The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What Modules you regretted spending time/money on and why?
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Clouds.... It mainly turned my distinct and effective sequences into mush.
I don't have Clouds, but from the demos I've seen it strikes me as something that would be more useful to process external audio instead of modular sounds. Location recordings, speech/vocals, acoustic instruments, things like that maybe.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by baethku View Post
The closest I have come to regretting a module purchase is my Qu-Bit RT-60. It’s not a bad little effects module, but the effects are fairly limited. Still, I have a new 12u case arriving this week, and I will likely put it back in my setup. The chorus or flange may be useful, but Magneto and Clouds cover delay and reverb better.
It's a limited and lofi module, but it was one of the first of its kind. I bought one early on because our lord and savior Richard Devine had one. What made the RT60 better than just using a freebie reverb VST in post was its ability to change effects and settings via CV. That's still a cool trick that I think many modern effects modules miss out on.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
I don't have Clouds, but from the demos I've seen it strikes me as something that would be more useful to process external audio instead of modular sounds. Location recordings, speech/vocals, acoustic instruments, things like that maybe.
You actually hit the nail on the head kind of. It turns sequenced synth bits into mush, but using one of the alternative modes, it can turn drum patterns and loops into something new, exciting, a little dangerous, and with just enough dried jizz on the packaging to make you curious.
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
...with just enough dried jizz on the packaging to make you curious.
I still want to try one despite your description, not because of it.

Old 24th July 2019
Gear Head

clouds
metropolis
Old 27th July 2019
Gear Head

Clouds. I've owned 3 lol..
Lots of doepfer modules.. like Doepfer A-113 and i've tried most of their filters i believe, i have none of them left (they're decent for the price but not too exciting really).
Grids. could never get any musical results from it, not ones that i thought fitted my style at least.
Tuesday. Same there, it's a cool concept but meh...
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Clouds. I usually buy stuff after much research but I was new to modular, I heard a lot about Clouds and MI was doing the final run. It mainly turned my distinct and effective sequences into mush.
heh, that's the whole point of clouds

"texture synthesizer"

But it's also a slight bit of user error most likely because of a cryptic/layered interface. It works fine as a standard delay and nice reverb too, just need to adjust the patch using buttons and knob combos.

Hot tip: it also sounds great when you saturate simple blip blop drums by cranking the input and leaving the mix at 100% dry (or with a touch of reverb).

And... it triples as a mono to stereo utility.
Old 17th August 2019
Lives for gear

Random*Source Haible Dual Wasp filter:

Great in theory and function but sounds kind of nasal... and the overdrive is pretty rough in a not so pleasant way.

Didn't regret it because I learned but not a keeper for me.

Roland AIRA Bitrazer:

Great in theory but I HATE hooking up extra devices to access hidden functions (patch customizer). It's just messy, time consuming and Eurocrack already is messy and time consuming so those sorts of modules can waste somebody else's time
Old 18th August 2019
Lives for gear

I have the normal MI Clouds and a smaller Uburst ...I like the pitch changing reverb.

I''m fighting this decision to even post this.
Don''t interpret this as a regret.. just sort of WTF am I doing?

I seriously question if my time is well invested diving into this one module.

Theres a big module with a big color screen and it is a rabbit hole within a rabbit hole.

If you have a lot of free time it will eat it up just trying to make a patch. It's wicked powerful once you save a few presets IF you need recall. It's so open ended and can replicate a system in a single preset.... however right out of the gate I'm asking myself .....what the hell did I just buy?

I'm used to grabbing a cable and getting on with it and this is just opposite thinking for me. My hope is If I make something I like I can save it and recall it but the price is paid with re-learning things like patching a cable that should be second nature....even propellerheads reason made cables that wiggle. These are just blocks you patch and so on.

