The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live Sample Audio Mangling in 48hp Modular Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Live Sample Audio Mangling in 48hp

I wanted to pick up a Lifeforms SV1 the moment I watched Nick’s sonic lab review and finally had the opportunity when I came across a Lifeforms System 101 on eBay. Well, I had not seriously considered getting into Modular but the opportunity was something I could not pass up.

So, now I have a Lifeforms SV1 (incredible sounding, although I had to sell a Little Phatty to get it), and 48 hp of empty space. I’m content with my traditional synthesis and sequencing options, but I have come to the conclusion that I am missing out on live sample mangling and granular synthesis. This really became obvious when I watched Instruo’s demo of their new Arbhar module.

So, anyone have any ideas about modules to accompany a granular synth like the morphagene or arbhar? I’m looking at getting a dual vca, batumi, and wogglebug with maybe an 8hp clouds for all the craziness that can provide. What are some suggestions? Anything I’m missing in terms of wavefolding, distortion or other non-modulating options?

Thanks!

Alex
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Morphagene (or Phonogene if you don't mind mono) and Clouds are both great ideas for what you're wanting to accomplish. The only thing I'd really add is that they both needs tons of modulation to get the most out of them, and Batumi plus Wogglebug will almost certainly get you there. If you're just looking for options right now, the Qu-Bit Nebulae is a bit of a badass, and version 1's are pretty cheap.
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Maniac

A couple of decent WAV players work well. I like mine with additional effects so I made this.

Old 1 week ago
Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely check out the nebulae! Care to share more about that Korg? I assume you used a donor for the module? Some small kaoss pad? End result looks fantastic!
Old 1 week ago
DSC
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenOne View Post
Care to share more about that Korg? I assume you used a donor for the module? Some small kaoss pad? End result looks fantastic!
Yes, why Korg has not entered into the euro world, I will never know. Cause this module would sell like hot cakes. It's more of a Swiss Army Knife module. Take any Korg MKP2s and rip out the guts and mount behind a panel. Add attenuation pots to the incoming signal and boost the outputs. Add a little CV control and you are good to go. I have them in all of my portable cases!

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
A couple of decent WAV players work well. I like mine with additional effects so I made this.

That. Is. Awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search