The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Voltage Research Laboratory by Pittsburgh Modular
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Voltage Research Laboratory by Pittsburgh Modular

The Kickstarter went live today - looks amazing.

I managed to get the LAST of the early bird bundles. Complete system (all modules + case) for almost $400 off. Whew...

This thing looks glorious.

Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...modular-synthe

Old 8th May 2019
Gear Nut

So it was you

Arrgh.

I just jumped on the next pledge for a complete system anyway
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelabs View Post
So it was you

Arrgh.

I just jumped on the next pledge for a complete system anyway
I saw the Kickstarter before leaving to go to the studio and I figured, eh... I'll pledge when I get there.

By the time I got to my computer the $1249 was all gone and there was only one $1279 left!

Really excited for it - I would have ordered even at the full prices of course, but this was extra nice.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Head

Yeah, this looks super nice. Not sure which configuration I will go with? I would definitely prefer some sorta portable case. I'm not into the angled slant case thingie. I might have to make a small DIY Halliburton case just for this. I also would rather have a more compact utility module thats not 10hp with all that wasted space. But it does look pretty slick as a complete system.

This is such a cool little compact "westcoast-ish" voice. Smartly done and very competitive to whats already out there.

Congrats to Pittsburgh.
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
The Kickstarter went live today - looks amazing.

I managed to get the LAST of the early bird bundles. Complete system (all modules + case) for almost $400 off. Whew...

This thing looks glorious.

Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...modular-synthe

holy sh7t that moved fast, the money was at about 10k and there were 19 of the full systems left a few hours ago, i went out for tea and a walk in the forest chasing fairies with my baby girl and this happens

still i can get the bugger, just means about 20 quid more so no biggie - HOW COOL is this thing though? really bloody beautiful and has crazy stuff inside, lovely kit

oh, congrats btw

already over the target now so it is definitely happening

edit: i have little idea WTF i will make with it apart from madness but i know it will keep me more than busy on the late nights or when i've had too many additives
Old 8th May 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
I'm not sure.. it just doesn't seem like it has a whole lot more than the microvolt besides the keyboard, and I really like the microvolt.. I'm not sure what to do.. I would have to sell my microvolt and my digitakt.. what should I do you guys? The music easel had already been my dream.. but it has about the same amount of modules as the microvolt and I'm not sure about folding the other waves, I'm not sure is that great for the price, I mean due to the fact my money is so tight..
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
holy sh7t that moved fast, the money was at about 10k and there were 19 of the full systems left a few hours ago, i went out for tea and a walk in the forest chasing fairies with my baby girl and this happens

still i can get the bugger, just means about 20 quid more so no biggie - HOW COOL is this thing though? really bloody beautiful and has crazy stuff inside, lovely kit

oh, congrats btw

already over the target now so it is definitely happening

edit: i have little idea WTF i will make with it apart from madness but i know it will keep me more than busy on the late nights or when i've had too many additives
The madness is exactly what I find irresistible about this thing.

Also, I've had a Microvolt 3900 for about a year and I bloody LOVE the thing. It's a genuinely different, inspiring and great sounding little synth and I expect this new thing to be that and so much more.
Old 9th May 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
I'm sure it will be incredible, I'm really excited for you!! It will be epic and from what I've heard it's really intense.. I'm gonna pass for now but just because I need to focus on more Melody and sequencing now than crazy sound design or I would order this thing in a heartbeat. I still might.. lol.
I wanna hear more melodic stuff from the internal analog sequencer thing with the pads.. I wish they would demo some interesting loops you could use in a beat more than the bird chirps.. not that that's not cool but it's allot of money.

Sorry if I'm taking over this thread, I'll shut up now.
Old 9th May 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Sorry, one more question, if I do the Kickstarter, when do I actually have to pay for it? Like in a month or what? They said we would get it in September.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Sorry, one more question, if I do the Kickstarter, when do I actually have to pay for it? Like in a month or what? They said we would get it in September.
You are charged when the campaign closes - so June 9 in this case.

I would just wait if I were you - I know you are a fan but it seems like you got other priorities right now, and while Pittsburgh Modular is a tiny 6 person operation, I am sure they will be still around and making these crazy things a year from now.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datpersian View Post
This thing looks like tons of fun. And liked the youtube vid too, even if what those guys were saying was a load of bollocks.
You didn't buy the whole "folding the unfoldable" thing? Or was it the sounds of nature part...

