The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound design help wanted (Lars Huismann - Frozen Minds (techno))
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

Sound design help wanted (Lars Huismann - Frozen Minds (techno))

After some advice on this.

What type of synth would you say is best equipped to create a patch like the main riff in this track?
And can anyone give advice on how it is programmed?
I’m no trying to rip , I just want to learn

Thanks

Old 27th May 2019
Hey welcome to Gearslutz

The basic tones you can make with a lot of synths. You'll need a good sequencer. Any DAW will do, but to get that timing right, I just love hardware for that.
But I guess your question is about the "rubbery" sound.
The track is processed, there's some reverb on it as well but to me it sounds like Karplus Strong effects you'd get from a short delay. Korg calls it a "wave guide" on their Volca Drum. But you could use any BBD (bucket brigade delay) with that, they all work well if they allow very short delays (a few miliseconds) here is more about that method of synthesis. There's also dedicated modules such as the 2hp Pluck
Also you can get close with a wave multiplier/folder/shaper circuit, such as on the Make Noise 0-Coast or here on a Serge: link
And there's granular synthesis, with a bit of filtering there's some "rubbery sounds" link

So, there's a lot of ways to get this type of sounds.
I'd recommend getting a Make Noise 0-Coast if you want a full hardware synth that you can experiment with (and later expand upon), or the Korg Volca Drum link to video for more percussive sounds (when I get my tax return I'm getting one myself, what a cool little box). Or dive right in and start a eurorack.

Start off with the free modular software VCV though. You'll learn a LOT about synthesis, before you spend any money. Check here for a video.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome1 View Post
After some advice on this.

What type of synth would you say is best equipped to create a patch like the main riff in this track?
And can anyone give advice on how it is programmed?
I’m no trying to rip , I just want to learn

Thanks

sorry for OT, but I do like that cover artwork!
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Hey welcome to Gearslutz

The basic tones you can make with a lot of synths. You'll need a good sequencer. Any DAW will do, but to get that timing right, I just love hardware for that.
But I guess your question is about the "rubbery" sound.
The track is processed, there's some reverb on it as well but to me it sounds like Karplus Strong effects you'd get from a short delay. Korg calls it a "wave guide" on their Volca Drum. But you could use any BBD (bucket brigade delay) with that, they all work well if they allow very short delays (a few miliseconds) here is more about that method of synthesis. There's also dedicated modules such as the 2hp Pluck
Also you can get close with a wave multiplier/folder/shaper circuit, such as on the Make Noise 0-Coast or here on a Serge: link
And there's granular synthesis, with a bit of filtering there's some "rubbery sounds" link

So, there's a lot of ways to get this type of sounds.
I'd recommend getting a Make Noise 0-Coast if you want a full hardware synth that you can experiment with (and later expand upon), or the Korg Volca Drum link to video for more percussive sounds (when I get my tax return I'm getting one myself, what a cool little box). Or dive right in and start a eurorack.

Start off with the free modular software VCV though. You'll learn a LOT about synthesis, before you spend any money. Check here for a video.
I hope they pay you extra for being so helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search