The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Should I get a Neutron instead of VCF ADSR & VCA
Old 23rd May 2019
Should I get a Neutron instead of VCF ADSR & VCA

Hi
Just got a Qu Bit Chords, all my other modules so far are samplers and drums. Unless I'm missing something it seems far more economical getting a Neutron for the VCF, VCA and ADSR let alone the delay, distortion, sample hold, slew and atenuverters. Let alone the 2 VCO's. Ive read the manual and feel semi confident I can use it for its components this way. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm currently using my DFAM VCF and VCA which is awesomely gritty but pretty limited.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Maniac
yes, I agree, I have a SEM, I like sequencing on the modular... semi-modular synths are great with euro -good foundation
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's not an uncommon approach. When I started, I used a Kraftwerg for most of the utility modules. That's why I bought a Neutron was because if I didn't like it, then $300 is still a good price for nearly a whole row of utilities.
Old 3rd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Ii'm considering that too. I have Plaits, Rings, Marbles, Stages and uO_C. Neutron would give some interesting things.
Old 5th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
People love the Neutron and it is great value but it is designed by people that didn't really understand typical modular voltages or had to build to a price point.

I'm probably more OCD than most but I can't own something that won't trigger the majority of modules because it's gate voltage is only 3.5v

If you can afford it as an impulse purchase sure, but if you plan to go "full eurorack" I"d skip it. The best deal on a semi modular IMO is the O Coast. It is packed full of useful bits & pieces from Make Noise modules and has the right voltages to work with everything.
From a question I asked. It came down to 0coast or SV-1. The SV-1 has a ton of stuff and a lot of outs, but twice the cost. 0coast just sounds great, loads of hidden tricks too like PWM.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, it looks good on paper. But when I got the Neutron, it didn't take long for me to go full eurorack. As a subtractive mono synth it's nothing special, quite unmusical (few sweetspots) and harsh compared to, say, my Moog Source. Korg Monologue territory. But it's a cheap way to start exploring modular. So I used the Neutron for about a week, then for the next few weeks for utilities. While I was building my small eurorack I couldn't wait to get all the necessary utility modules to get rid of the Neutron. It looked really ugly in my Mantis case! OTOH the Neutron is still in my cupboard, don't want to sell it. Maybe to have extra utilities available and maybe some day I'll give it another chance.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search