The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Modular fx unit?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Modular fx unit?

Here's a noob question.

Are there modular setups out there for effects only? I have a few standard synths already that I'm happy with, I wanted to know if I could build a modular system only for effects like saturation, reverb, echo, delay etc and modulate them with some lfo modules.

I'm not looking to actually generate sounds with this set up directly, rather I want to run sounds through it and/or use the CV inputs on my existing synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Of course you could do that if you wanted. Most are likely just going to use pedals or dedicated fx units
for that, as a fully modular effects rig isn't likely to be the most cost effective solution.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You could do that, but I wouldn't recommend it. Effects modules can get pretty pricey, but including case and power, you could potentially have a $1000+ row of modules that doesn't do anything your DAW/hardware couldn't do cheaper. And that price is assuming you went with cheap stuff, and cheap reverbs and stuff usually aren't all that great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’d strongly suggest starting with something like the Koma Field Kit FX if you want to go down that path, as it will give you a nice tidy standalone FX unit that you can expand on if you want to go further into modular FX, but won’t require you to spend more money if you decide it isn’t a format you want to fully invest in for that purpose.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I’d strongly suggest starting with something like the Koma Field Kit FX if you want to go down that path, as it will give you a nice tidy standalone FX unit that you can expand on if you want to go further into modular FX, but won’t require you to spend more money if you decide it isn’t a format you want to fully invest in for that purpose.
Good advice
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
Looking into it. Thanks for the recommendation!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes, the field kit is great.
You can build a dedicated FX modular, absolutely.
It depends a little bit on what you already have; what your setup is now, to fit that in.
Do you use MIDI? Or mostly software? Do you have a mixer? If yes, does the mixer have auxes?
Couple more questions:
Budget?
What kind of effects? (delays, reverb, phaser)
What quality? (rough or sophisticated sound)

Use modulargrid if you want to research different kinds of modules.
Old 4 weeks ago
I've always wanted to do this, basically to try and recreate Irmin Schmidt's Alpha 77:

"It's a set of modules in a box, basically: ring modulator, tape delay, spring reverb, chorus, pitch‑shifter, high‑ and low‑pass filters, resonant filters and a weird, pitch harmonic shifter thing."

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search