The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Arp 2600
Old 13th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Arp 2600

Afternoon all. I'm almost finished on a modular Arp 2600 clone and will be offering PCB's and front panels for sale in the not too distant future to anyone interested. There's some info at this thread

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...178&highlight=

where i'll continue to add updates, but will also check here so feel free to ask any questions on either forum. Only the oscillator modules across the top and the filter on the left of the middle row have the final front panels on them, the rest are just temporary overlays so i could get the graphics somewhere close.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Arp 2600-my-pic.jpg   Arp 2600-my-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by dankelly; 3 weeks ago at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Removed Eurorack compatibility claim as confusion may ensue. More detailed reason in post dated 22 June 2019
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

This is an awfully ambitious project you've started. Good luck to you!
Old 26th May 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Dan,

Thank you for also posting here. I dont have a MF account and i am very intersted in this. Especially if its DIY.

When you say you offer PCB and front panels you mean its going to by DIY, right?

Is it going to be modules or all on one big PCB? I'd prefer modules.

I usually DIY during the winter, so i'd hope its ready by then?

best regards
Coorec
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Hi Dan,

Thank you for also posting here. I dont have a MF account and i am very intersted in this. Especially if its DIY.

When you say you offer PCB and front panels you mean its going to by DIY, right?

Is it going to be modules or all on one big PCB? I'd prefer modules.

I usually DIY during the winter, so i'd hope its ready by then?

best regards
Coorec
Hi Coorec.

Yes that is correct, this is to be a DIY project. I will supply 10 front panels and 10 PCB’s which you will build the synth from after sourcing all necessary components. I will also offer individual modules incase someone wanted to add an extra oscillator or whatever, essentially giving you the option of building it as it was originally intended on the ARP 2600, or customising to suit your needs.

The prototype is now complete and fully working, and all front panels are fitted so the final look of the synth can now be appreciated. I’ve yet to upload any pics of this but I intend to in the next few days.

The next thing for me to do is order the PCB’s based on my prototypes, and then I’m going to build another complete unit from scratch from these to ensure there are no problems. I’ll document this in a build diary also, which will then serve as a resource to assist others.

The hard work is now done and I’m hoping to be ready to sell these within the next couple of months, which should tie in with your winter schedule.

Thanks for the interest, if you have any other questions please fire away

Dan
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Progress update pics, all front panels are now installed
Attached Thumbnails
Arp 2600-image1-2.jpeg   Arp 2600-image2-2.jpeg  
Old 28th May 2019
That looks very good. Please post more details, sound examples please?!
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear
This looks really good, will help put the TTSH lust to bed.... maybe.... Any rough ideas on pricing...?

Was also wondering about power, somewhere you mentioned not using the original power system, so not sure if you had something else in mind, or just left up to the builder? If so, have you had chance to check approximate requirements yet ?

Saw the latest pix on Muffs and wondering if you've finalized the panels? Minor issues in the larger scheme of things but two things in particular bug me a bit. First the "ring modulator" label box not lining up with the others grates a bit. Could be fixed by just rather swapping it and the logo position - kind of feel the box reads more prominently, and would be less of an "issue" for the logos to be "off" than the boxes as our eyes tend to follow along the straight lines of the boxes... Possibly even better, just move the logo onto the top left for that particular panel. Noticed you had "fixed" another earlier panel that was also out of alignment, so maybe you've already done this.

Another little pedantic niggle is that all the box text is centre-aligned (as on the original), but suddenly the envelope labels are left aligned. The original also has the "extra" little pictures for the envelopes, but the attack/sustain/etc are still all centre-aligned with each other.

Hope you'll be able to incorporate the above, but while I'm nitpicking I'll add two other things I'd maybe have done that are probably less likely, but might as well get them off my chest: The sliders are suddenly horizontal on the voltage processor. There could well be some logic to this, but as you've moved all the other originally horizontal faders to vertical, it seems a little arbitrary to stick to it there and might be more consistent to have them all vertical....? Someone on muffs asked for a "more useful" voltage processor too, so if you do get to redesigning, might be something to think about, otherwise as it appears the panel is almost square, might it just be easy to rotate?

Last thing is maybe just a personal one, and I guess it was probably a cost-saving decision too, but I've always been partial to the red-white-black livery versions. Not sure if that relates at all to the specific versions you've used for the circuits, but any chance you'd be able to offer a choice, even if there's a cost bump? (I might even volunteer to do the artwork conversion for you if it so)

Oh, and once you're there, it would really lower the barrier to entry if you saved some mouser carts for each module... I've been turned off quite a few larger projects simply by the hassle of sourcing parts or having vague BOMs or projects stalled around waiting to find some weird tranny that I didn't realise would be so difficult to come by. Also kind of annoying to spend a few hours making your own cart just to figure out you can't afford the thing!