The screen is amazing but I'm not taking well to the menu idea.
Once again..I'm not going to bash the module..Its a great digital platform.However.. I didn't really research the process enough and the user interface is awkward for me
Old 19th August 2019
I get that Clouds invokes polarizing opinions. I just picked one up, recently getting back into Eurorack. My thoughts confirm my earlier suspicion - when used on basic oscillators within a modular it seems lackluster. But when used to process external audio it can be amazing. For me the Freeze function alone makes it worth it. Take any clip of audio and turn it into a wavetable oscillator of sorts very quickly. Stretch and bend audio into pads or ghost-like whispers. This module can be the soundtrack to a horror movie all by itself. I prefer the factory version, with lots of room to tweak those knobs.
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Paul freely admits he messed up on his early modules not adding attenuators, it’s about time he admits the E102 isn’t fit for the purpose of sequencing 4 oscillators which was the reason why I bought it, however it can be used for other tasks.
He didn't mess up by not adding attenuators... he's placating people by adding them. He "messed up" by not anticipating how unwilling people in euro were to making their modulars modular and adding their own attenuators.

Also the problem you are having with the E102 can be resolved easy. You can generate whatever gates you want with any quantizer that generates gates and/or triggers on voltage changes. Just add some more modules! It's everyone's fav thing to do!
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.o.t.s. View Post
He didn't mess up by not adding attenuators... he's placating people by adding them. He "messed up" by not anticipating how unwilling people in euro were to making their modulars modular and adding their own attenuators.
There's nothing "anti" modular about including an attenuator control on an input. It doesn't take any capability away, but it can save you a few patch cables. This argument is about nothing except convenience.
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
There's nothing "anti" modular about including an attenuator control on an input. It doesn't take any capability away, but it can save you a few patch cables. This argument is about nothing except convenience.
i love attenuators on modules as much as the next wiggler for sure... i just wouldn’t call it a design flaw to omit them. what would i use all my At At At modules for if everyone included them? lol
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear

4ms Tapographic Delay.

Back then I was wondering why this module wasn't more popular because it seemed like such a cool concept. And partly it's true: you can create very very complex delays, rhythmically and sonically, and even have the taps sync to a clock.
But it wouldn't react to tempo changes. And I found the modulation capabilities to be pretty useless. And it's super hard to get consistent results.

Maybe it's more useful in a whole different setup. Right now I'm much happier with Clouds' (Parasites) pitch shifting delay: easy to get consistent results and very fun to modulate.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Rings. Felt like eating food already chewed by someone else.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
I had some fun rediscovering Rings last weekend. What helped me was to turn up the damping so that sounds don't decay so long. Then it gets clever for processing drums and such.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.o.t.s. View Post
I'm simply quoting the words from Pauls mouth that he said in an interview i listened to on a radio show on soundcloud circa the release of the E950, in that interview he said he only made modules as a hobby and to fund his sons education fees and regretted not putting attenuators on his earlier modules.

Last edited by cane creek; 14th September 2019 at 09:30 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Hinton Instruments SwitchMix. Not that it's a bad module, the contrary. It's solid and very useful.
But being an early adopter, I was "rewarded" with subsequent pricing of this module 200 euros cheaper than I bought it.
Should be the other way round.

Found a video:
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Interesting. I've ordered two DIY kits. I want to build a sort of mid-range freq "bell synth".
With two Wiard Anti-oOscillators. Like an electronic two voiced indonesian Gamelan of sorts. Want to give it gamelan tuning as well. (weird but interesting scales)
Am I wrong or did you just have another purpose for it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Interesting. I've ordered two DIY kits. I want to build a sort of mid-range freq "bell synth".
With two Wiard Anti-oOscillators. Like an electronic two voiced indonesian Gamelan of sorts. Want to give it gamelan tuning as well. (weird but interesting scales)
Am I wrong or did you just have another purpose for it?
I felt it always sounded like 'Rings' and never like my own synhtesised sound. This may be my general issue with some Mutable modules. Hard not to sound like everyone else - if you check out the Rings demos on Youtube, all sound pretty much alike don't they?