They seems like really cool guys - definitely have that nerdy synth nutjob vibe going. Our kind of people.
Old 9th May 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
You are charged when the campaign closes - so June 9 in this case.

I would just wait if I were you - I know you are a fan but it seems like you got other priorities right now, and while Pittsburgh Modular is a tiny 6 person operation, I am sure they will be still around and making these crazy things a year from now.
Yes I'm going to take your advice, I'm still really content with the microvolt, although this is sick.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
folding the unfoldable, a synth like sounds of nature, something about geometry....what a sack 'o rubbish.
A sack of lovely, desirable, exciting and highly i-want-it-right-now rubbish.
Absolutely :P
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
folding the unfoldable, a synth like sounds of nature, something about geometry....what a sack 'o rubbish.
Ever tried to put a square wave through a wavefolder? Doesn't do much. Excited to see what the folding circuit does to square waves and saw waves
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

I'd really like to hear something more musical from that synth.
BTW does it have a midi CV converter like the Micro-Volt ?
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
I'd really like to hear something more musical from that synth.
BTW does it have a midi CV converter like the Micro-Volt ?
It looks like the same thing as on the Microvolt (midi in, gate, cv/mod, clock), and an arpeggiator.

As for musical examples, time will tell but I certainly don't want this to be a traditional 'musical' synth. I plan to pair it with a DFAM and other atonal DIY droney things.

Doesn't mean it won't be able to be used as a 12-tones well-tuned melodic synth
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Man this looks really easy to use and be productive for such a tiny thing.

Edit: F it.. I've just pledged!
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Head

Seriously tempted to go for the main unit on kickstarter. It's around $A1000, but that's a decent saving on the regular price so very tempted. Sounds fantastic. Very interesting synth.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Loving this one. Cant wait to try it out.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

$157,077 pledged of $60,000 goal as of now, with 24 days to go.

They have to be pretty stoked with the response to such a West Coast-y experimental little synth.
Old 22nd May 2019
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Man, that thing is gorgeous. The demos are great, too. Silly as the whole "sounds of nature" angle is, they did manage to get some great sounds out of this box.
Old 22nd May 2019
Kja
Lives for gear
It worries me that pittsburgh stuff doesn't seem to hold it's value very well.. I'm tired of buying expensive stuff that will devalue so quick.. I will wait this one out and get a microfreak in the meantime.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It worries me that pittsburgh stuff doesn't seem to hold it's value very well.. I'm tired of buying expensive stuff that will devalue so quick.. I will wait this one out and get a microfreak in the meantime.
As a noob modular customer, for some reason their stuff doesn't overly appeal
to me. Not sure why, while I know it's unfounded, I have the impression that
the stuff is nothing special.

I know perfectly well, that is unlikely to be true. Maybe it's something about
the marketing. *shrugs

Anyway, just sayin as I find it interesting. *VRL is the first thing of their's to generate
much interest in me actually.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have any examples of which parts/modules/synths dont hold value?
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It worries me that pittsburgh stuff doesn't seem to hold it's value very well..
Nothing in eurorack, outside of the top trends, is really holding value right now. I have several modules that WILL NOT sell. If they are not popular builders... something like Studio Electronics... you can forget it. You can sell it but only on a big lose. I've been trying to sell a Quadnic for months at huge discount. No interest.

Pittsburgh seems like the best value in modular right now. Their are making great stuff, and selling it mid to low price new. The new Primary Oscillator is huge value for $229. Doulbe Helix is $150 less DPO. Not exactly the same, but good value comparison.

Thumbs up for how those guys are improving and for great projects like VRL. I would buy it in a minute, if I haven't already bought too much stuff in the last few years.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekbro View Post
As a noob modular customer, for some reason their stuff doesn't overly appeal
to me. Not sure why, while I know it's unfounded, I have the impression that
the stuff is nothing special.

I know perfectly well, that is unlikely to be true. Maybe it's something about
the marketing. *shrugs
they're not very interesting visually/design-wise. a gorgeous look does really help for selling a synth as a dream, and PM only have the sound going for them IMO.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

I love it, because buying on the low is my favorite.

And I have a thousand things to buy.

By Grabthar's Hammer, What A Savings!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search