Looking forward to seeing the "final" build and getting started on my own!
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
That looks very good. Please post more details, sound examples please?!
Cheers, heres a short video from before i had all the modules completed. I need to do some more once i have time in the next week or 2. Please ask if theres anything in particular you would like to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6Sb3gT7yo
Old 29th May 2019
Here for the gear

Behringer just announced a 2600 PCB clone, prob with Eurorack connectivity too
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi butter, thanks for the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter View Post
This looks really good, will help put the TTSH lust to bed.... maybe.... Any rough ideas on pricing...?
Nothing set in stone yet but as i stated elsewhere i want this to be affordable, so i can guarantee it will be under £200 for all 10 modules (10 PCB's and 10 front panels)

Quote:
Was also wondering about power, somewhere you mentioned not using the original power system, so not sure if you had something else in mind, or just left up to the builder? If so, have you had chance to check approximate requirements yet ?
I'm using a linear supply and an AC/AC power adaptor (wall wart) There are possibly better options but this is working fine for me. It's similiar to the Ray Wilson one on MFOS so there's good information on it there. Not sure what the exact current draw is but i'll put my meter on it and confirm. Pretty sure it'll be way under 1 amp.

Quote:
Saw the latest pix on Muffs and wondering if you've finalized the panels? Minor issues in the larger scheme of things but two things in particular bug me a bit. First the "ring modulator" label box not lining up with the others grates a bit. Could be fixed by just rather swapping it and the logo position - kind of feel the box reads more prominently, and would be less of an "issue" for the logos to be "off" than the boxes as our eyes tend to follow along the straight lines of the boxes... Possibly even better, just move the logo onto the top left for that particular panel. Noticed you had "fixed" another earlier panel that was also out of alignment, so maybe you've already done this.
Yes design is finalised. There was a compromise to be made with the graphics and, given that the logo sits in that location on the other 9 modules, and that it also marks the right hand edge of each module i didnt want to move it. If it were on the left it would have interfered with the Preamp header. The graphics on the original are a bit all over the place due to the nature of it, and given the fact that the 'Reverberator' and 'Noise Gen' (on my version) as well as the 'Mixer' (original version) are out of alignment I felt it was an acceptable compromise.

Quote:
Another little pedantic niggle is that all the box text is centre-aligned (as on the original), but suddenly the envelope labels are left aligned. The original also has the "extra" little pictures for the envelopes, but the attack/sustain/etc are still all centre-aligned with each other.
I think you may be referring to a newer version as the original grey ones definitely had left alignment on the envelope generators.

Quote:
Hope you'll be able to incorporate the above, but while I'm nitpicking I'll add two other things I'd maybe have done that are probably less likely, but might as well get them off my chest: The sliders are suddenly horizontal on the voltage processor. There could well be some logic to this, but as you've moved all the other originally horizontal faders to vertical, it seems a little arbitrary to stick to it there and might be more consistent to have them all vertical....? Someone on muffs asked for a "more useful" voltage processor too, so if you do get to redesigning, might be something to think about, otherwise as it appears the panel is almost square, might it just be easy to rotate?
I wanted to keep as much of the original layout as possible. Other faders had to be moved as those modules would have been too tall for Euro. The VP was fine as it was so i kept it the same.

Quote:
Last thing is maybe just a personal one, and I guess it was probably a cost-saving decision too, but I've always been partial to the red-white-black livery versions. Not sure if that relates at all to the specific versions you've used for the circuits, but any chance you'd be able to offer a choice, even if there's a cost bump? (I might even volunteer to do the artwork conversion for you if it so)
This wouldnt be something i'd be looking to do at this point as it would not be cost/time effective. Let's get this thing out there first and see what the interest is like and then maybe other versions may be possible in future.