I generally prefer constructing the my sounds from more basic elements, e.g. plucks with oscillators, LPGs, wavefolders, VCFs and other audio shapers. Love experimenting with and abusing R*S Serge, which can lead to very organic string sounds. Also interested in constructing Karplus Strong synthesis with more basic elements, like a good BBD e.g. the CG Products, Delay1022 Mk2 (on my radar).

That said, I had the Rings when I was in my early stages of modular and didn't have much understanding or many other modules to modulate it, never really tried running it through filters etc. So I might have given up too early. And YMMV, of course.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Studio Electronics Quadnic

Having no ability to save state and the real PITA it was to tune the damn thing... plus it took me 6+ months to sell it, and I didn't even sell it... I had to trade it. Ugh.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm starting to rethink about Clouds, Rings, and the SSF Entity Bass Drum.

I generally turn hot and cold on them regularly. Clouds has probably seen the most use.

I also use the SSF a lot, but generally not for what it is designed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
I'm starting to rethink about Clouds, Rings, and the SSF Entity Bass Drum.

I generally turn hot and cold on them regularly. Clouds has probably seen the most use.

I also use the SSF a lot, but generally not for what it is designed.
I have the Entity BD and I think it's great at what it does but I'm not usually throwing a whole lot of modulation at my kick drums and I've sampled all of the set and forget drums that I usually end up at with it. I also use it for bass lines and pseudo 808 boomy stuff but with no fine tune and the FM envelopes it can be a bit of a pain to get and keep in tune. If I was on a downsizing it would probably end up on my to go list but if anything I'm looking to expand a little more.

As far as Rings and Clouds, Rings is one of the few modules I've ever pre-ordered and I bought Clouds shortly afterwards. So both have been used to death and any new and shiny feels are long gone with them. That said they're both excellent and I don't really want to part ways with them even to get smaller 8HP versions. But I have thought about putting them in a dedicated effects rack along with a stereo filter, phaser of some sort and the MN Mimeophon. My current patch I've been working on uses neither.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Same. That's also why I decided against picking up a Microcell (Clouds clone)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbenjamins View Post
Same. That's also why I decided against picking up a Microcell (Clouds clone)
Very different though. Clouds samples audio so it can sound wildly different based on what you put into it. The popular use that lots of people put in their videos is basically just long/infinite reverb, which is not the only thing it can do. And actually if that's what someone wants it can be achieved easier and cheaper with FX pedals by EHX, Zoom, or several others.
Old 6 days ago
Make noise DPO always handy !!!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

You know what's interesting to me about the whole idea that Rings and Clouds are played out...?

It's that that feeling must be limited to modular artists who listen to other modular artists a lot.

No regular music fan would give a damn or even recognize Clouds or Rings, in most cases, I'd bet.

It's funny. I like other modular artists as people and artists, I like sharing ideas, knowledge, techniques, sharing jokes, all that community stuff, and I genuinely wish them well in their creative endeavors, but I don't give a single damn what they're doing musically when it comes to what choices I make for my gear.

My ten closest friends could be wearing Rings track suits, Rings edition Gazelles, Rings flexfit caps, rolling up in a Lambo wrapped in Rings graphics, throwing diamond encrusted Rings out of their windows to toppless coeds like theyre on a parade float during Carnival, where they play a show with nothing but 100 Rings Modules, every weekend for 5yrs, and if I want a Rings module, I'm getting a Rings module.

Trends be damned.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

That's true. What's old to us is still new to many. Guess it's time to break out the fromage for the masses!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I recently sold my SSF Entities at a fair loss and, although I think they’re good modules, I wouldn’t buy them again.

The BD synth had an awesome sweet spot for a devastating kick but nothing I can’t make with Ripples and Maths. I found it was pretty one-trick though and BIA does a better, more versatile kick in a single module IMO.

The percussion synth was good but much harder to dial in than say Rings, which I much prefer for hand drum type sounds and you can always mix rings with noise to make other sounds. Boo to the posters above slating Rings

TLDR: Good modules but not as versatile as I thought they’d be over existing modules I had and difficult to justify 28HP on them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search