The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Synchable LFO's?
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Head
Synchable LFO's?

I have a Doepfer A-145-1 LFO and its cool that you can reset it. Helps me a lot when doing groove based stuff. I see most LFO modules are only free running though.

So are there cheap clockable or at least resetable LFO modules out there? Preferably not more than 4HP or so.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Way bigger than your size request, but one of my favorite LFO-esque modules is the 4ms PEG. Being able to shape the attack and decay, loop it, reshape it, etc. is an amazing thing.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Probably too big for you, and too expensive, but the Abstract Data ADE 32 Octocontroller is my goto for any sync'd LFO's. Batumi will also sync to a clock, but the Octocontroller is a lot easier to work with when it comes to phasing and it has stepped random, which the Batumi lacks.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

MI Peaks is one of my favorite LFOs. It does synced and resetting. It's discontinued but you can find DIY and used versions. Also function generators with a loop setting like Maths work great for this although they can be a little fiddly to dial in the right timing. 4ms also has the Quad Pingable LFO in addition to the PEG Derp mentioned. I haven't used that one but I've heard good things about it.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Although it's both fairly large, costly and feels a bit like cheating, one of the main attractions (imho) to the
1010 Toolbox was the LFO system. No muss, no fuss, the closest thing to using the LFO's from a DAW
like Bitwig or Live. Which is what I'll wind up doing mostly anyway, once I get all the gear I need for that.

On top of that, it does much more than LFO's
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
Probably too big for you, and too expensive, but the Abstract Data ADE 32 Octocontroller is my goto for any sync'd LFO's. Batumi will also sync to a clock, but the Octocontroller is a lot easier to work with when it comes to phasing and it has stepped random, which the Batumi lacks.
Came to say the same thing. Octocontroller is my favorite source for synced LFOs (and more) by a country mile...just super tight, and a whole lot of fun with clock multiplication/ division and phase offset. Batumi is nice too, but doesn’t seem as tight to me. I also quite like the Noise Engineering Pons Asinorum, as the OP said they were looking for small HP options.

Also OP, if 4HP is the absolute max size you can fit, always a good excuse to get a Disting.
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Addict

I am thinking of getting a Pamela's New Workout.

Ornament and Crime's quadrature LFO's (Quadraturia) can be synced too, at least that's how I understand the tap tempo mode.
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Although it's both fairly large, costly and feels a bit like cheating, one of the main attractions (imho) to the
1010 Toolbox was the LFO system. No muss, no fuss, the closest thing to using the LFO's from a DAW
like Bitwig or Live. Which is what I'll wind up doing mostly anyway, once I get all the gear I need for that.

On top of that, it does much more than LFO's
How is the sequencing on it? I never hear anything about that aspect of it, though with it being a touch-screen, it should be a blast, right?
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
How is the sequencing on it? I never hear anything about that aspect of it, though with it being a touch-screen, it should be a blast, right?
It works very well and is definitely a lot fun. The screen is pretty tiny for programming note patterns, tho its zoom and scrollable,
you can use midi files and record as well. Still a few things to figure out like the multi-track thing, something like a song mode I guess.

Also, I kind of want to get a laser to go with it
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

The STE.16 is two clockable, resetable, LFOs in 10hp. And I got mine for $150 used. It was supposed to arrive today but I missed the delivery (curses the sky...), so tomorrow I will get to try it out in person.

There are essentially zero useful YouTube videos on it, but its an LFO (dual, digital, 16 waveform options), not rocket science, I'm counting on it working just fine. They (Studio Electronics) have a good reputation overall.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

No doubt the STE.16 will work fine, I don’t even have a dedicated LFO. Mostly I just use Maths, or a free VCO.

Now I can use 9 of them or so, most I have used so far is 3 at once.
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Regarding the Toolbox: Once you get used to it, pinching and dragging to zoom and scroll is quick
and easy. Theres also auto- zoom and scroll to help you out, which works pretty well. Basically,
it's no worse than using a cell phone.

I am nearly 50, so I have to zoom a fair amount. Even though I am not quite to the reading glasses stage
just yet.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
Even though I am not quite to the reading glasses stage just yet.
Yeah, that's a lie I love to tell myself, too. I find myself squinting a lot more these days.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Nut

Erica Synths Black LFO
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
I have a Doepfer A-145-1 LFO and its cool that you can reset it. Helps me a lot when doing groove based stuff. I see most LFO modules are only free running though.

So are there cheap clockable or at least resetable LFO modules out there? Preferably not more than 4HP or so.
My only pure lfo modules are doepfer a147 and a147-2 vc lfos. with at least 200hz range. resettable yes!

the a111-3 can also be run as lfo with 2 ranges, also cv-able.

both of these are pretty much as bad ass as you are likely to find with "regular" lfos imo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
I am thinking of getting a Pamela's New Workout.
i have that one. what do you want to know?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Cheap resetable LFO module in 5HP : Eowave Zone B.F : http://www.eowave.com/zone-b-f/ (~100€)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The STE.16 and uLFO (and Mux, Burst, and PEG) have been synced all kinds.of ways this week, all quite successfully. The NLC Divide & Conquer arrived and is great for what I wanted. It has divisions down to 1/256ths, plus groups of 7ths, 6ths, and 3rds on there too.

I've got syncopated fart noises on lock!

Leveling up...

I'll get to meandering drones next week.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
i have that one. what do you want to know?
Thanks for offering your help! I think I know what I want to know.
Only thing I don't know is if I need this and an Octocontroller or if I just want it...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A few comments, O_C as an LFO would be a waste , and I have two many clocks to drive to use PNW as one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by void23 View Post
A few comments, O_C as an LFO would be a waste , and I have two many clocks to drive to use PNW as one.
That's why it would be great to have a few ornaments.

Piqued are my favorite envelopes, most of the time I use o_c in this mode.

But then I'd like to open my vcas with o_c's quadrature lfos or drive my oscillators with the shift register...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Of Nebula View Post
Thanks for offering your help! I think I know what I want to know.
Only thing I don't know is if I need this and an Octocontroller or if I just want it...
I can to to condense my experience with it. i bought it knowing absolutely jack S about it except it does master tempos.

Turned out it does a sh1tload more. And in a good way. the menu is very good and easy to understand. and the operation is very straight forward. it can either clock a lot of crap or/and do exiting other tempo related things kinda.

No one needs it. But it quite nice to have. but sincve it does so many things its kinda hard to not get blown away when decieding what each channel should actually do. it can definitely overpower you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
I can to to condense my experience with it. i bought it knowing absolutely jack S about it except it does master tempos.

Turned out it does a sh1tload more. And in a good way. the menu is very good and easy to understand. and the operation is very straight forward. it can either clock a lot of crap or/and do exiting other tempo related things kinda.

No one needs it. But it quite nice to have. but sincve it does so many things its kinda hard to not get blown away when decieding what each channel should actually do. it can definitely overpower you.
Yeah, I know it's versatile. Clocking is exactly the thing I wouldn't get it for.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

if you have a good sized modular its very likely you can already do everything the module does. but it might take 1-2-5-7 modules to do that etc etc. and this one does 8 of them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I like the Toolbox gates and triggers as you can simply draw them out. I can't imagine anything
being able to replicate that with modulation, division or whatever. And you can still modulate and
divide them as well. You can also modulate note transposition in the sequencing, which is cool imo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search