Quote:
Oh, and once you're there, it would really lower the barrier to entry if you saved some mouser carts for each module... I've been turned off quite a few larger projects simply by the hassle of sourcing parts or having vague BOMs or projects stalled around waiting to find some weird tranny that I didn't realise would be so difficult to come by. Also kind of annoying to spend a few hours making your own cart just to figure out you can't afford the thing!
I'm considering this. The thing to understand is that you're always going to spend more buying everything from Mouser, potentially pricing yourself out. Some have issues with components and stuff from China but i honestly don't, and haven't had any problems yet. You can save a fortune this way and shouldn't have anymore issues than buying everything from Mouser. That being said, there are some parts that will have to be bought from a big retailer (Faders for one) and all part numbers etc will be required, so i may just do a shopping cart for reference. I'd still buy the majority from ebay/China though.
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooshMcD View Post
Behringer just announced a 2600 PCB clone, prob with Eurorack connectivity too
That was always on the cards. Plenty will go for that option for sure, I think there's also a fair few others who tend to steer clear of Behringer.
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankelly View Post
That was always on the cards. Plenty will go for that option for sure, I think there's also a fair few others who tend to steer clear of Behringer.
Such closed mindedness*, you are loosing sympathy points with me there.

I am interested in your project because i like to build modules.
For many ARP lovers who dont share this joy/hobby there is no reasonable alternative.
Behringer is a manufacturer just like any other. Just like you or Doepfer or anyone else. No one went bonkers when Roland entered Eurorack.

*under the assumption that with "steer clear" you mean something like avoiding a sickness by not getting in contact with it
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Maniac

New demo video

Old 3rd June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Behringer is a manufacturer just like any other.
Behringer is a company that has a reputation of sometimes copying, other times just out right stealing other companies designs and mass producing them. I think that is why you will find some folks will "steer clear" of them.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNerell View Post
Behringer is a company that has a reputation of sometimes copying, other times just out right stealing other companies designs and mass producing them. I think that is why you will find some folks will "steer clear" of them.
Thats describing like 40% of the module-makers in Eurorack and 90% in 5U.

I am here for the ARP 2600 btw. and will not continue to discuss Behringer. I dont care more for them than for other companies, nor less.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Build thread started here

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/vi...c.php?t=218333

Cheers
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

MS20, Roland Juno, anything MOOG and an arp 2600 are the brands/sounds that got me into wanting to learn synthesis. I dont have a KARP, an actual arp 2600, and i want to get into modular. im severely interested in your system, the price is nice too. My friend and me were just talking of doing a joint project with DIY but didnt know if we wanted to make a single synth, like this, or mix modules.

We were literally saying hey that Behreinger clone...

Hats off to all your hard work done already and anything ahead. Cheers to your good fortune you synth wizard you!
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
MS20, Roland Juno, anything MOOG and an arp 2600 are the brands/sounds that got me into wanting to learn synthesis. I dont have a KARP, an actual arp 2600, and i want to get into modular. im severely interested in your system, the price is nice too. My friend and me were just talking of doing a joint project with DIY but didnt know if we wanted to make a single synth, like this, or mix modules.

We were literally saying hey that Behreinger clone...

Hats off to all your hard work done already and anything ahead. Cheers to your good fortune you synth wizard you!

Thanks man, should hopefully be ready to take orders before long so stay tuned if you fancy it
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Looks great, like the sound demo's,

LEDs on the sliding pots would of been the icing on the cake but hey i feel rude mentioning it considering the time and effort you must of put into this project.

Ive retired my soldering iron the last year or so, but this build might just tempt me back into it.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Ive retired my soldering iron the last year or so...
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Yes ruined my eyesight soldering SMT with these Irons, but ill be back........

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey guys is any of you gonna build/buy this synth?

I'm probably not. I have no space for more synths/modules at all. I just want to know what this brings to the table compared to, well, all other eurorack things? how much different does this sound?
Is it not about the sound but instead about the feel of the whole package??
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Due to some advice received elsewhere, I have removed the claims that this synth is Eurorack compatible. My intention was to make the build as easy as possible for any prospective builders, and therefore I designed the synth around some of the same specs;

Physical dimensions-This still applies and the synth will fit straight into an off the shelf Eurorack enclosure.

Power Connector-I utilised the same -v GND GND GND +v configuration that the Euro format follows, thinking that keeping leads and connectors etc the same would be cheaper and more straightforward. Given that the ARP operates on +-15v and not the Euro standard +-12v, it was always going to be necessary for an independent power supply, however as has been pointed out this will inevitably result in people thinking it can be plugged straight into their existing Euro power rig, which is not the case. The power connector will be changed as a result.

Control voltages operate at 0-5v and audio is 10v peak to peak, the same as Euro. However, what i am offering is intended as an expandable, independent system which happens to utilise some off the shelf hardware.

Sorry for any confusion caused

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search