The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any of you hardware fellas have thoughts on Bitwig's Grid?
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear
Any of you hardware fellas have thoughts on Bitwig's Grid?

I was interested in how more experienced modular guys are seeing the grid. For example the modules you all consider a must have, versus what is currently available in the Grid. Can you recreate similar versions of your setups and then add other modules to get an idea of your next purchase?

It seems like a very, very cool addition to the DAW I now use, but I'm not nearly as well-versed in Modular synthesis, so I thought I'd ask.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Certainly the grid is cool. Aside from learning what type of modules you might need or would
get a lot of use out of while using a modular system, the grid isnt going to be much help while
deciding on available HW modules.

Look to Softube Modular, VCV or to a lesser extent Cherry Audio Voltage Modular for that.

That said, if you want a software modular that can be set up to work very well with your
hardware system, Bitwig 'mostly' is leading the pack amongst other DAWs (currently).
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear
Makes sense. Softube modular looks pretty amazing. I didnt know it was out there. Softube makes great plugs.

What has grabbed me about the grid is that you can use it as an effect with vsts. This is something i need to dig into more but it seems like it could be very powerful.
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

The grid is awesome, definitely. If you just want to explore the modular synthesis paradigm,
there's no need for anything else really. The grid should keep you busy a while.

Later, if you want to get into more advanced systems, like Max or Reaktor, or even move
onto HW modular, you can't go wrong with what you can learn from the grid.

Cheers,

Have fun
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
..or to a lesser extent Cherry Audio Voltage Modular for that.
Why is Voltage Modular applicable to a "lesser extent" than VCV?
I get that Softube has teamed up with Doepfer for developing modules and that the modules are more true to the EuroRack standard, but it's a closed system, even if it looks good. The price for the modules are also much higher than for other systems.

I feel that Voltage is more true to a real world modular synth than any other.
And the fact that Voltage Modular can be run both as a stand-alone application, and as a VST, VST3, AU, AAX plugin and comes with a free Module Designer that lets anyone with some programming skills create and design their own modules and even sell them on the CherryAudio web store also makes it a really nice alternative.

To quote a Gear News review:
Quote:
It’s a virtual Eurorack environment. It’s funkier and freer than Softube Modular and simpler and more compatible than VCV Rack and so has every opportunity to make a name for itself as a virtual modular synth.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsOfSound View Post
Why is Voltage Modular applicable to a "lesser extent" than VCV?
I just meant that you are not going to find many digital versions of real life
"brand name" modules in VM. E.g. you cant give say, Mutable's Clouds a try
in VM, because it doesn't exist there. There is only one module in VM that
can be purchased as hardware, (that I am aware of). That is the VORG filter
from Vult.

I love Vult's designs btw, I wish he would translate more into HW. Particularly
Noxious and Rescomb 2
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear
Yeah, ok. Not many "real life" devices in VM yet at least.
Let's hope that changes!
I've recently purchased a VM bundle with lots of good stuff, as they're having a up to 75% sale right now, and it is indeed fun to play with.
The modules themselves are created using Java, but the whole system itself is built from highly optimized C++ and C code, and once the modules are loaded they're compiled into efficient run-time code.
It's really fun to fire up the Module Designer and play with the framework. Using Java as the extension language makes it easy to get going programming your own modules.
At least in my case, as I've worked as a developer for many years using amongst other languages, Java.

I hope Voltage Modular will continue to evolve into the leading platform for software based modular synths!
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear
The real life discussion is cool because that’s kind of what I was alluding to when I made this thread. I was not clear enough, but basically with The Grid, I was wondering what or if it reminded you all of any hardware modules that you like.

For me, if I was going to make a modular, it would be for making counter melodies and off beat chord stabs. So some sort of sequencer that dials up Euclidean rhythms and things of that nature would be awesome. When it comes to oscillators, I am a basic saw, square, triangle guy so anything covers that. I’m not sure if the grid has a sequencer module in it. I am 90% finished with a song in Bitwig 2.5, and I want to complete it before moving to the Beta. So for now I am just learning about it and trying to figure out what is coming.
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
The real life discussion is cool because that’s kind of what I was alluding to when I made this thread. I was not clear enough, but basically with The Grid, I was wondering what or if it reminded you all of any hardware modules that you like.
I've given The Grid in Bitwig a try, and I'd say it doesn't resemble any real-world hardware equivalent, and that's neither the aim of the Bitwig Grid.
It's a modular system, but it's not a modular system modeled after any modular synth hardware platform.
Old 5th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post

For me, if I was going to make a modular, it would be for making counter melodies and off beat chord stabs. So some sort of sequencer that dials up Euclidean rhythms and things of that nature would be awesome. When it comes to oscillators, I am a basic saw, square, triangle guy so anything covers that. I’m not sure if the grid has a sequencer module in it. I am 90% finished with a song in Bitwig 2.5, and I want to complete it before moving to the Beta. So for now I am just learning about it and trying to figure out what is coming.
Yep it does and I believe it would be pretty easy to make a euclidian style step sequencer in it. Depends how you access the master clock, and how you can set the bpm and steps, but it could be as simple as (bpm/16)*y=correct step sequencer clock bpm.

Ableton already have this feature But no one wants to learn max.
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
Yep it does and I believe it would be pretty easy to make a euclidian style step sequencer in it. Depends how you access the master clock, and how you can set the bpm and steps, but it could be as simple as (bpm/16)*y=correct step sequencer clock bpm.

Ableton already have this feature But no one wants to learn max.
Thats what I am hoping for. A module that is like some of the max plugs. I do have a max plug that I cant think of the name of, but it is an amazing Euclidean sequencer. You can quickly dial in a rhythm with minimal effort. I’d love something like that in a grid module.
Old 5th June 2019
HSi
Lives for gear

Max isn't as hard as you might think to learn btw. It's not so different to some of the stuff you might do in grid.

https://www.kadenze.com/courses/prog...igital-arts-i/

Its a course taught from Stanford, by the guy who co-developed OSC(open sound control)and a lot more. I'm pretty sure its free to watch.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search