's too bad it didn't work out for you. certainly fits the thread title!

destined for the classifieds I guess?
No i don't sell gear, only ever sold 2 items , a Meeblip because i had two and a Effektrix Warpfactory which i severely regretted
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Admittedly I'm very under-informed as to the E102 and what all it can do, but I'm noticing a clock input. What about having that slaved to a trigger/gate generating device (like a sequencer, LFO, or clock divider) and using the master get the triggering you want? I know it's not ideal, but maybe this could work?
when i get my modular mojo back i'll have a dabble, but i know nothing works i tried for long enough, i do use it for other things, its just if it had work as paul says it would of been awesome.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The closest I have come to regretting a module purchase is my Qu-Bit RT-60. It’s not a bad little effects module, but the effects are fairly limited. Still, I have a new 12u case arriving this week, and I will likely put it back in my setup. The chorus or flange may be useful, but Magneto and Clouds cover delay and reverb better.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
He is probably still busy with delivering E370´s to all the (pre)orders,
The E370s are all good, done and delivered. There's a new MEGA module (digital) in the pipeline that's keeping him busy. There's also an 14hp analog module also in the works (oscillator?). Both should have a prototype for reveal in September, with the MEGA one ready for a November kickstarter. No idea what each one will do.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
The E370s are all good, done and delivered. There's a new MEGA module (digital) in the pipeline that's keeping him busy. There's also an 14hp analog module also in the works (oscillator?). Both should have a prototype for reveal in September, with the MEGA one ready for a November kickstarter. No idea what each one will do.
I'm pretty sure the analog module will be a eurorack version of his CS-80 filter, the MOTM-480, as was hinted at in this video:

(go to 35:00)
Old 10 hours ago
Quote:
Random source Variable Q VCF = Built 2 and theres something not right with both of them, both have same problem doesn't filter smoothly lots of dead areas and pops, odd how its both as i tried different components on the second build.
Interesting, mine works fine. Though I'm not a DIYer so I purchased it from someone else. So the design does work, there has to be some other problem going on. Have you tried different power supplies? (just trying to think of a common denominator)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search